• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Brumbies - Rd 5, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Nah,I think it's about right.
It was found to be a 4 week offence,with a 50% reduction due to his attitude and record.
Good call IMO.
I agree that a couple of weeks + the implied red card would be about right.

Which is why I have a problem with 1 week + yellow.

Good news for my reds though...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah,I think it's about right.
It was found to be a 4 week offence,with a 50% reduction due to his attitude and record.
Good call IMO.

Even with his clean record, and White fortunately not being seriously hurt, it probably still warranted an extra week or two on the sideline..............

He's pretty lucky.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There was a moment in this game where Magnay was camped under a box kick and caught it and was then smashed and I think it resulted in a turnover or a penalty for holding on.

With a bit more experience he'll learn that he needs to jump for the ball there and would then be likely to earn a penalty for being taken out in the air.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He still would have been smashed if he had jumped,not many jump when there is no one competing for the ball.

The tackle on him was timed to arrive right after he caught it. If he'd got himself in the air he would have at least won a penalty for his team as a result of being smashed instead of losing it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
how does jumping for the ball affect gravity?
The ball descends at the same rate regardless whether you catch it 3 foot above the ground or 5 feet.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
how does jumping for the ball affect gravity?
The ball descends at the same rate regardless whether you catch it 3 foot above the ground or 5 feet.

??

If the defender coming through is timing their run to tackle you the moment you catch the ball and instead of standing on the ground you make sure you're in the air when you catch it, the player takes you out in the air where you're protected (at least by the laws) and you get a penalty.

Look at any of the best players under a high ball. They'll stay on the ground where they have time to try and evade the defender coming through but otherwise they'll make sure they're in the air either to beat the other player competing for it or just protect themselves against getting tackled the moment they catch it.

If Magnay had jumped at the last second to catch that ball I guarantee he would have still been tackled and would have won a penalty.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's not that big a deal that we take over thread.
But my point was the defender times his run so that get hits at the same time as the ball would be caught without jumping.say 3 feet above the ground.
If the player elects to jump,he is catching the ball earlier than he otherwise would.
So unless you are suggesting a players falls to the ground at a rate slower than a Rugby ball,then the timing is the same,whether the catcher jumps or not.
Usually, the penalties arise because the chaser is too late to compete and too early to tackle.
With the same timing instead of tackling someone in the air,they would be taking the catcher out,without the ball.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah I had no impression of him being a dirty player or anything. I think he'll be given 4 weeks with a couple taken off for the clean record. Just really, really, dumb. Lucky it didn't end badly for White.

tumblr_nki7votYgs1ty8mi0o2_250.gif

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's not that big a deal that we take over thread.
But my point was the defender times his run so that get hits at the same time as the ball would be caught without jumping.say 3 feet above the ground.
If the player elects to jump,he is catching the ball earlier than he otherwise would.
So unless you are suggesting a players falls to the ground at a rate slower than a Rugby ball,then the timing is the same,whether the catcher jumps or not.
Usually, the penalties arise because the chaser is too late to compete and too early to tackle.
With the same timing instead of tackling someone in the air,they would be taking the catcher out,without the ball.

Umm, what the person catching the ball is doing doesn't change the time the defender arrives to make the tackle (if they're running at full pace and committed). If the person making the catch jumps just as the ball is arriving they will be in the air when the tackler arrives, rather than standing with both feet on the ground.

Either way, if Magnay had got himself off the ground he would have had protection under the laws.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
After the Gill brain snap. The try by Ben A, Was that a double movement? His momentum didn't seem to propel him over the line. The ball had hit the ground and then he lifted his arm to get the ball over the line. Not that it made any difference.

Pretty sure there's no double movement, you can jump land on the ground and have a few seconds to place the ball he placed it over the try line.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)

The player has the same gravitational force applied to them as a rugby ball which means they fall at the same rate. But what you are failing to take into account is that the player may add vertical displacement of the ball by jumping up to catch the ball as it descends, that is rather than catch it at the apex of their jump, catch the ball on the way up, thereby increasing the balls flight time. This increased time in the air (possibly as much as half a second) alters the timing the defender needs to make a legal tackle.

B

Bobby Sands

Pretty sure there's no double movement, you can jump land on the ground and have a few seconds to place the ball he placed it over the try line.

There is no such thing as a double-movement in rugby..

T

Tip

There is no such thing as a double-movement in rugby..

Damn right, it's either playing the ball on the ground or not releasing.

Alexander try is a lil' perplexing. The referee had his hand up and the whistle in his mouth, the Reds were getting ready for some jersey punches and Alexander falls over the line.

I'm glad our troupe stayed on Caxton st and enjoyed the 8 dollar craft pints instead of $8 watered down XXXX Mould and a shellacking.

T

TOCC

Its definitely not a few seconds, that would be playing the ball on the ground.. its a much shorter time frame

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm to lazy to look it up but I think the laws use the word 'immediately' when discussing the tackled player placing the ball.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Turns out, I'm not too lazy.

15.5 The tackled player..... <snip>

(c) A tackled player may release the ball by putting it on the ground in any direction, provided this is done immediately.

Reactions: gel

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The start of Immediately seems to commence after the tackler has released the tackled player, and then rolled away. The referees tend to look for the tackled player to immediately release the ball by putting it on the ground in any direction, once they have been satisfied that the tackler has completed their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.