• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Chiefs, Fri 8th July, Suncorp Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Indigenous Round

St.George Queensland Reds side to play Chiefs
7:45pm, Friday 8 July, Suncorp Stadium

1. James Slipper (C)
2. Andrew Ready
3. Greg Holmes
4. Cadeyrn Neville
5. Kane Douglas (run-on debut)
6. Hendrik Tui
7. Liam Gill
8. Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby
10. Duncan Paia’aua (run-on debut)
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Henry Taefu
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Kuridrani
15. Jack Tuttle

16. Matt Mafi
17. Sef Fa’agase
18. Taniela Tupou
19. Lukhan Tui
20. Leroy Houston
21. James Tuttle
22. Anthony Fainga’a
23. Campbell Magnay

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Looks a very strong forward pack.

Browning deserves another run on but interested to see the impact of Leroy when replacement made.

Also happy with Duncan at 10. Hopefully he doesn't stand as deep as McIntyre.

Reds up against it but stranger things have happened.

Reds by a bit

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I like this team. It's amazing what the omission of McIntyre's name from the team sheet does for my enthusiasm. I don't expect Duncan to be a whole lot different, but I guess I've just been getting really frustrated with the lack of change/improvement in Jake's game.

Go you REDS!!

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
One thing that impressed me with Duncan was his ability to take on the line and seems able to 'draw and pass' rather than shoveling the ball to the next bloke. Still looks a 12 but i think he can be a competent 10.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I guess it's possible. Nobody would have picked the Reds to beat the Highlanders earlier in the season.

But the Highlanders have struggled with the Reds before, their style of play seems to be less effective against the Reds than against most others. The Chiefs are in a whole different league in terms of attack and I think guys like McKenzie will make Swiss cheese of the Reds' defence.

Chiefs should score 30+ points, question is what the Reds will score...

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I guess it's possible. Nobody would have picked the Reds to beat the Highlanders earlier in the season.

But the Highlanders have struggled with the Reds before, their style of play seems to be less effective against the Reds than against most others. The Chiefs are in a whole different league in terms of attack and I think guys like McKenzie will make Swiss cheese of the Reds' defence.

Chiefs should score 30+ points, question is what the Reds will score.

The Chiefs have struggled against the Reds also.

Last 5 starts:
2015: Chiefs (24) def Reds (3) @ Brisbane
2014: N/A
2013: Reds (31) def Chiefs (23) @ Waikato
2012: Reds (42) def Chiefs (27) @ Brisbane
2011: Reds (19) def Chiefs (11) @ Waikato
2010: Reds (23) def Chiefs (18) @ Waikato

It's worth noting that in the Chiefs two championship seasons we were only one of four teams to beat them each year.

Sure, past successes are no indication of future glories but for some reason, as with the Highlanders, the Chiefs tend to struggle against us.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Chiefs have struggled against the Reds also.

Last 5 starts:
2015: Chiefs (24) def Reds (3) @ Brisbane
2014: N/A
2013: Reds (31) def Chiefs (13) @ Waikato
2012: Reds (42) def Chiefs (27) @ Brisbane
2011: Reds (19) def Chiefs (11) @ Waikato
2010: Reds (23) def Chiefs (18) @ Waikato

It's worth noting that in their two championship seasons we were only one of four teams to beat them each year.

Sure, past successes are no indication of future glories but for some reason, as with the Highlanders, the Chiefs tend to struggle against us.

We beat the chiefs 31-23 in 2013, not 31-13.
/pedant
Crucially though, every time we played the chiefs since Link left, we have lost (yes it's only 1 match but still)

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
We were a VERY different side in 2012 and 2013 though - everyone struggled against us to some extent. Our precipitous fall from grace began in 2014 when RG became head coach.

I'm talking more about results in our current form, 2014-16, when both the Highlanders and Chiefs have been strong sides and we haven't been.

2015 the Highlanders beat us 20-13 in Dunedin - a mere 7 point margin for the eventual champions.

2014 we actually beat them 38-31 at Suncorp with a try after the siren.

And of course this season we scraped in a 1 point win after Kerevi ran riot.

So in the same period we've scored two upset wins a BP loss again the Highlanders, we've played the Chiefs once and got comprehensively beaten, didn't score a try and never looked like scoring one.

The Chiefs now have probably the slipperiest backline in the comp and we have a notoriously leaky defence. I'll happily be proven wrong but I think we'll need to score more than 30 points to win this one.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We beat the chiefs 31-23 in 2013, not 31-13.
/pedant
Crucially though, every time we played the chiefs since Link left, we have lost (yes it's only 1 match but still)

Cheers, fixed. Wrote the year instead of the score. :oops:

EDIT: And you don't understand the wet blanket reference? ;)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We were a VERY different side in 2012 and 2013 though - everyone struggled against us to some extent. Our precipitous fall from grace began in 2014 when RG became head coach.

I'm talking more about results in our current form, 2014-16, when both the Highlanders and Chiefs have been strong sides and we haven't been.

2015 the Highlanders beat us 20-13 in Dunedin - a mere 7 point margin for the eventual champions.

2014 we actually beat them 38-31 at Suncorp with a try after the siren.

And of course this season we scraped in a 1 point win after Kerevi ran riot.

So in the same period we've scored two upset wins a BP loss again the Highlanders, we've played the Chiefs once and got comprehensively beaten, didn't score a try and never looked like scoring one.

The Chiefs now have probably the slipperiest backline in the comp and we have a notoriously leaky defence. I'll happily be proven wrong but I think we'll need to score more than 30 points to win this one.

Yeah I know it's not apples and apples but it's still worth noting that historically we've had the wood on a team that has been the benchmark or thereabouts for the past 5 years.

In summing up my argument I will just say that it’s the constitution, it’s Mabo, it’s justice, it’s law, it’s the vibe, and…no that’s it…it’s the vibe. I rest my case.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1. Kane Hames (5)
2. Nathan Harris (19)
3. Atu Moli (7)
4. Dominic Bird (7)
5. Taleni Seu (14)
6. Tom Sanders (11)
7. Lachlan Boshier (4)
8. Sam Cane (78) co-captain
9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow (63)
10. Aaron Cruden (69) co-captain
11. James Lowe (33)
12. Anton Lienert-Brown (20)
13. Seta Tamanivalu (19)
14. Toni Pulu (9)
15. Damian McKenzie (29)
RESERVES:

16. Hika Elliot (100)
17. Siegfried Fisi’ihoi (7)
18. Siate Tokolahi (27)
19. Mitchell Brown (2)
20. Liam Messam (144)
21. Brad Weber (38)
22. Andrew Horrell (54)
23. Sam McNicol (8)

Cheifs have rested Brodie Retallick.

T

TOCC

Chiefs strength is certainly in the backs, Reds strength will again be in the set piece, Reds need to be smart/not-stupid with their kicking game, need to ensure their kicks find touch, don't give McKenzie/TKB and Cruden easy ball to counter attack.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I like the look of this Reds side too, but I'll be surprised if we are within 20, the Chiefs are rattling toward the finals afterall. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong.

Good to see DP at 10 and starting.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Looking at the general number of caps the chiefs players have, I'm surprised at how low it appears. Just from a glance, most players only seem to have been around for 2/3 seasons at this level?

Status
Not open for further replies.