• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Stormers, Newlands 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I did like when the game was on the line, Quade changed his approach, that showed maturity. He should've played like that the whole game though.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Very ordinary from the Reds tonight. Couldn't get the job done against a severely depleted Stormers line up that hadn't been going that well anyway.

Well played by the Stormers. Defense outstanding again.

Reds attack misfiring and too many stupid turnovers and farked lineouts.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
wouldn't mind seeing that last play again. Looked a lot like the ruck was well formed before Liebenburg got his hands on the ball?

(I rewinded) There was no ruck formed, just him and Genia wrestling for the ball. Could call it a number of things there, but the most positive play was the Stormers guy on his feet.

Even if he was late, it was probably the only breakdown the entire play there where the Reds hadn't sealed the contest off so any complaints are going to appear selective at best.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
(I rewinded) There was no ruck formed, just him and Genia wrestling for the ball. Could call it a number of things there, but the most positive play was the Stormers guy on his feet.

Even if he was late, it was probably the only breakdown the entire play there where the Reds hadn't sealed the contest off so any complaints are going to appear selective at best.
Cheers thanks

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
Bad luck boys, Tried hard on the tour but the greater forces prevailed. Get some rest and train hard. Best team in oz ( except maybe those ponie boys). Go hard for the rest. WE are proud of you.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Making the run home for the finals nice and tight. Be a tough game next with rebels on a high after the big win against the tahs.
Missed diggers hard running tonight.

Nice and tight in the top 6 for the play offs.
Need the rebels win big time before the super rugby break and with bye it will be nice to take maximum point away.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The lineout was a huge problem with the (possible)Wallabies main lineout jumper and back-up hooker. Not good.
Genia very quiet for the last 2 weeks.
Ezebeth(sp?) is a very good lock. Where do they find them in SA?

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
shattered. Solid game from QC (Quade Cooper) overall but quite obvious that he has given up on the wallabies jersey. Didn't play to Deans' requirements whatsoever and good on him for doing so. Very dangerous with his usual high risk errors.

In a normal world, the national coach says what he wants from the player and the player tries to do it.
In Quade-supporter-land Quade doesn't do what the national coach wants from him and we say "good on him".
WTF??

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Very ordinary from the Reds tonight. Couldn't get the job done against a severely depleted Stormers line up that hadn't been going that well anyway.

Well played by the Stormers. Defense outstanding again.

Reds attack misfiring and too many stupid turnovers and farked lineouts.

I have not seen the game but how much depth must the Stormers have to have that many injuries and still show up in defense.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It was solid defence, but the reds attack was dire at best.

I am wondering if the reds even train their attack moves fully, because they just don't seem to come off. It's like they are talking about what they are going to do in attack, they practice it once or twice at training and then whether it comes off or not in training they just stop and go "yeah that'll do".

One thing that is very worrying is their support runners -ALL of them are over running the player with the ball. If you look at a video of the support runners from 2010 and 2011, the timing of the support runners is just about perfect, now they are all running too early and quite often in an offside position leading to a call of forward pass or the ball carrier having to check his pass and thus bring the attacking play to a halt.

That's what it looks like to me, anyway.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think we aren't giving enough credit to the stormers defense. It was the best I have seen this season.

The reds weren't able to get a roll on through the forwards and that is why the attack looked average against a vet organised defensive line.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think we aren't giving enough credit to the stormers defense. It was the best I have seen this season.

The reds weren't able to get a roll on through the forwards and that is why the attack looked average against a vet organised defensive line.
You are right - it was quite good defence. I don't necessarily agree that it was the best I have seen this season - they defended well and we attacked under par exacerbating the relative differences of the two teams.

Also, just re-reading my post I sort of smooshed my thoughts from this particular game and the reds last two seasons as a whole together into one. Sorry.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Reds lacking penetration in the backs. A bit of that can be put down to the forwards not being able to execute a long line-out accurately and at speed. I'd like to see hanson start.

The stormers defence is nearly always the best in the comp, and you could see tonight the reds gameplan involved scoring points either by individual brilliance or by kicking penalties. Needs to be another option.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
you could see tonight the reds gameplan involved scoring points either by individual brilliance or by kicking penalties. Needs to be another option.

Sounds familiar.... Ewen isnt doing his coaching bid too many favours at the moment.

There is something missing at the moment. They just aren't quite humming and there are heaps of things to pick out of that game but they all seem to be stemming from something bigger. Maybe the lions tour is distracting players... Tapuai for a start at 12 possibly?? He was solid when he came on.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
When Quade wears red he is not playing for Dingo Deans. He executes the Reds game plan.
I agree Reds, he should execute the Reds game plan, but is Link really telling him to keep moving across field like that?? If so I can't see him ever getting Wallabies job! Against a good defensive team like Stormers I had impression QC (Quade Cooper) drifted across field and set up his outsides to get hit.
Just impression I had!!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Scotty - was it really a notch ahead of the Stormers' defence that the Tahs and Rebels were able to unpick? I'm not convinced, perhaps the home crowd gave it a bit more intensity and confidence, but I'd not say the realtive difference was a key factor for the outcome vs Reds.

Our line out was shoddy and looked under-rehearsed (especially after 2 weeks in SA and what we knew of the SA jumpers). Our loosies seemed slow to and often ineffective at the breakdown, we went back to our pattern of handling errors and turnovers that blighted our attack earlier in this season. Other than our general defence, I can't think of a single facet of our team play that was truly well-structured and executed.

In a sense the Stormers embarrassed us with that well conceived and executed set piece try off their line out. That's exactly the type of daring scoring device off set piece that helped the Reds win the 2011 title. How many of those have we executed and pulled off in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.