• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Stormers, Newlands 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Fantastic effort! That try was brilliant and to lose so many players and have a defence still work like that speaks volumes for the coaching structure.
Thats the benefit of having the Vodacom Cup. Nienaber works with all the top teams. Never underestimate de Allende defense. He was huge in 12 last year in the CC final and a strong powerfull player. Also come like Ysterbeth from the northern suburbs of Cape Town (Milnerton) where they grow up tough.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Every side is a better attacking side than the Stormers - defiantly so.:)
Not really. Take the amount of ball they normally have or runs made/meters gained and you will find they make more yards for less runs. Just missing a guy like Burger

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If we are going on results, then he is in a bit of trouble this year.
These vocal Reds supporters can't have it both ways.
You can't claim that most of the side should be in the Wobs squad,and that the coach should be a shoo in as well.
Cos with his coaching,and their playing.It aint working ATM.

Where did I claim that 'most of the side should be in the Wobs squad'? Please point that out to me?

I take it by your rationale that you don't think Cheika should be the next Wallaby coach? A team full of wallabies but still outside the top six?

Link is the front running option and has been for two years. I don't see what is so controversial about that statement?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not sure who deserves it most, but not sure why any of us think Link should be guaranteed spot, what do you think he has done that you think he should have it sown up?? And don't say he has won a S15, as I have said before Deans won it a few times, it not really a guarantee of a successful coach. I not against Link by any means, but do think coaches that have had success outside of S15 ie; under different types of rugby should never be dismissed as a good selection for Wallaby's coach.

- most successful Australian super coach of the last 4 years, taking the Reds to one title, one top 6 and another just outside the finals (after coming from the bottom of the table the year before)
- previously took the Waratahs to two finals and one semi-final, and was an injury away (Beale) from a title with them
- assistant coach to Macqueen during the Wallabies success against the BIL in 2001, assistant coach to Jones during the 2003 RWC where they made the final

I'm struggling to name another current Australian coach that has anywhere near the same credentials?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Where did I claim that 'most of the side should be in the Wobs squad'? Please point that out to me?

I take it by your rationale that you don't think Cheika should be the next Wallaby coach? A team full of wallabies but still outside the top six?

Link is the front running option and has been for two years. I don't see what is so controversial about that statement?
If you read the various threads, there are very few Reds players that have not been spruiked by one poster or another.
In regards to Cheika,you are ignoring where the Tahs came from last year.
Link has hardly improved year on year has he?
White has,but off a low base.
I'm not saying he shouldn't, but IMO he has lost a lot of ground this year,and is by no means a shoo in.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
- most successful Australian super coach of the last 4 years, taking the Reds to one title, one top 6 and another just outside the finals (after coming from the bottom of the table the year before)
- previously took the Waratahs to two finals and one semi-final, and was an injury away (Beale) from a title with them
- assistant coach to Macqueen during the Wallabies success against the BIL in 2001, assistant coach to Jones during the 2003 RWC where they made the final

I'm struggling to name another current Australian coach that has anywhere near the same credentials?
And can string an entire sentence together without a huge pause and a stupid nod.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If you read the various threads, there are very few Reds players that have not been spruiked by one poster or another.
I'm not saying he shouldn't, but IMO he has lost a lot of ground this year,and is by no means a shoo in.

Hang on,

First you quoted my post and said that:

You can't claim that most of the side should be in the Wobs squad,and that the coach should be a shoo in as well.

So where did I say that?

In regards to Cheika, I am not ignoring where the Tahs have come from. I think he is doing a great job, but surely by your rationale Link has a greater claim than Cheika.

One is coaching a team with 7 squad members (would have been 5 if injuries didn't occur the week of the selections) and yet they are in the top 6.

The other is coaching a team with 10 squad members (would have been 11 if injuries didn't occur the week of the selections) and they are out of the top 6.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)

So what? Everyone backs their own province and will plug them at so some stage. Let me edit that for you:

"If you read the various threads, there are very few Tahs players that have not been spruiked by one poster or another."

It goes both ways mate, as with the comment about coaching.

Link brought the reds back from the cellar and made 5th place in 2010 and then won the 2011 title. If thats not improving then I dont know what is. In White's third year as coach he will take the Brumbies to the finals. Just because he has performed the turn around over 3 years rather than 2 doesn't make him a better coach. In fact there have been complaints that he is excessively strict in his handling of the players lives outside of rugby.

The fact of the matter is that there is more to being a head coach than what they do on the field. Link, with the QRU of course, have completely turned the Reds culture and financial situation around. Players wanted to stay (genia, tapuai, digby etc.) despite big offers from the west and europe. Unfortunately I suspect that the induction of Graham has had an effect and we are seeing this in their performances and contracting as the year comes to an end.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Hang on,

First you quoted my post and said that:

So where did I say that?

In regards to Cheika, I am not ignoring where the Tahs have come from. I think he is doing a great job, but surely by your rationale Link has a greater claim than Cheika.

One is coaching a team with 7 squad members (would have been 5 if injuries didn't occur the week of the selections) and yet they are in the top 6.

The other is coaching a team with 10 squad members (would have been 11 if injuries didn't occur the week of the selections) and they are out of the top 6.
Possibly bad wording by me, I was referring to several Reds supporters not you directly.

You ignore totally the slow start the Tahs had whilst they were being "de programmed" from playing Foley ball.

In any event, I'm not saying he shouldn't get the job, just that it is not cut and dried that he should get it.He has lost substantial ground IMO this year for a few reasons.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
In White's third year as coach he will take the Brumbies to the finals. Just because he has performed the turn around over 3 years rather than 2 doesn't make him a better coach. .

Isn't this just his 2nd year as Brumbies coach?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Isn't this just his 2nd year as Brumbies coach?

Sorry, saw 2011 somewhere but I guess that would be right even if they signed him for the 2012 season. Even so, its hard to say White is improving on a yearly basis in comparison to Ewen when he is in the same position Mckenzie was in 2011.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sorry, saw 2011 somewhere but I guess that would be right even if they signed him for the 2012 season. Even so, its hard to say White is improving on a yearly basis in comparison to Ewen when he is in the same position Mckenzie was in 2011.
To be honest, coaching skills Jake have forgot, Ewen still have to learn. Not even worth his shadow when it come to coaching.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
To be honest, coaching skills Jake have forgot, Ewen still have to learn. Not even worth his shadow when it come to coaching.

Sorry mate but its not all about pure experience. If that was the case we'd have Rod Macqueen back at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.