• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls - Rd6

Status
Not open for further replies.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Dom Shipperely needs to be picked ahead of Sautia when he is fit. Chris has looked a bit lost the last few weeks. Way too many mistakes.

I was at the game and he didn't seem too bad to me. Granted, Ships would be better. The fella still needs to find his feet.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I was at the game and he didn't seem too bad to me. Granted, Ships would be better. The fella still needs to find his feet.
I think CFS just needs practice at handling big pressure situations, he has the skills but seems to lack the fast decision making required at S15 level on occasions. It will come with time. I think he should come off the bench for a while.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Much better game this week. Still way too many errors but the speed and intent they played with bodes well. Looking forward to that 4 try win next week.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I bet coopers try looked like he just popped up in the right place on the tv. Have not seen a replay. Live though we watched him move it one direction and get the whole Bulls team going that way then he doubled back on them. It was a piece of play the whole of Lang Park got but the Bulls seemed to miss.

The roar when Jono went over was hysterical where we sit. Nothing better than being there going mental with thousands of other in moments like that.

That sounds like the old Quade so that is bloody fantastic news.

Nothing beats live rugby. I wish I could realistically get down to use my members seat more than I do.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Very, very, very average game.

For someone who calls themselves Happy you sure have a negative outlook if your comments on this thread are anything to go by.

I was entertained & the Reds two tries were fantastically executed, now if they can only put together 80 minute performances. With the big names now getting back to match fitness & coming back into the side like they'd never been out for a period I expect the next few weeks to be a lot better indeed!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
For someone who calls themselves Happy you sure have a negative outlook if your comments on this thread are anything to go by.

I was entertained & the Reds two tries were fantastically executed, now if they can only put together 80 minute performances. With the big names now getting back to match fitness & coming back into the side like they'd never been out for a period I expect the next few weeks to be a lot better indeed!
As a fan, I can see why you are happy with the result, and some of the play, and the finish was "grand-stand", but much of the game was a dire combo of the Reds trying stuff, but making lots of mistakes, and the Bulls trying to bore us to death with box-kicks and a complete unwillingness to attack with ball in hand. Lo and behold, when they did, it got exciting! The Reds can look to it with some promise in some of what they did, but the Bulls not so much. Had the Bulls scored at the end, and no doubt converted it, for the win, it would have been a cruel irony (but better for my tips, as I thought the Bulls might sneak it!).

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
All of what you say is true Cyclo & I don't have a problem with people posting criticism of a game/team if it's constructive. But our ole mate "Happy" just littered this thread with one liner negative comments & that wears a bit thin imo.
The Reds probably had about 20-30 minutes of great play last night.... the rest was littered with mistakes & ill discipline. The Bulls are just largely predictable, however there is nothing new there. It works well for them against some teams & when they play at home.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Take it easy on Happy.

There are plenty who can't get to games, or don't have Foxtel. Happy gave a blow by blow account of the game as he saw it and there are probably plenty of gaggerlanders that thank him for that even if it did highlight errors made by both teams.

Having done it from time to time, it isn't all that easy to type and watch the game at the same time.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My observations:
Game not fantastic but a nail biter to the end. too many lost opportunities out wide.
Big Kevie does some silly things but has been absent for a long time - will only get better.
Genia OK and getting back to form
Cooper getting better - he seemed to be having fun and I reckon that has to be his style of play. Too serious and he folds a bit.
Quirk had an ill-disciplined game. Holmes very busy all night.
Simmons had the best half of football I have seen him play - obviously very motiivated now that Horwill back
The 2 yellows were a joke - maybe, just maybe a penalty but no yellow. Lance helped his bloke down and Slipper tried to be a kangaroo so shouldn't blame the poor winger. he probably shit himself to see a prop coming at him. Suppose after the yellow on Lance the Slipper one showed at least consistency.
Butler and Browning went well and will get better and better but we missed Gill big time.

a win is a win. Hopefully the Bulls will be really pissed off - lookout the Brums.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Well that's the last time I will be posting while a game is on. Sorry if I came across negative. It seemed to me a very poor game while I was watching on tv. The Bulls just box kicked over and over, non of them contestable. The Reds made lots of errors, most of them unforced.

I can understand how being at the game would have been a different experience, especially at the end when the Bulls finally decided to play, and it must have been very tense for Reds fans.

By the same token, I didn't expect to be roundly attacked for posting what I saw. As I said, I won't be posting while watching again. Apparently you are not allowed to comment on mistakes and poor play.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Mr Doug, We needed a double Scotch (Johnny Walker Red) to get through that game.

Big Kev made a difference in the first half. Genia played well. Diggers needs a better haircut. QC (Quade Cooper) was good in patches but 200% better than last week.

Hugh, my McGuigan's Black Label (red) did the trick for me, and like your uncle Jock would say,"the price is right"!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I bet coopers try looked like he just popped up in the right place on the tv. Have not seen a replay. Live though we watched him move it one direction and get the whole Bulls team going that way then he doubled back on them. It was a piece of play the whole of Lang Park got but the Bulls seemed to miss.

The roar when Jono went over was hysterical where we sit. Nothing better than being there going mental with thousands of other in moments like that.

I said to a mate at the game that it almost seemed to be a set play.

Cooper wanted the ball earlier on the open side, but didn't get it, so just use a short ball play to drag defenders across. He then knew that there were only forwards left on the blind and switched play there for the mismatch.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Exciting and tense finish. I enjoyed it and everyone around me at the ground did as well, even with a bit of frustration here and there sometimes.

A good game from QC (Quade Cooper), and a relly good game by Genia. Bulls never really looked like scoring a try until that one at the end. Reds looked a lot better than last week, but still dropped quite a bit of ball. Not too surprising though given its another game played in a sauna.

I can't recall anyone nodding off or doing a crossword near where I was sitting. A goodly amount of shrieking, groaning and Bad Attitude towards James Leckie was more the order of the day (or night).

Yes there were mistakes by both sides and the fella with the whistle plus one blind touchie, but by hell it did not bore.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Happy, as No4918 says, you may be taking it a bit seriously. Commentating on a sports game, be it on a Rugby forum or on FoxSports, is a very difficult thing to do well. Just look at the amount of whining on here about "crap" commentators. The majority of punters will never be happy. This game in particular was a difficult one to commentate on, as you said it was a fairly inane game plan by the Bulls and a litany or errors and ill discipline from the Reds. The secret is to still try and call it with an element of positivity.

I must admit, following this thread (on my phone via Tapatalk - so you don't get the supporters icons) whilst watching the game at home it felt like you were trying to be negative and I felt an anti Reds sentiment in your posts. If you say that wasn't intended then I'm ok with that.

Don't stop posting but, take the criticisms with a grain of salt and do what most other people do on here and reply with some pithy remark like, "What do you expect in a thread full of Queenslanders" or some other gem; add the obligatory smiley face and move on. ;)

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Well that's the last time I will be posting while a game is on. Sorry if I came across negative. It seemed to me a very poor game while I was watching on tv. The Bulls just box kicked over and over, non of them contestable. The Reds made lots of errors, most of them unforced.

I can understand how being at the game would have been a different experience, especially at the end when the Bulls finally decided to play, and it must have been very tense for Reds fans.

By the same token, I didn't expect to be roundly attacked for posting what I saw. As I said, I won't be posting while watching again. Apparently you are not allowed to comment on mistakes and poor play.

An unhappy happy. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Watching the match right now, how about that torpedo from Digby?

Just finished up. Handling and ball safety better be drilled on to infinity in the practice sessions this week, way too many unforced errors. We should have had at least two and possibly three tries in the first half if not for stupid, simple errors.

On a brighter note that assault on the Bull's try-line at the end of the first quarter was incredibly satisfying to watch. Multiple phases of hard runners and quick ball putting incredible pressure on the Bulls defense, sadly the try scoring movement got spoiled by poor ball safety. For the first time in a while though I felt like I was watching the Reds team from 2011 play and it felt great. If they can clean up the errors and attack like they did in Round 6 the Reds should be a dangerous team for anyone to play this year.

Quade had a sub-par night from the tee but he was at 80% going into the game tonight for kicking and seemed to have improved in his goal kicking earlier this year so this may have just been an off-night at the tee for him. They happen.

CFS needs to stop with the brain farts or he needs to be put back on the bench for a few games.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)

Totally agree with you. Was poor. Ball was 32 minutes in play where 21 of those minutes where spend in no-mans-land that is on halfway, just Bulls or Reds territory. Further if you add both up then the ball was turned over 52 times 25 of those due to handling errors.

Was made it better was when Serfontein, Juandré Kruger, Willie Wepener and Morné Steyn eventually came on, there was suddenly more fluidity in the Bulls, so much so that they nearly pulled the game out of the fire. Willie Wepener seems to be far hungrier than Chiliboy Ralepelle at present as well, shows more mongrell and contributes better in loose play.

Rotation, purely for the sake of rotation, as Frans Ludeke applied it this past weekend, was total folly and predictably going to fail. Rotation to me, means “Responsible Rotation” of at most 3 players at a time…. not 9.

Venter seem to be perform poor but he was stationed outside the worst distributing flyhalf in Super Rugby as in Fouche and he was not even in the touring squad initially and basically had 3 practice sessions with the Bulls.

I have no idea where your team will perform as a unit when you ring so many changes and it looked more like instead of training the Bulls went site seeing. The only guy who probably trained was Fouche receiving and kicking balls away he gets from his halfbacks.

I thought the Blues would show everyone that so many changes can't be good and both of them have paid for it dearly. Bulls lost 2 and Blues lost 2 where they could have been more competitive in some the others they could have won it.

Bulls will have to step up several gears for next weekend against the Brumbies, and even if they do it’s going to be difficult to win the encounter, so I expect another Bulls loss on the coming weekend, even though the Brumbies will be flying back against the clock from their defeat against the Stormers

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Apologies as I haven't read this thread in full. I just wanted to point out: a) Genia was very good, b) Cooper had pleading flashes, c) Marto is an unmitigated fucking moron and should not be allowed to speak in public, let alone on television.

Status
Not open for further replies.