• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Blues Rd 4 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
NZ Herald on the Reds:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11602343
The Reds, a basket case for longer than the Blues, have this giant gap between potential and reality. If they were climbing Everest, they have somehow managed to slip below Base Camp.

While Aucklanders feel their side is hands-down the tournament's great underachiever, they don't get close to the Reds. Queensland have largely been awful for the better part of the last 15 years with one giant aberration in 2011 when they won the title. [clearly bullshit they were there or thereabouts for years around that period]

That championship win five years ago was the more accurate reflection of their true standing. Queensland is Super Rugby's sleeping giant. It has more than 15,000 junior players alone - more than most New Zealand regions have in total.

G

galumay

Hells bells, if the Reds are Super Rugby's sleeping giants they must have taken a massive overdose of mogadon!!

Despite the similarities in the perception of under achievement, I suspect the Blues will bring far too much firepower for the Reds to handle.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The Tahs are a huge disappointment so far this season but did pretty well last week.

Highlanders to flog 'em. Gibson certainly doesn't have the mojo of Chek.

MAAAATE, we are building (do you like that phrase). Not only do we have 1 coach we have 2, so there !!!!!!:)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I just hope there's more interest in this match then there has been in this thread! ;)

I'd say the Blues will be too strong for us. We look better but we really don't look like we have a lot of points in us.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm not sure that there is. Been pretty quiet in the papers this week on the Reds front.

And the only story in the Courier Mail today seems to focus on there being more current Reds players born in Auckland than Brisbane. Not so much any talk about what we need to do to win.

Blues are TAB favourites at $1.50. Line was set at 5 points and punters have been backing the Blues to win by more than that.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ofa Tu’ungafasi, James Parsons, Charlie Faumuina, Patrick Tuipulotu, Josh Bekhuis, Jerome Kaino (c), Blake Gibson, Steven Luatua; Bryn Hall, Ihaia West, Tevita Li, George Moala, Male Sa’u, Rieko Ioane, Lolagi Visinia.
Reserves: Quentin MacDonald, Nic Mayhew, Sione Mafileo, Hoani Matenga, Kara Pryor, Akira Ioane, Billy Guyton, Matt McGahan.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure that there is. Been pretty quiet in the papers this week on the Reds front.

And the only story in the Courier Mail today seems to focus on there being more current Reds players born in Auckland than Brisbane. Not so much any talk about what we need to do to win.

Blues are TAB favourites at $1.50. Line was set at 5 points and punters have been backing the Blues to win by more than that.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thought the Blues would be better priced than that.

Expect an upset

Reds by 7

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
unchanged starting lineup for the Reds.

Pettowa Paraka comes onto the bench for Benny Daley

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
unchanged starting lineup for the Reds.

Pettowa Paraka comes onto the bench for Benny Daley

Paraka is a huge, stocky young fellow who, I think, will hold his own at scrum time (initially at least). My only concern is his mobility and fitness.

Sef will be better this week and will continue to improve.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Ofa Tu’ungafasi, James Parsons, Charlie Faumuina, Patrick Tuipulotu, Josh Bekhuis, Jerome Kaino (c), Blake Gibson, Steven Luatua; Bryn Hall, Ihaia West, Tevita Li, George Moala, Male Sa’u, Rieko Ioane, Lolagi Visinia.
Reserves: Quentin MacDonald, Nic Mayhew, Sione Mafileo, Hoani Matenga, Kara Pryor, Akira Ioane, Billy Guyton, Matt McGahan.

Rene Ranger has been dropped completely for Rieko Ioane. Akira Ioane has been sent back to the bench. The Reds would kill to get starting players of the quality of Ranger and Akira.

It starts up front and I don't think the Reds scrum will dominate as they have done in previous weeks - Faumuina has brought stability to the front row and I think Tu'ungafasi is a real find. At the breakdown Blake Gibson will have a field day with no Liam Gill and the Blues lineout will be no pushover.

I expect the Blues backs to go beserk. The Reds outside back defence does not inspire confidence. The more West plays at this level the more confident he is starting to look and I think the whole backline will be drooling in anticipation. Only over-confidence is a risk.

I expect the score to blow out badly in the second half.

T

TOCC

Paraka is a huge, stocky young fellow who, I think, will hold his own at scrum time (initially at least). My only concern is his mobility and fitness.

Sef will be better this week and will continue to improve.

He is a big unit, but his technical understanding and ability in scrummaging isn't as good as others In the squad. It shouldn't be an issue given how the rest of the tight 5 have been scrummaging though.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
He is a big unit, but his technical understanding and ability in scrummaging isn't as good as others In the squad. It shouldn't be an issue given how the rest of the tight 5 have been scrummaging though.

And he'll have Sam Talakai on the other side, who's the best of the new generation of props when it comes to scrummaging, IMO. He really impressed in the NRC at the same time as Fa'agase was struggling a bit.

Thought the Blues would be better priced than that.

Expect an upset

Reds by 7

Probably a hangover from last season. Plus the fact the Blues got fairly soundly beaten away by the Crusaders, so there may be some questions on their performance away from Eden Park.

Some good odds in the "Pick your own line" betting though I reckon, particularly in the "Blues by 15+" range. Either the Reds will turn up and it will be tight, and could go either way, or their fragile confidence will shatter and the Blues will put 30+ on them. I don't see a 10 or 15 point differential as likely.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
guys, you seem to be forgetting that the Blues DO NOT travel well.​
I can count the number of Blues overseas wins in the last 3 years on the hand of one Queenslander.​
Whatever that means.​
Just throwing it out there. For banter etc.​
Anyway, sensor indicates I'm starting to get excited about this one now.​
DRIsleeper-Wireless-Alarm.gif

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Rene Ranger has been dropped completely for Rieko Ioane. Akira Ioane has been sent back to the bench. The Reds would kill to get starting players of the quality of Ranger and Akira.

It starts up front and I don't think the Reds scrum will dominate as they have done in previous weeks - Faumuina has brought stability to the front row and I think Tu'ungafasi is a real find. At the breakdown Blake Gibson will have a field day with no Liam Gill and the Blues lineout will be no pushover.

I expect the Blues backs to go beserk. The Reds outside back defence does not inspire confidence. The more West plays at this level the more confident he is starting to look and I think the whole backline will be drooling in anticipation. Only over-confidence is a risk.

I expect the score to blow out badly in the second half.

Well that's a depressing read. Here i was happy Ranger wasn't playing, thinking West is just about the worst NZ 10 to hold a contract for so long and wondering who all those other names were.

Status
Not open for further replies.