• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Waratahs, 2011R10

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It was a blatant illegal obstruction,but there was no malice or intent to cause injury. Move on there is nothing more to be said or done.
Terrible bad luck for Mitchell, the Tahs & the Wobs.

A

allitsab

I find it hard to believe that tahs fans are defending waughs reset tactics when it didn't win them the game and the only reason they got so many opportunities was coopers poor kicking.

It's just typical tah's supporters attitude. The reds could win the thing this year, and the tah's fans (and Phil Waugh's) comments would all be along the lines of "any team could have done that" and "they're playing above their potential"... It's like they think they're entitled to just walk up and get given the rewards, without actually having to man up and get the job done...

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
okay people are saying blame the Reds for a bad scrum. Example of a good 5m scrum: Reds vs Bulls Last week, First scrum on the 5m line, no resets, set play and try in the corner. This is why you don't go for pushovers. The Waratahs don't win and wonder why? It's because they aren't playing rugby.

I want to do rant of the week all of a sudden...

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeh, the "gripping" scrums are totally unjustified if they did not achieve anything from them. We may as well have just had 8 a side rugby and told the backs to get fucked. Also, how arrogant were the NSW players after they thought they scored a try, which clearly was not conclusive, and walked back to half way ready to receive the kick off and Beale was lining up for goal. Laughable really, and looked a right set of idiots as they marched back for a scrum.

G

GC

The Force just domonstrated how turn excellent forward play into a victory. Maybe the Tahs could steal their coach.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I find it hard to believe that tahs fans are defending waughs reset tactics when it didn't win them the game and the only reason they got so many opportunities was coopers poor kicking.

I find it hard to believe that all the Reds fans are doing is complaining that the Tahs weren't 'playing rugby' because a there were some scrums. You won for fuck sake, leave the complaining to us.

Also, if the Wallabies don't win the World Cup and Mitchell is on the sidelines for it I am holding Higginbotham and the Reds and Qld personally responsible. We will place explosives along the border to be blown simultaneously and you'll all be cast off to drift in the Pacific until you hit that swirling garbage whirlpool thats out there, where you belong.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's just typical tah's supporters attitude. The reds could win the thing this year, and the tah's fans (and Phil Waugh's) comments would all be along the lines of "any team could have done that" and "they're playing above their potential"... It's like they think they're entitled to just walk up and get given the rewards, without actually having to man up and get the job done...

Hey, the Reds played shit tonight you must admit that.
Any team that was in any way competent would have beaten them.
You just got lucky and happened to be playing the Tahs tonight.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
A scrum is a platform for creating play. The Waratahs were choosing to scrum in order to piss all of Queensland off. For 20minutes. And for a rewarding 3 points. And a loss. They had no intention of moving the ball. The Reds deserve a nobel peace prize for putting that negative tactic into the trash can for good.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Yeah regardless of what anyone thinks about the scrums channel 10 9 and 7 and that AFL bloke from offsiders are going to be laughing there arse off at rugby, not popular in Australia, this is why rugby isn't working in AUS, rugby needs to sort out it's game. TBH that's what I find so annoying, it giving all the leaguies and journos something on this game. It leaves me deeply disapointed when it happens because it's cringeworthy to watch as you know that youll hear wally on 9 saying, "Last night the Reds scraped home in a scrappy affair, with 20 minutes of scrums" and then masked giggling. THat is why I am so pissed at NSW. I find it embarassing and depressing.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm a tad suprised qwerty hasn't contributed to this thread yet. qwerty, any thoughts?

Edit: Oops, you got in just before me, you cheeky lad!

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
A scrum is a platform for creating play. The Waratahs were choosing to scrum in order to piss all of Queensland off. For 20minutes. And for a rewarding 3 points. And a loss. They had no intention of moving the ball. The Reds deserve a nobel peace prize for putting that negative tactic into the trash can for good.

The intent was 7 points, not 3. And just to piss the home fans off. That it pissed you off is just a personal bonus. The scrum is an attacking set piece of play, wether by pushover or good platform. You can't foresee the circumstances, but he'd the scrum twisted the right way, or the ball presented better at the right time, or the reds dropped it andlost a prop/penalty try then it would have been a different story.

Refs defended it well, but it was still the right tactic for the tahs at the time. Be happy you came out with a win

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
You are 100% right. It is such a shame that such a big crowd saw the game turn into very negative rugby after the Reds were playing so positively.

I also think those who were not at the game, should not be saying how great the scrums are, get over it. It was a painful then thank fuck, a rewarding 20minutes.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
How is playing to your strenght (the scrum) 'not in the spirit of the game'? What a load off bullshit. The Reds INSISTED on spinning the ball to their fast backs and thus exploiting a Waratah weakness. That is terrible sportsmanship and not in the spirit either.

It was testament to strong Reds defence that NSW couldn't score. I think going for scrums was the right tactic, although I think we persisted a little too much with it. That is perfectly within the spirit of the game, and if Queenslanders disagree then they will have a tough time up against a big Sharks or Stormers pack come finals time.

But a really gutsy effort by the Reds, showed real character. The Tahs just looked flat for long periods.

That said on the whole it was a disastrous night for Australian rugby. They say you need at least 5 'World XV' players in your team before you can even think about winning a RWC. We just lost one tonight.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If the Tahs had taken 3 points at the beginning of the 20 minutes the Reds would have hoofed it down field from the Kick off and it would have been a completely different game. You can't say that they would have got plenty of chances from penalties because by taking the penalty you take your foot of the oppositions throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom