• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Tahs : Opening game of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

Scarfman said:
One thing - do they have lattes in Queensland, or do I have to bring my own?
Bring your own powdered milk, the rest we will have.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
As the big game is getting closer, thought it worthwhile bumping this back to the front page.

More importantly, I am trying to find somewhere to take the missus for lunch on the Sunday (Valentines Day) before flying out and hoping the resident and esteemed banjo players on the forum can assist with some advice.

On previous trips, we have generally wandered down to the Eagle Street Pier complex for a feed but have found it getting a bit tired and the food not that good. We were keen to try Ecco this time but found that it and our backup choice of Restaurant Two are not open for lunch on a Sunday. Not that Keen to try the new Aria place so am running out of ideas. Ideally would like a high-end bistro/restaurant within waking distance of the CBD. Something near the water would be nice and it goes without saying that a decent wine list is a must.

Any suggestions?

C

chief

TheRiddler said:
As the big game is getting closer, thought it worthwhile bumping this back to the front page.

More importantly, I am trying to find somewhere to take the missus for lunch on the Sunday (Valentines Day) before flying out and hoping the resident and esteemed banjo players on the forum can assist with some advice.

On previous trips, we have generally wandered down to the Eagle Street Pier complex for a feed but have found it getting a bit tired and the food not that good. We were keen to try Ecco this time but found that it and our backup choice of Restaurant Two are not open for lunch on a Sunday. Not that Keen to try the new Aria place so am running out of ideas. Ideally would like a high-end bistro/restaurant within waking distance of the CBD. Something near the water would be nice and it goes without saying that a decent wine list is a must.

Any suggestions?

In Ascot (Racecourse Rd) (can catch the city cat) there are numerous restaurants. That Thai is one of the better Thai places in Brisbane, if you like Thai. Baguette is a very high end restaurant, very pricy. Along that road there are numerous restaurants. At the top end, fancy Seafood restaurant called Bretts Wharf. Has a great wine list, but incredibly pricey. I know for sure that it is opened for lunch on the Sunday

Also near the Valley in the emporium there is Three bistro, does a good feed. They have some of the same chefs as Two Bistro. Not sure if it is opened on Sunday though.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
TheRiddler said:

Any suggestions?

Gianni's near the Port office is a fantastic restaurant, just near Restaurant 2. There is also another out at Hamilton - don't go to that one. Not sure when they are open though. For something special, try the degustation with wine matching.

http://www.giannisrestaurant.com/default1.html

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'll also back up Chiefs recommendation of catching the city cat to Bretts Wharf if you are keen on seafood. It is no more pricey than the likes of Ecco or Restaurant Two.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Sounds like New Farm Bowls would tick all the boxes. It's on the water, they've got both Riesling AND Moselle on tap, and the food choices are second to none.

Try their sausage degustation menu with onions sauteed in the beer of your choice
http://www.newfarmbowls.com.au/food.html

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And for fortitude valley, if you want to venture out of the city, you can try the romantic Belle Epoque.

Better still, stay at the Emporium Hotel if you have the cash to splash, and the restaurant, along with the more relaxed but equally good Mecca Bar and Three Bistro is right below you.

C

chief

Moses said:
Sounds like New Farm Bowls would tick all the boxes. It's on the water, they've got both Riesling AND Moselle on tap, and the food choices are second to none.

Try their sausage degustation menu with onions sauteed in the beer of your choice

They do a mean feed.

Yeah the Emporium is a great place to stay 10 minute drive from Suncorp, right near the city. Also it is very close to the New Farm bowls club.

Thats a good point about the prices pretty much the same as Restaurant Two. They do a decent Seafood platter, which I thorughly enjoyed. And they have a lot of wine selections. Near the airport as well.

http://www.brettswharf.com.au - Should be a menu there.

R

Redsfan

I'd take her to the Pineapple hotel, then you can have a competition to see who can eat the 700g t-bone the quickest.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Moses said:

Whilst I like your thinking Moses, I would like to remain Testiculus Intactus by the end of the weekend and I'm not sure that this would help achieve that objective!

Scotty said:
I'll also back up Chiefs recommendation of catching the city cat to Bretts Wharf if you are keen on seafood. It is no more pricey than the likes of Ecco or Restaurant Two.

Mrs Riddler has heard that this place is quite touristy, full of conference groups, weddings etc. Is her info out of date? She's very hard to please - not sure how she ended up with me!

She's heard that the Buffalo Club is another spot to aim for - any good?

C

chief

TheRiddler said:
Moses said:

Whilst I like your thinking Moses, I would like to remain Testiculus Intactus by the end of the weekend and I'm not sure that this would help achieve that objective!

Scotty said:

Mrs Riddler has heard that this place is quite touristy, full of conference groups, weddings etc. Is her info out of date? She's very hard to please - not sure how she ended up with me!

She's heard that the Buffalo Club is another spot to aim for - any good?

You can get some ridiculous 17 course meal from the Buffalo Club. It is an interesting place, has some unique food that I wouldn't have tried in my lifetime, plus it is in the Valley.

You are right, Bretts Wharf is more function like, stages a lot of weddings and wedding recitals etc; But it is still a great place to eat, and has a great view of the river. It isn't so 'touristy' but a lot of couples will certainly be dining there especially on Valentine's day. I'm not sure how you will have a take on 'touristy' because it is probably just like another upper class Seafood Restaurant in NSW, specially that QLD is pretty much trying to be a copy of NSW.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Bretts Wharf is certainly quite big and open and it will be busy that day. Gianni's has a fantastic wine list and is much more intimate and 'local' if that is what you are looking for. Just make sure you go to the one in the city, as the Portside one is more of a function venue and isn't anywhere near as good.

Not sure if Buffalo Club is open for lunch.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Riddler,

I recommend Barolo's on the corner of Felix and Mary Streets. Great menu and a wine list that complements the food nicely.

You won't be disappointed, or at least I never have been.

Oh, and for those making the trek north, there is a Vintage Reds lunch on Friday 12th, $140 a head.

C

chief

Craig Joubert will be refereeing this match. Just to let you gents know. Should be a cracker of the match. And hopefully a free flowing affair.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
spectator said:
Oh, and for those making the trek north, there is a Vintage Reds lunch on Friday 12th, $140 a head.

I'd much prefer to attend a meeting of The Yellow Scarf Alcoholics Club at the Brekky Creek on Friday afternoon, followed by a recovery session at the Caxton on Saturday before the game. Any takers?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
spectator said:

I'd much prefer to attend a meeting of The Yellow Scarf Alcoholics Club at the Brekky Creek on Friday afternoon, followed by a recovery session at the Caxton on Saturday before the game. Any takers?

I would be up for that, meet a few of the guys.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'm in SE Qld at the moment. If I'm still round on the 13th then I'm definitely up for Saturday's festivities and the game.

T

TOCC

so, assuming all the wallabies are fit for this trial match, we could see a backline of

15. Hynes
14. Chambers
13. Ioane
12. Turinui
11. Morahan
10. Cooper
9. Genia

Link wants to give Lucas a go at 10, so you could probably bring him on later in the game, move Cooper to 12 and pull Turinui off, or alternatively start with that combination.

Also expect to see these players get a run in various positions, not all at the same time however.

15. Davies
14. Connor
13. Chambers
12. Toua/Fainga'a
11. Davies
10. Lucas
9. Kingi

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I expect it will be a typical trial game - playing in quarters and confusing as hell as players go on and off the field.

Unfortunately the only two trials in NSW are in Wop-Wop and I won't be seeing either.

After watching a heap of Super trials over the years the main message I get is that who wins and who plays well or badly doesn't matter.

The only critical thing from trials is the number and severity of injuries and the names of the injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom