• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Saitama, Ballymore, Saturday 4th November @ 3:05pm

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Weather forecast isn't looking great, so will decide after lunch. Can tickets be bought at the gate or only online?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You can buy at the gate. But if you decide to go it’s probably just as easy to buy on like last minute easier. I think a little cheaper too.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

With no more external recruits to come there will probably be a few of the squad guys in this game picking up contracts. Of those I'm particularly keen to see how Minimbi goes as we could probably use one more super rugby ready lock to round out the squad. Also hoping for a strong first game from Daly, he's coming in with big wraps so hopefully he hits the ground running.

Anyone else standout to keep an eye on?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Took a bit to get into the game but a strong first half from the Reds.

A lot to like about Daly and Bryant in the forwards, scrum very strong, Toomaga-Allen giving away too many ruck penalties though. Might be a bit of a fitness issue there to work on during the break.

Harry McLaughlin-Phillips very dangerous with ball in hand but maybe playing a bit too loose. Could just be the nature of the game though. Grealy looking very keen, Kalani doing well when the ruck is not a mess.

A pity to see Ha'angana injured early, he was looking very imposing for Saitama.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I went out and enjoyed it. Was sat near a vocal group of Japanese fans which was cool.

Would like to watch the replay but from the ground:

I thought HMP was excellent. Very slick passing and positive attacking mindset. Very solid in defense too. By no means the kicking game that Lynagh has.

Really liked the work of both wingers with Ryan tough in D in the middle and Grealy very active. Flook was as classy as always.

Thought Anderson was very busy and productive and Bryant good in the first half. Uru and Wilson found their way into the game later. Agree with Wilson about Daly too.

Jeffery Toomaga-Allen is one big human, but surprisingly (to me) so is de Lutiis, for someone so young.

Thought overall discipline was terrible but would have to watch the replay to get a good sense of it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Good first hit out from what I saw. Discipline was bad but can come with fatigue in these matches.

Like you said JTA is a big human. de Lutiis is very advanced physically for his age. He’s ready to get time in Super Rugby.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
There looks to have been a lot of work done on support play and offloads. It looks like it's still a work in progress though, as players are still a bit late on running support lines, etc. That try Mac Grealy scored in the second half was the result of some amazing support play and offloading though. Loved it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There looks to have been a lot of work done on support play and offloads. It looks like it's still a work in progress though, as players are still a bit late on running support lines, etc. That try Mac Grealy scored in the second half was the result of some amazing support play and offloading though. Loved it.

it was great to see some attacking structure. That first try to Grealy was all a move from the lineout (maybe a little ad hoc at the end from the HMP break). But as soon the lineout was awarded they all ran into position and you could hear them calling a play. Pinpoint stuff.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
it was great to see some attacking structure. That first try to Grealy was all a move from the lineout (maybe a little ad hoc at the end from the HMP break). But as soon the lineout was awarded they all ran into position and you could hear them calling a play. Pinpoint stuff.

Do we know if that’s a trademark of Kiss? Well setup moves off a set piece.

Probably not something we saw much during the Thorn era. Some coaches are simply better at getting their players to understand and execute those plays, rather than playing more off the cuff.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do we know if that’s a trademark of Kiss? Well setup moves off a set piece.

Probably not something we saw much during the Thorn era. Some coaches are simply better at getting their players to understand and execute those plays, rather than playing more off the cuff.

I think it might be a bit of the Brad Davis impact? I heard Jock say some very positive things about him and his attacking strategy