• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Stormers - Super Rugby Round 9, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

I have a feeling link knows every word ever put to paper by Mr Sun Tzu based on his previous record in the art ambush. I just hope he can get the troops in place to effect the plan that he sends out. Right now it doesn't matter what his game plan is because we don't have the experience on the paddock to maintain structure for eighty minutes.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The Stormers, by the time they get to Suncorp, are going to be a very battered & tired team, after playing the Bulls, Highlanders, and Crusaders, whether they win or lose against the Crusaders, who are on the improve.
Also there will be injuries.
The Reds will be refreshed after their bye, and will have confidence from (a)winning their last game, (b)playing on home turf, (c) players returning from injury.
In regard to the backs make-up, I can see Links using Lucas at first flyhalf, & Harris at second flyhalf. The surprise will be Lane on the bench to replace Lucas in the second half, and who won't have played for five weeks. Taps will play at 13 initially & then move into 12 position to replace Harris (also 5 weeks absence); this after Lane replaces Lucas to keep a converter on the field.
Ant will come into 13. The other backs will retain their positions - Davis, Shipperley, & Morahan.
In the forwards. I would have Greg Holmes initially & a fresh Daly off the bench when the Stormers tire, with Slipper.
And isn't James Hanson improving at hooker, definitely a future wallaby in the making.
I would also be tempted to keep the same combination as last week in the loosies, i.e Higgers at No 8, with Robinson & Gill doing what they did so well with 27 turnovers.
I would be tempted to give Horwill a further break after the bye. He has a long season ahead and could do with a rest. Other teams are managing their top players & the rest will refresh him for the Blues & Crusaders. Make Sanchez the skipper, & Higgers at vice-captain.
Put on Simmons & Van Humpries, with Adam Wallace-Harris (love the surname, my mother's was Forbes-Mackay) off the bench.
As for the bench, Daly, Anae, AWH, Samo, Schatz, Lane, Ant Fainga'a.
So says my crystal ball.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have a feeling link knows every word ever put to paper by Mr Sun Tzu based on his previous record in the art ambush.

Being something of a pacifist myself, tranquility, I've never bothered to read The Art of War. Would you happen to know whether there is a chapter in it on the application of meditation to warfare? I ask this because Link traditionally has stood on the sideline looking enigmatic, contemplative and almost Buddha-like. But in recent weeks he appears to be frequently intoning or chanting a mantra which looks as if it goes, "fark (pause) fark (pause) fark ...".

T

tranquility

Being something of a pacifist myself, tranquility, I've never bothered to read The Art of War. Would you happen to know whether there is a chapter in it on the application of meditation to warfare? I ask this because Link traditionally has stood on the sideline looking enigmatic, contemplative and almost Buddha-like. But in recent weeks he appears to be frequently intoning or chanting a mantra which looks as if it goes, "fark (pause) fark (pause) fark ...".

Based on my copy their is no chapter on meditation per se, however chapter 7 is titled 'Energy.' Some points of wisdom include;

"Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and the moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away but to return once more."

"There are not more than five musical notes, yet the combinations of these five give rise to more melodies than can ever be heard."

"In battle, their are not more than two methods of attack - the direct and the indirect; yet these two in combination give rise to an endless series of maneuvers."

So on and so forth.

W

What2040

Emu
wouldn't make Genia captain under any circumstances. when on song he is fabulous but has been out of tune all year. He also gets up players when he needs to get up himself. Don't have an alternative. Maybe Daley would be an option

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
What2040..... When Genia was made captain after Horwill's injury in 2010 it bought his game to a new level that had him tagged best in the world in some quarters..... it could be just what he needs?!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I really hope Link sticks with the Beau, Gill and Higgers starting backrow again with Samo on the bench. To me this season Shatz hasn't shown enough to be put back into the side. To be honest i've never really rated him for the Reds as he doesn't seem big enough in Super rugby to be a handy ball runner or quick enough to be a decent disruptor, I just don't think he has a place in the current side and we seem to have a pretty balanced pack at the moment.

I think Lane played well enough to keep the 10 jersey. I reckon Link will start him and have Lucas/Harris slot into flyhalf around the 50min mark. Is Toua injured again? If so Harris will probably start at 12 with Taps at 13.

W

What2040

What2040..... When Genia was made captain after Horwill's injury in 2010 it bought his game to a new level that had him tagged best in the world in some quarters..... it could be just what he needs?!

Point taken and maybe !!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Based on my copy their is no chapter on meditation per se, however chapter 7 is titled 'Energy.' Some points of wisdom include;

"Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and the moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away but to return once more."

"There are not more than five musical notes, yet the combinations of these five give rise to more melodies than can ever be heard."

"In battle, their are not more than two methods of attack - the direct and the indirect; yet these two in combination give rise to an endless series of maneuvers."

So on and so forth.

Precisely the thinking needed re Reds game plan for the Stormers - when the direct attack cannot match the enemy, what can (more than) compensate in a powerfully indirect one.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think we need Harris for his goalkicking, even though he doesn't offer a huge amount in counter-attack.
I think his biggest counter attacking skill will be his kicks in general play, At the moment we have 2 kickers in the team that are passable and Tapos who can kick really well when the ball needs to go straight up.

I actually think our best option is to go with a kicking game like last week, but with better kickers it will be a dominant game. Get the ball over the line and then contest every line out and pile on the pressure.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Point taken and maybe !!
true, but I would have Higgers and hope for the same reaction from him. He might get a bit tighter to show the others how to use their body and really use all of his energy doing hard yards.

Wasn't Daley appointed captain pre season at one stage, so he is thought of well by link

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the stormers game will be a massive mental battle. Queensland absolutely has to start well, and from there the reds need to be tactically dominant all game.

The stormers have almost looked unbeatable this season - but I think they are a team that might struggle when they have to play catch up on the scoreboard. Therefore I think harris is a must to keep the points ticking over.

If Queensland are to win they will need to find parity in the set piece and the breakdown, as well as executing a few 'special one off plays' - think woodcocks try in the world cup final, or that play the rebels did last year in the force game where cipriani kicked to kingi in the corner when they had a kickable penalty.

As tranq said - link must harness the power of indirect attack.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Not the Game to rest Horwill. I am thinking Samo to 8, higgers back to six and Beau at seven. Samo to empty the tank and then unleash the two sevens on the Stormers in the second half. Holmes to start and Daley to come on later in the game. Say what you want about Daley but he is like having an extra seven he is that good around the park.

T

tranquility

Not the Game to rest Horwill. I am thinking Samo to 8, higgers back to six and Beau at seven. Samo to empty the tank and then unleash the two sevens on the Stormers in the second half. Holmes to start and Daley to come on later in the game. Say what you want about Daley but he is like having an extra seven he is that good around the park.

Bang on.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Stormers might well rest some players for the Saders game.

They would look at the two games and fancy themselves more to take the points against the Reds.

Would make sense.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Last year, the Reds forwards came out and smashed the Stormers forwards, who struggled in that game (and the Chiefs game was a carbon copy last year, too). The only way I can see the Reds happening is if they do the same. Possible, but not probable, especially as their pack is struggling for form this year.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Samo hasn't been playing well enough to warrant a starting spot. He has barley had any game time latley anyway. He's a liability starting.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
He's a liability starting.

How is he a 'liability'? Its not like he's been playing badly and making errors. If you're worried about his match fitness i'd say its probably best to start him, let him go hard and burn out and then bring on a fresh sub who can finish the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.