• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Bulls Rnd 5 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linebacker_41

Like everyone I was very dissapointed with not the result, as a loss by 8pts still gives you the same competition points, but more the last 20 mins.

Having said that I still hold a great deal of hope for the back end of the season. The first 3 wins of the season were crucial, many commentators were saying prior to the season that a 3W 4L start to the year before Quade gets back would be a pass result. Whilst I dont agree that a >50% win rate is acceptable the logic over the season that runs to August is sound.

The key to the Reds title defence will be the next 4 games. Split these games 50/50 and in my opinion they will play finals drop all 4 and they are in trouble.

Link is intelligent and I am sure he would have done the calculations on this. The reds will make the changes required and I have faith that togther with his assistants they will get the results needed to set up the back half of the season.

I just hope that the For and Against doesnt come into at the end of the year cause that is where this game will hurt most.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Sorry RH, i cannot believe that Taylor can be blamed at all for the efforts put into those tackles. Even if his mind had "wandered" if the players have already forgotten there defensive systems there are far bigger problems than his leaving.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Sorry RH, i cannot believe that Taylor can be blamed at all for the efforts put into those tackles. Even if his mind had "wandered" if the players have already forgotten there defensive systems there are far bigger problems than his leaving.

Yeah, it was just a frustrated speculation as to one possible factor, and not a 'total blame'. But there must be some coaching responsibility after 5 rounds where defensive intensity and organisation has often been lacking at great cost, and where consistently sound tackling technique also seems to have fallen away.

As I've said elsewhere, again after 5 rounds, I think the whole team's 'culture' and mindset was not where it was in 2011 and 'champions' winning syndrome' has set in in 2012, and we'll only turn the right corner when we get humble again and rapidly rebuild our skills and the hunger to deliver them to a high standard.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think that people need to settle down and realise that this competition is a 2 mile event not a 5 furlong dash. No one cares who's first past the post the first time around in the Melbourne Cup.

There is no reason for panic after one result, and it is far too early to canonise other coaches - never is the right time to canonise a coach. They all stumble sooner or later.

There is still a whole lot of football to be played and some of the key factors for success are:
  • Having enough points to be in the mix come finals time;
  • Getting a fit team of quality players on the park come finals time; and
  • Having playing momentum come finals time.
We should enjoy the drama of it all and watch how coaches and teams deal with both failure and success along the way.

I think there is a fair reason to panic if it is a repeat of the same sort of failings from previous seasons, i.e. its a recurrent theme. However, in regards to the Reds alone I believe as bad a loss as it is I do agree with you Bruce that there is no reason to panic.

I honesty believe that once Quade comes back the Reds will build their way back up again. Injuries pending I see it as them & the Brumbies as the Aussie conferences main contenders despite the loss to the Bulls who were brutal.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think that people need to settle down and realise that this competition is a 2 mile event not a 5 furlong dash. No one cares who's first past the post the first time around in the Melbourne Cup.

There is no reason for panic after one result, and it is far too early to canonise other coaches - never is the right time to canonise a coach. They all stumble sooner or later.

There is still a whole lot of football to be played and some of the key factors for success are:
  • Having enough points to be in the mix come finals time;
  • Getting a fit team of quality players on the park come finals time; and
  • Having playing momentum come finals time.
We should enjoy the drama of it all and watch how coaches and teams deal with both failure and success along the way.

Well said Bruce. The comp is really tight this year and there is plenty that can and will happen between now and the finals. The Reds are still a good side and I see them still being well and truly in the mix come finals time. Their injury list is long, but so was the Tahs last year.

Now is the time where we find out what they're made of I think.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Reds finally back to earth. Brutes were simply awesome. Powerfull as only they can be and dominated everything.
The Bulls really bullied the Reds. Very heavy in the contact and handily won the rucks and mauling contests. The only area the Reds looked good was in the scrum but that counted for nothing when getting thrashed around the park. In the backs, the running Bulls were punching holes at will and outflanking the Reds out wide.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Having said that I still hold a great deal of hope for the back end of the season. The first 3 wins of the season were crucial, many commentators were saying prior to the season that a 3W 4L start to the year before Quade gets back would be a pass result. Whilst I dont agree that a >50% win rate is acceptable the logic over the season that runs to August is sound.
Really? I would love a >50% win rate... i.e larger then 50%. I think you meant <50%. Sorry, I'm a pedant. Otherwise I agree.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I honesty believe that once Quade comes back the Reds will build their way back up again. Injuries pending I see it as them & the Brumbies as the Aussie conferences main contenders despite the loss to the Bulls who were brutal.

I think the Waratahs are also still very much in contention in the Aussie conference, Angry. Losses by 4, 1 and 1 could easily have been wins and they are the only team to have picked up a bonus point each game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The missed tackles stats were made worse by a few factors:

1. The Bulls dominated the breakdown and the speed of their recycle allowed them to run full steam at us for long periods of time. Hard for guys like Murphy to tackle back rower with a 15m run up
2. The Reds obviously switched off in the last 20 minutes

P

Paradox

Did S Fainga'a hold onto the ball at any point before is his unfortunate injury?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We got belted in the forwards - no question. I feel I know enough about Rugby to say that.

But whenever I take a forray into critiquing backs play I always like to disclaimer it, by saying, being a forward all my life I have next to no idea what those pretty young things do while us forwards do all the hard work. ;) But I digress...

It looked to me that there was little to no 'trust' in the backline. A standout of the 2011 Reds across the field, was an unquestionable trust that the man inside you, had his man covered and you had yours etc. On Sun morning, there appeared to be a lot of guys coming in off thier player because they didn't seem to have confidence that the guy inside them would make the tackle. The end result - quite a lot of holes and overlaps. Is this an accurate observation? Would it be mainly due to the disruptions in the back line and the lack of 'combinations'?

And the big question, can we fix this quickly?

W

What2040

More likely to be "Don't you worry about that" before an ill-timed run at federal politics.

BPC - reckon you are on the money - maybe 1 more election and "Can Do" will run the road for Canberra - BUT it is littered with bodies and bones all the way

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Seriously guys, I can let one or two election related posts slip by, but I get enough of that in the smoko room at work! Can we get back to Rugby puuullllleeeeeeeeaaaaassssseeeeeee????? ;)

C

Cave Dweller

The Reds have been winning the games through they're massive defence so far. But for once it failed where one can say due to certain factors like injuries to key positions etc. But the Bulls were very fired up and came out guns blazing in the 2nd half. I think they knew at high altitude the Reds will run out of steam and the flurry of tries in the end showed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.