• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Tahs : Opening game of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
louie said:
Scotty said:
louie said:
god this forum is awesome. i feel no need to say anything. just reading is enough. you boys rule

Yes, the next dicussion will center around the solution for global warming, followed shortly after by world peace.

Scotty it's good to know we're getting the most importent subjects done first...

Nah, those two subjects are far too easy.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Global warming will happen if that Turner incident had been adjudged a penalty try, I tells ya.

You heard it here first.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lee Grant said:
Global warming will happen if that Turner incident had been adjudged a penalty try, I tells ya.

You heard it here first.

:) Gotta stop global cooling - now

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Ash said:
Mumm's cleanout was a shoulder charge, cheap, and he deserves a suspension.

Yes, it was a shoulder charge and Tip Top was quite rightly carded. No, it isn't worth a suspension and I suspect those reviewing the match will consider the card appropriate punishment.

Cheap? Mmmm? Was this the second or third time Mumm bashed Fainga'a out of the road as he loitered at the side of a ruck or maul. The fourth you say? I'll have to have another look at my replay.

And now I read he's got two weeks. Pathetic.

C

chief

Well you know what, let's agree on something. It was a bloody good game, and a bloody good round of Super rugby. Thirty tries in total being scored, this really is looking the goods.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lindommer said:
Yes, it was a shoulder charge and Tip Top was quite rightly carded. No, it isn't worth a suspension and I suspect those reviewing the match will consider the card appropriate punishment.

Looks like they agreed with me that it was worthy, and the card not...

Cheap? Mmmm? Was this the second or third time Mumm bashed Fainga'a out of the road as he loitered at the side of a ruck or maul. The fourth you say? I'll have to have another look at my replay.

Don't worry Lindommer! I'll save you the effort of that replay. Give you more time to groom that fine 'stache!

...shoulder to the lower back? That's cheap. Next time he should clean out properly.

I fail to see how perennial loitering on the wrong side deserves a cheap shot or illegality in turn. Clean them out hard and fair - which doesn't inovle a few metres run up and a shoulder, by the way. Penalty will always be reversed for foul or illegal play - you're a ref and you know that.

Good thing Mumm does this stuff in provincial games BTW, because McCaw and Thomson must sure be invisible in tests the way the Wllabies ignore them...

And yes, it was the best Tahs v Reds derby in a long time.

T

TOCC

Biffo said:
Scotty said:
This is a good point by TOCC. What is the definition of 'held'. The law does not appear to say 'held by', but rather held, and TOCC is correct in saying that an interpretation of 'held' could be that the player would have be stopped.

And before Biffo decides there is no such thing as interpretation of law, I'll say this - of course there is. Just as there is in the interpretation of criminal law, and on a more basic level, just as there is with the interpretation of individual words. The world isn't black and white. There is plenty of grey.

Read the quote from the definitions for Law 15 I put up a few posts back:

"HELD BY ONE OR MORE OPPONENTS"

You can find the definition of "held" in any reasonable dictionary.

Please, stop throwing irrelevancies into the discussion. The discussion here is about a simple law, with its included definitions, for the game of rugby. It has nothing to do with the wide field of criminal law.

If you care to read the Laws of rugby, you will find that they are "black and white" in almost every instance.

mate ive read the laws, and it comes back to the term 'held', this is where the room for interpretation is, its not nearly black and white as you would suggest.

Do you really think you are the first person to look into the laws and ponder this very topic?

T

tranquility

having had a little time to relax after that unbeleivable set of events on saturday evening. minor tweakings for next week.

we put in for 65 minutes and played good footy - however the bench couldn't step up and we payed the price.

from all accounts houston looked good in the 2s and will probably get a bench gig or even go to 8, with Higgin on the side (who played bloody good might I add).

What is the go with Tomiki? surely we could have used him on saturday night. Andrew Shaw is not a 7 for my liking and is not ready for this level just at the moment.

I would like James Slipper to get another go - he has the potential to step up in the same manner that Ben Daley has, who is shaping as the next Benny Robinson.

I thought Fainga'a looked good at 12. Likewise Davies on the wing.

Morgan didn't do much (anything?) and it Chambers will be an option in the coming weeks.

Laurie Weeks was immense.

T

TOCC

Morgan didnt do a whole lot, but then again the defence was rock solid in the midfield, how much of that that can be contributed to his talk and organisation is debtateable.

The only changes i really want to see for next week is to have Houston on the bench with Tomiki, whilst i think Shaw is a great prospect i think at the moment that the Reds would be better served with experience on the bench. Also not sure really what to do with Fainga'a, didnt exactly standout when he came on and im not sure i want to see him starting.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
TOCC said:
Biffo said:
Scotty said:
This is a good point by TOCC. What is the definition of 'held'. The law does not appear to say 'held by', but rather held, and TOCC is correct in saying that an interpretation of 'held' could be that the player would have be stopped.

And before Biffo decides there is no such thing as interpretation of law, I'll say this - of course there is. Just as there is in the interpretation of criminal law, and on a more basic level, just as there is with the interpretation of individual words. The world isn't black and white. There is plenty of grey.

Read the quote from the definitions for Law 15 I put up a few posts back:

"HELD BY ONE OR MORE OPPONENTS"

You can find the definition of "held" in any reasonable dictionary.

Please, stop throwing irrelevancies into the discussion. The discussion here is about a simple law, with its included definitions, for the game of rugby. It has nothing to do with the wide field of criminal law.

If you care to read the Laws of rugby, you will find that they are "black and white" in almost every instance.

mate ive read the laws, and it comes back to the term 'held', this is where the room for interpretation is, its not nearly black and white as you would suggest.

Do you really think you are the first person to look into the laws and ponder this very topic?

In black and white, no ... and a very long way from being the first.

Need me to define "long", "way", "black" or "white"?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wonder how serious Hardy's injury is? We may have to consider Fainga'a starting with Hanson on the bench?

I was watching Morgs and the Tahs, through Anesi in particular, seemed to focus on him a bit. Morgs had him bottled up well, even when he got on the outside. I am pretty sure he also dished up a nice pass to put Davies away in that first half.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
In black and white, no ... and a very long way from being the first.

Need me to define "long", "way", "black" or "white"?

Is this your round about way of conceding a point?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My only problems with Mumm's hit was the lack of arms in the hit, two weeks is harsh but it is what Bakkies got, so it appears to be the go.

So you can now loiter offside in rucks without any punishment it seems.

G

Geronimo

Finally the alcohol (great remedy for heartbreak) induced mist has lifted and I can put something down here:

1. The Tahs finished strongly and their bench was better than ours

2. Qld were hard done by and probably deserved the win

3. Good match appraisal LG, although I do disagree with you on the Turner incident. Common sense tells me that he can be tackled into touch but the rest of your stuff is spot on

4. NTA is extremely biased and should give himself an uppercut and then take three deep breathes

5. Joubert.... ditto

6. Halangahu is the unsung hero for the Tahs. He come on and played some great footy in testing times (outplayed Berrick)

Well done Tahs for finding some Reds like heart and playing through to the end.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
You may recall way back when at the towards the beginning of this thread that I was seeking advice on where to take Mrs Riddler for Valentines Day whilst up in Brisvegas. After lots of advice, as tempting as the bowlo was, we ended up going to Giannis. Nice place with an eclectic and intriguing wine list. Good food but the overall experience wasnt quite what we had hoped for. I would describe the place as a very good bistro perhaps but not the fine dining restaurant it is lauded to be. Perhaps there is a variation in definitions between the Brisbane and Sydney scenes? Overall I would score it 13/20.

The Exchange Hotel on Friday night was a shocker. They only had the rugby on one small TV with the others showing the cricket and music videos. They then turned the music up really loud even though the place was empty and were playing some pretty crappy tunes to boot. At half time, we walked back up the road to the backpackers pup that had the game on the big screen and a great atmosphere.

Overall a fun and enjoyable weekend up north. AS WJ posted earlier, some great hospitality shown and the win topped it all off .

Thank you Queensland.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
fatprop said:
My only problems with Mumm's hit was the lack of arms in the hit, two weeks is harsh but it is what Bakkies got, so it appears to be the go. So you can now loiter offside in rucks without any punishment it seems.

Not at all, players just have to use their arms when making tackles. If TT had've used his nothing more would've happened.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
tranquility said:
we put in for 65 minutes and played good footy - however the bench couldn't step up and we payed the price.
Blowing a 5 point lead against 14 men, they'll need to take a few steps up I reckon

fatprop said:
My only problems with Mumm's hit was the lack of arms in the hit, two weeks is harsh but it is what Bakkies got, so it appears to be the go. So you can now loiter offside in rucks without any punishment it seems.
Joubert did speak directly to Fainga about coming in the side, so he disengaged and just stood there.

Lindommer said:
Not at all, players just have to use their arms when making tackles. If TT had've used his nothing more would've happened.
Who's TT? Palu used his arms in Ireland and still got the yellow..

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Moses said:
Lindommer said:
If TT had've used his nothing more would've happened.
Who's TT? Palu used his arms in Ireland and still got the yellow...

Tip Top. I think we all agree the ref fucked that one up in Dublin due to his incompetence.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You may recall way back when at the towards the beginning of this thread that I was seeking advice on where to take Mrs Riddler for Valentines Day whilst up in Brisvegas. After lots of advice, as tempting as the bowlo was, we ended up going to Giannis. Nice place with an eclectic and intriguing wine list. Good food but the overall experience wasnt quite what we had hoped for. I would describe the place as a very good bistro perhaps but not the fine dining restaurant it is lauded to be. Perhaps there is a variation in definitions between the Brisbane and Sydney scenes? Overall I would score it 13/20.

Sorry Riddler, that was probably my suggestion, and it has been a few years since I was there. There probably is a difference between definitions of fine dining from Brisbane to Sydney, but I also expect that there is a big difference in cost as well!

Neither cities can compete with Melbourne as to choice, variety and value for money dining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom