• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Chiefs, Fri 8th July, Suncorp Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
That was a lively run by Browning, just as he's coming into his own he announces he's buggering off to France, something he'd apparently decided to do some time ago. A shame. I sincerely hope someone's got the commonsense to keep track of his French contract expiry date. Or is even that beyond the ken of the QRU?
He's engaged to the new CEO's daughter so I'm pretty sure they will be across what his future plans might be.

T

Tip

Probably 1-2 years at a guess. Can't find anywhere that says contract length. Its was gonna be either him or Schatz, and they chose Schatz.

FML and the Reds.
I was born in Freo, so I'm going to get behind a franchise that doesn't accept mediocrity.

Oh wait...

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Think I remember reading Browning is only on a 1 year contract with Lyon.

Also it was not a choice between him and Schatz. Browning jumped, he wasn't pushed. With Houston, Smith and Tui on the books I don't blame him. There's a good chance Schatz will be gone as well.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Think I remember reading Browning is only on a 1 year contract with Lyon.

Also it was not a choice between him and Schatz. Browning jumped, he wasn't pushed. With Houston, Smith and Tui on the books I don't blame him. There's a good chance Schatz will be gone as well.

Ahhh ok

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
This guy seems capable of doing all 4:

4b70916b00d4bc90c7db631a8761a796

:)

^^^^ IMHO a step backwards.

After watching last weeks game and this weeks game, as a Brumbies supporter I would happily take most of the Reds back-line and trade it for the Brumbies backline.

Your backline at times is really threatening and under a decent coach will would be a real handful. I really think the Reds have most of the pieces to the puzzle but need someone to unlock it.

Someone made the comment early on in here that the backline is standing too deep irrespective of who is playing which maybe the biggest clue. History clearly shows that QC (Quade Cooper) playing deep has been proved as a disaster, so most likely it would be the same if he were at 10 last night.

T

TOCC

Browning wasnt pushed, he was close to heading to the Rebels 12 months ago before he inured his knee, Reds re-signed him after that. But as evident to all of us, it hasn't been the best environment for a young player to develop in. He is off to France for 12 months, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in QLD in 2018 if coaching appointments go well.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have been highly critical of McIntyre, and whilst the setup was the same for the most part, Paia'aua played much differently. He will hold the ball, take it to the line more often than standing and dishing. Playing at line helps reach the gain line more effectively, or not losing as many metres. The first phase play to the Kuridrani try was a good example of lead up work from a flatter attack and a 10 who will take a hit.

Secondly, McIntyre is one of the the most ineffective defenders in Super Rugby, constantly dropping off and allowing metres past contact. Paia'aua as a natural centre, is sound in defence and put on a great cover tackle at one point.

Paia'aua's kicking was the weak point. If you can't see the difference between the 2, I'm sorry I can't help you. The difference may not have been clear last night because the result was the same, but over a few games you will see that they way Duncan plays will open up alot more opportunities.

So basically the structure was the same and resulted in the same attacking outcomes. That was the basis for the majority of the hyper critical comment of McIntyre. As for assertions that Paia'aua is a massively better defender than McIntyre, that is a very big assertion on the back of a game in which the side ships 50 points coming across the park in attack.

I can see the difference between, I certainly don't need your help, but if you truly think that an individual player in that structure is the problem better just stick to getting superficial enjoyment from the singular good run or singular cover tackle.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
So basically the structure was the same and resulted in the same attacking outcomes. That was the basis for the majority of the hyper critical comment of McIntyre. As for assertions that Paia'aua is a massively better defender than McIntyre, that is a very big assertion on the back of a game in which the side ships 50 points coming across the park in attack.

I can see the difference between, I certainly don't need your help, but if you truly think that an individual player in that structure is the problem better just stick to getting superficial enjoyment from the singular good run or singular cover tackle.

I dont think one player is at fault but given the same game plan, spacing and alignment of players surely there would be differences between two players.

I dont think Duncan made us a better team, but he seems to be an equivalent of what we have seen all year so I think this is a positive as he can improve.

I just dont see the room for improvement with Jake.

an observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Secondly, McIntyre is one of the the most ineffective defenders in Super Rugby, constantly dropping off and allowing metres past contact..

Are you serious? McIntyre is one of, if not the best defending fly half in the comp.

The work rate of McIntyre is up there. Remember this is a team game. When your fly half is the last man standing in defence it is ringing with issues around the forwards and what level of defence they have to offer.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Are you serious? McIntyre is one of, if not the best defending fly half in the comp.

The work rate of McIntyre is up there. Remember this is a team game. When your fly half is the last man standing in defence it is ringing with issues around the forwards and what level of defence they have to offer.

Yeah he is. It's one of only two facets that he is ahead of Quade (the other is game time).

Otherwise there is just nothing that QC (Quade Cooper) isnt simply levels of class higher than Mac.

@MST its dissapoointing getting cooments outside the Red family on this. We are not here talking about QC (Quade Cooper) to the Wallabies. To be fair, there are Reds supporters who agree though.

What we need is a) and HC capable of attracting playets like aquade (and Gill); b) Quade in early for a proper pre-season, c) game time in the 2017 season.

Yes, probably the HC would want to adjust defense to put QC (Quade Cooper) outside of the 10 channel. I'm cool with that the same way that I'm cool that Folo needs a defender likeToomua outside him at the WBs.

We desperately need a thinking, decission making, ball playing, creative running 10. The list is short. One man long to be precise, and there may well be a "?" Next to the QC (Quade Cooper) initials. Just do it Reds.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
@MST its dissapoointing getting cooments outside the Red family on this. We are not here talking about QC (Quade Cooper) to the Wallabies. To be fair, there are Reds supporters who agree though.

I had considered the QC (Quade Cooper) Wallabies scenario when I posted my comment.

I honestly think your backline the other night showed promise irrespective of the results. Duncan Paia'Aua looks the goods IMHO. Even the previous week against the Brumbies they looked threatening at times.

I can understand the temptation with QC (Quade Cooper), but with a young group that has been together through adversity and had bonded somewhat, if you can get a good HC that can get the game plan right and work with what you have (and there is some serious firepower in your backs) to develop the skills and combinations then they will gel really well and work as a strong unit growing together (and i doubt that will happen under any of the current incumbent coaches).

I believe the risk with bringing QC (Quade Cooper) back is bringing back the "old ways" in to a new and different culture. Also being favoured and receiving preferential treatment (which he would) may not help the culture in the group.

In saying that, i would try to sign QC (Quade Cooper) but, only after a HC is appointed and 95% of the squad settled to supplement the playing list, as a mentor and the "experienced" 10 and with a clear understanding that players will be picked on form alone.

BTW,FWIW, for 2017 as a Brumbies supporter, I would be more than happy to have your 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and even Tuttle at 15 next year in our squad over some we already have, and have just / potentially signed.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
There's nothing wrong with the individual players in the backline, with a couple of exceptions (McIntyre and CFS for mine). They have issues around handling, kicking and defence, but all of those can be coached. In terms of speed, size, strength, agility and ability they are fine.

That's a big part of the reason why the Reds constantly frustrate us. We know they have the ability these days. They just don't have the coaching muscle behind them. Or the coaching brains, for that matter - I watched the replay of the Chiefs game yesterday and Chris Kuridrani was by far our best back. And he's been left out of the bloody squad this entire season until the two guys ahead of him both got injured.

The problems with the Reds are structural, within the organisation, and that's why seemingly underperforming players keep getting pinched by other franchises or overseas, and then we suddenly find out they are actually great players.

T

Tip

TI watched the replay of the Chiefs game yesterday and Chris Kuridrani was by far our best back. And he's been left out of the bloody squad this entire season until the two guys ahead of him both got injured.

To be fair, Chris Kuridrani was a bit of a fizza in the NRC last year and was lucky to still be on the Reds books for 2017. Laoifi & Nabuli definitely deserved to be above him on the pecking order, ditto CFS if you watched City play.

You're on point regarding coaching. However, it's fair to say the coaching issues are endemic thoughout all Aussie players. Unfortunately, the acts of Carmichael & Co. in reappointing Graham set QLD rugby back 4 years. 2 years as head coach, 2 years to clean up his mess.

Give it time, I'm really interested to see how the Reds go next year, in particular the young up&comers' who have been dealing with Bradley F'kin Thorne 5 days a week. Then there's George Smith dropping knowledge bombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.