• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Tahs : Opening game of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So it's OUR fault the Reds lost. The brave Queensland boys beat those evil Waratahs in years gone past, against all the odds, and they're some sort of saviours against the evil marauders from the south. The Tahs do the same thing in Brisbane last Saturday and every Queenslander here thinks we've raped their granny.

If you can't take a loss, don't play the game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The loss was down to the Reds not doing anything in the last 6-7 minutes. They had a few opportunities to secure the ball and get it down field. Each time they made a mistake.

The reality they need to face is that one less mistake and they would have won. Horwill is particularly dissapointed because he coughed up the pill in that time, when the Reds should have secured possession and field position.

G

Geronimo

Moses said:
I was considering making a first page post, but thought I'd save this just for the forums.

Mental Disintegration. The term coined by NSW great Steve Waugh goes a long way to describing what the Waratahs achieved in Brisbane last night. For NSW great Phil Waugh (no relation) it was not enough to merely defeat the Reds, Phil desired a crushing and demoralising victory over his sworn enemies in red, and can now use this famous victory to galvanize his troops for the rest of the season.

This Waratahs performance could well have been inspired by the 2006 Ashes test in Adelaide. Merely defeating England would not have come close to inflicting the pain and revenge which was warranted by some tomfoolery in an open topped bus circa September '05.

To merely beat ones opposition is nice, but to make them truly believe victory is theirs, for them to start celebrating their ascendancy, and to then take that all away and shove it in their faces, that is soul destroying. Check out how broken big Kev is in the post match interview and you'll start to appreciate the brilliance of this strategy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThuxYbSCjjA

Moses, although you normally are rational, you have lost the plot with this little gem. Absolute crap!!!

G

Geronimo

Well there you go, my super protective Red armour has been pierced and I'm vulnerable until next week when we dish the Saders

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Scotty said:
The loss was down to the Reds not doing anything in the last 6-7 minutes. They had a few opportunities to secure the ball and get it down field. Each time they made a mistake.

The reality they need to face is that one less mistake and they would have won. Horwill is particularly dissapointed because he coughed up the pill in that time, when the Reds should have secured possession and field position.

could easily be said that the win was due to the waratahs doing enough during the last 6-7 minutes though.

its been a few days now, i know it hurt to lose it on the buzzer and such, but honestly, its time that a few queenslanders around here stood up and be counted, saying NSW deserved the win due to there composure and professionalism isnt going to make you any less of a human, after all, your already from Queensland, the only way is up!

good work Moses, keep it up.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
fatprop said:
The Reds simply weren't good enough, they thought they had the game won at 70 minutes against 14 men.

Sub-consciously maybe so. That kind of thing happens a lot with them. I'll back Link to turn them around though.

waratahjesus said:
could easily be said that the win was due to the waratahs doing enough during the last 6-7 minutes though.

Correct - when a team in any sport thinks they are unlucky there is usually another side to the story. The main thing the Tahs can take out of the game apart from the dominant scrum is that 10 minutes of excellence overcame 70 minutes of playing by numbers lethargy. But if they think that kind of thing will work against a mentally tough team with a good bench, they have another thing coming.

On the other hand the Reds will be appalled that 70 minutes of dash and excellence was ruined by 10 minutes when they lost their nerve.

They needed more leadership in that time, especially in the forwards. I expect that Reds folks may roll in laughter when they read this but: if they had Waugh for the last 10 minutes of the game and the Tahs had Horwill, they would have won.

Suggested responses should include the usual type of thing such as:

- yes I did laugh
- so long as we don't have to use him in other games
- don't be condescending

Scotty

David Codey (61)
They needed more leadership in that time, especially in the forwards. I expect that Reds folks may roll in laughter when they read this but: if they had Waugh for the last 10 minutes of the game and the Tahs had Horwill, they would have won.

- yes I did laugh
- don't be condescending

You are very funny Lee. I'm still laughing, particularly at the last comment.

You are probably right - if we had Waugh in the last 10 we probably would have won. However if we didn't have Horwill in the first 70, we may not have been in a position to win.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Lee Grant said:
fatprop said:
The Reds simply weren't good enough, they thought they had the game won at 70 minutes against 14 men.

Sub-consciously maybe so. That kind of thing happens a lot with them. I'll back Link to turn them around though.

waratahjesus said:

Correct - when a team in any sport thinks they are unlucky there is usually another side to the story. The main thing the Tahs can take out of the game apart from the dominant scrum is that 10 minutes of excellence overcame 70 minutes of playing by numbers lethargy. But if they think that kind of thing will work against a mentally tough team with a good bench, they have another thing coming.

On the other hand the Reds will be appalled that 70 minutes of dash and excellence was ruined by 10 minutes when they lost their nerve.

- yes I did laugh
- don't be condescending

i agree totally, if waugh gets injured the tahs will be lucky to finish anywhere near the finals. it wasnt that many years ago that an injury to him caused us to have our worst season in living memory, we would have got the spoon had it not been for qld being in the same comp.

that being said i think option (c) is reverse condescending, if we cant take constructive criticism of ourselves then we may as well wrap this website up and make gagger talk to his kids!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Don't mind Scotty; he is having fun and it gives him something to do and you can't knock that.

Besides I have never denied being condescending, nor annoyed that people say so, as Scotty may suppose.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
tranquility said:
it must have taken incredible will power not to punch holes in every waratah players heads when both team came together at the end

That would have been 80 minutes too late ;)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Don't mind Scotty; he is having fun and it gives him something to do and you can't knock that.

Besides I have never denied being condescending, nor annoyed that people say so, as Scotty may suppose.

That comes across as a bit arrogant. I'm sure you don't want to be portrayed that way though.

I see you have found the maturity not to engage me directly anymore. Pity you backed that up with even more immaturity in having a dig about me while talking to others.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i just want to thank the admin team and everyone involved in bringing this website to life, it continues to be a shining light in all that is!

can we have a thread for just scotty and lee to sort out the character traits of one another or do we not possess the band width for that?

and finally, is band width the right word for it?, moses can you answer that

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Check out the kid in Moses' clip at 00:40 - he's just got that look of having put up with nearly two hours of the Reds' crowd and he's getting PAYBACK!

Have to say though at least Quade is holding his head up and giving everyone an honest handshake. So he's not a complete twat.

And as a last point - the final penalty before Phil takes the tap QLD still aren't back behind the goal line and it would have been a penalty try anyway... if Joubert had any balls.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
NTA said:
Have to say though at least Quade is holding his head up and giving everyone an honest handshake.

Just a shame he couldn't make an honest tackle.

Seriously, there's 10 times more spite post-match than there was in the lead up. I love it but what's doing ? Footy in February just fucks up everyone's timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.