• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Waratahs - 29th April RD 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

Naiyaravoro has been selected as a battering ram. Lets just hope that someone this week has had a quiet word with the backs about releasing him to do his job. Scored two tries last week and I reckon that's all the touches he got. People put shit on him for his limitations but he has some skills that are Lomu-like. But we'd rather give Horwitz a run with the ball instead of making him the dummy runner. Shits me to tears!

I think rope-a-dope would be good for the under-8's. The Tahs are adults and would be better treated as such. A monumental Cheika spray was what's needed, not schoolboy games.

I think there needs to be some onus on Naiyavoro to lift his work rate and present himself as an inside option to Foley or even as the lead podrunner for the halfback, currently he's not doing this.
I'm going to have to bring up his limitations- but his defensive reads and rugby nous are just not up to this level. Why is there such hesitation to bring in Harry Jones for example?

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Don't know whether you're watching the same games as I do Cyclopath. I'd have Lucas back behind my beloved Reds in a blink. He has the best passing game of all them, followed by Powell. Jake has the best running game, honed in the NRC. Sadly this is not NRC, much tighter and more pressure

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Don't know whether you're watching the same games as I do Cyclopath. I'd have Lucas back behind my beloved Reds in a blink. He has the best passing game of all them, followed by Powell. Jake has the best running game, honed in the NRC. Sadly this is not NRC, much tighter and more pressure

Didn't say Lucas had a bad pass, it was the hesitation at times I don't like. He passes it fine, but that's only part of the equation. Static ball does not help the Tahs at all. Of course this all looks worse with a pack that lacks dynamism and accuracy. My ideal would be Gordon's running and kicking game, with Phipps' fitness and energy and fast release, with Lucas' pass. As I said, they all have some issues so it is a compromise.
I'd have Lucas over Frisby too, though! ;)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I think there needs to be some onus on Naiyavoro to lift his work rate and present himself as an inside option to Foley or even as the lead podrunner for the halfback, currently he's not doing this.

Surely that's his coaches descision?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

21mmstuds

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't think he is up to it yet on the defensive end either.

Hopefully he gets a chance soon. He's got some great skills and pace and is definitely improving.

Gibson had enough faith to put him on the bench, but then didn't use him WTFX2. Fresh legs, tiring defence BlaBla

Bobas

Darby Loudon (17)
I actually think this is going to be a really good game.

Attachments

• Roses are (2).jpg
    Roses are (2).jpg
    705.6 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: TSR

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm going to have to bring up his limitations- but his defensive reads and rugby nous are just not up to this level. Why is there such hesitation to bring in Harry Jones for example?
I have a suspicion that Taqele is only devastating when running close to the sideline, much like Lomu was. When he comes infield he's easier to stop, he likes being able to get slightly outside the defender and using his bulk to knock them off tackles

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I have a suspicion that Taqele is only devastating when running close to the sideline, much like Lomu was. When he comes infield he's easier to stop, he likes being able to get slightly outside the defender and using his bulk to knock them off tackles

This weekend big T only has to run hard off the halfback straight at Cooper and there'll be a huge hole made. IMO the reason that big T is not running in the 9/10 or 10/12 channel is that Gibson doesn't want him to.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
This weekend big T only has to run hard off the halfback straight at Cooper and there'll be a huge hole made. IMO the reason that big T is not running in the 9/10 or 10/12 channel is that Gibson doesn't want him to.
He might also need to defend...

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
cant run without a head, hopefully Cooper keeps the contact low.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

But why would that be? Seems to me it would be another very threatening option for their backline to put defences under pressure.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Not only a huge game for both teams but also both HC's.

Stiles in his first year probably doesn't have as much pressure as Gibson.

With performances of his team to date, particularly last week, another humbling will make Gibson extremely nervous about his coaching future

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Big T has had better lucky with a bit of steamand bulldozing the wing....but I don't think he can with the Reds wings. Perese is a bulldog and Nabuli is a large human. Fast steppers have been making the reds outside channels pay, with nabuli and kerevi a bit slow and not great chat between them. Think it'll be the classic, 'give the ball to izzy'

T

TOCC

Tahs have won this game at the bank, although let's see if the extra $millions they have in their pockets from ARU top-ups slows them down on the field

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Nabuli is a large human. Fast steppers have been making the reds outside channels pay, with nabuli and kerevi a bit slow and not great chat between them. Think it'll be the classic, 'give the ball to izzy'
Yep.

If the Tahs have any sense at all, nearly all of their attack will be directed straight at wherever Kerevi is. He's been a terrible tackler this year and makes the defenders on either side of him worse too.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs have won this game at the bank, although let's see if the extra $millions they have in their pockets from ARU top-ups slows them down on the field

What do you reckon? Named team only
Moore, Simmons, QC (Quade Cooper), Kerevi, Hunt (maybe Higgers?)

v

Kepu, Mumm, Hooper, Phipps, Foley, Skelton, Folau (maybe Horne?)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The turf should be immaculate with the amount of money the Reds have spent on 'ground hire fees'..........

Status
Not open for further replies.