• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Brumbies - Rd9 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
I have to say I don't understand the flak that our front and second row have been subjected too. Our scrum has only been pushed over the mark a few times this year. Yes , we have been savagely penalized for technicalities which reflects more on the ridiculous nature of the current scrum laws and officiating, but other than that they look solid most of the time. Simmons and Horwill have been good at line out time and they all have a high work rate when it comes to winning the hard yards up the middle to provide a platform for the backs. Defence needs to step up a notch but even more so in the backline.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I have to say I don't understand the flak that our front and second row have been subjected too. Our scrum has only been pushed over the mark a few times this year. Yes , we have been savagely penalized for technicalities which reflects more on the ridiculous nature of the current scrum laws and officiating, but other than that they look solid most of the time. Simmons and Horwill have been good at line out time and they all have a high work rate when it comes to winning the hard yards up the middle to provide a platform for the backs. Defence needs to step up a notch but even more so in the backline.

If everything is so tickety-boo how come you are 3 and 4 so far?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Losing Carter is a huge blow, but Staniforth is a bit of a psycho and should rip in.

That Red's back three couldn't kick their way out of a wet paper bag. Mogg and White will be practising their kicks, i'm sure, and will pin the Reds on their tryline at any opportunity. Reds aint going to have much glory running the ball out either.

Walsh will undoubtably call no try on something though and give the banjo pluckers a leg up ;)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lucas can kick, the other two can't though.

Cooper and Taps will be looking to do most of the kicking for the Reds. If it gets into a kicking battle, the Brumbies will flatten the Reds in that department.

T

tranquility

Lucas can kick, the other two can't though.

Cooper and Taps will be looking to do most of the kicking for the Reds. If it gets into a kicking battle, the Brumbies will flatten the Reds in that department.

If we just played Taps at goddamn 12, we would have a left foot, right foot kicking nexus in midfield. Richard, you better understand something that we all don't.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Rubbish defense against the Force
Rubbish refereeing vs the Lions
A schedule that include 4 away games in the first 5 include the SA trip

Oh and a very average breakdown performance in most matches.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wow - Tom Staniforth to start.

Not many would have seen this lad play in Australia except Canberra locals but he is a marvelous young player.

Don't expect a lot of Tom, who will turn 20 the day after the match, but soak up this debut match when you watch him because I think that he is a future Wallaby lock, and, more importantly, a future Wallaby tight-head lock.

Armchair critics will turn up their noses at him because they will google him and find out that he is "only" 196 cms tall and give you their expert opinions of why that is not good enough. They always do.

These will be the same blokes in a couple of year's time who will say they always knew he was going to be a good 'un.

Well, he's going to be a good 'un.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Wow - Tom Staniforth to start.

Not many would have seen this lad play in Australia except Canberra locals but he is a marvelous young player.

Don't expect a lot of Tom, who will turn 20 the day after the match, but soak up this debut match when you watch him because I think that he is a future Wallaby lock, and, more importantly, a future Wallaby tight-head lock.

Armchair critics will turn up their noses at him because they will google him and find out that he is "only" 196 cms tall and give you their expert opinions of why that is not good enough. They always do.

These will be the same blokes in a couple of year's time who will say they always knew he was going to be a good 'un.

Well, he's going to be a good 'un.

I hope Tom just rips in to be honest, I've heard a few good things, even the praise that he could be a future Wallaby Captain. So I hope his a good'um too and he must be alright if he came from outside the Squad to maker his first start.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He is an abrasive player like a young Brad Thorn, yet he is more skilful that old Stoneface on his best day.

Am I talking him up too much? Probably, but it does me no harm; nor any to others.

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
1.Poor defence, mainly in the back line and also during kick chase play by the whole team.
2. Poor options in attack. If the halves are to create line breaks they need more options. More motion off the ball is needed. Opposing teams are reading the reds attack far to easily most of the time. Although I thought this improved against the Force.
3. Breakdown, no need to say any more.

0642528a-cd78-4936-b9f5-a03bcbcf0f5d_zpsfcf85bbe.jpg

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I hope Tom just rips in to be honest, I've heard a few good things, even the praise that he could be a future Wallaby Captain. So I hope his a good'um too and he must be alright if he came from outside the Squad to maker his first start.

Well said I've read about this lad locally... Lookimg forward to seeing hí take the field as a home grown unit... Go get them Tom and enjoy!!!

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
If we just played Taps at goddamn 12, we would have a left foot, right foot kicking nexus in midfield. Richard, you better understand something that we all don't.

The only reason I can think of that RG has put Ant in at 12 is for his higher level of defence, against McCabe who has been running good channels lately. The backs defence against the Force was a problem last week.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the brumbies bench centres are better than the Red's starters. If the ponies get consistent quick ball the reds will struggle in the midfield.

The brumbies set piece has been the most consistent feature of their dominance. Even when they lost to the rebs they had some big scrums. I would expect this to continue especially with sio and moore back, the reserves have been good though too.

Reds will put up a good fight but will need a bit of luck and possibly a fit harris to kick everything at the death to win.

In reality brums by 10.

Toby Spencer

Stan Wickham (3)
McCabe has been playing VERY Very Well - Ant needs to bring A game to stop the bloke.

I'm a little worried there will be too much of a focus on McCabe and Tamoua will tear apart the midfield. He has been breaking the line every game so far. Reds should have never let him go down south...:(

Brumbies by 8

Status
Not open for further replies.