• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i think you will find that they can go back two plays in general play, there was only one after the penalty was awarded against McMahon for dragging O'donoghue off Higgenbotham.
for foul play they can intervene at any time

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
i think you will find that they can go back two plays in general play, there was only one after the penalty was awarded against McMahon for dragging O'donoghue off Higgenbotham.
for foul play they can intervene at any time

Halftime?
I'm not sure how much I care about the actual incident out of which my frustration has arisen: it doesn't look that clear to me and I think that was Walsh's view. He could have been cited.
Its very messy.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree it's messy but important. In the earlier game do you think deysal should have been carded for the kick ? Not seen at the time by the ref
Earlier in the year Rebs v Clan, dangerous tackle on Stirzaker, play on call, no referral from either AR or TMO so player stays on. Cited post game and gets a few weeks holiday. But if he had been sent off because the TMO or the AR had the balls to refer it to the ref, the highlanders would have had to ply with 14 for 75 mins and 13 for 10. May well have changed the outcome.
I am not suggesting that anything other than dangerous or foul play be dealt with in this way.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree it's messy but important. In the earlier game do you think deysal should have been carded for the kick ? Not seen at the time by the ref
Earlier in the year Rebs v Clan, dangerous tackle on Stirzaker, play on call, no referral from either AR or TMO so player stays on. Cited post game and gets a few weeks holiday. But if he had been sent off because the TMO or the AR had the balls to refer it to the ref, the highlanders would have had to ply with 14 for 75 mins and 13 for 10. May well have changed the outcome.
I am not suggesting that anything other than dangerous or foul play be dealt with in this way.
All valid points.

Its not so much about what punishment the offence deserves if detected at or shortly after its committed or even a comparison with the punishment given when cited. I'm not condoning foul or dangerous play.
I haven't seen the kick/stomp yet.
The analogy that occurs to me from last night is formula 1: they have the champagne spraying and then weeks or months down the track the result is overturned or confirmed and it detracts from the credibility of the sport - I suspect the sponsors get the pics of the champagne spraying and use them even if the driver is subsequently DSQd.
The application of the rugby laws already has a credibility issue with the general public.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep. The various judiciaries come in for a fair bit of adverse comment from time to time, but most of the judiciary reports I have read from google seem to be fairly fair and above board from a legal (and rules of evidence) procedural perspective.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Will Ed O'dungbrain go down in history as the first Australian professional rugby player found guilty of eye gouging? Adam Byrnes avoided that ignominy by appealing his ban and having it overturned.

He deserves at least 6 weeks off for the shear fucking stupidity of putting his fingers anywhere near Higgers eyes. Eyes are sacred.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
But didn't Adam Byrnes get a 10 weeks suspension for calling Tom Carter a 'liar'?

How the hell can you get suspended for that????

A medal on the other hand...

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
But didn't Adam Byrnes get a 10 weeks suspension for calling Tom Carter a 'liar'?

How the hell can you get suspended for that????

If he did get suspended for calling Tom a liar, Horwill will be lucky to play before the 15 RWC for his outburst after the game.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
All valid points.

Its not so much about what punishment the offence deserves if detected at or shortly after its committed or even a comparison with the punishment given when cited. I'm not condoning foul or dangerous play.
The analogy that occurs to me from last night is formula 1: they have the champagne spraying and then weeks or months down the track the result is overturned or confirmed and it detracts from the credibility of the sport - I suspect the sponsors get the pics of the champagne spraying and use them even if the driver is subsequently DSQd.
The application of the rugby laws already has a credibility issue with the general public.
well then you have to go back to no technology and law no. one, the referee is the sole arbiter of fact, and everyone just lives with the 50/50, bad and plainly outrageous decisions as we did before. i am happy with that but i suspect not many will be.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
All valid points.

The funny thing is IS that this is just an application of the existing laws with an extension allowing for the technology.

Years ago (in the 90s) I saw a length of the field try called back on the report of the Touch Judge, IN A TEST MATCH, against a PI team from my very vague memory. The ref had called play on and awarded the try. The TJ marked the sport of the offence and when he caught up to the ref, after the try was awarded. It was duly cancelled and a penalty awarded at the site of the offence.

No difference to what happened here, except they all had the benefit of video replay which clearly shows Ed O scrunching his across the face of a prone player he had pinned. You do yourself no credit defending that or criticising a process that has always been there.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Will Ed O'dungbrain go down in history as the first Australian professional rugby player found guilty of eye gouging? Adam Byrnes avoided that ignominy by appealing his ban and having it overturned.

He deserves at least 6 weeks off for the shear fucking stupidity of putting his fingers anywhere near Higgers eyes. Eyes are sacred.

In terms of standardised guidance for Illegal and/or Foul Play and Misconduct, IRB Regulation 17 applies, and is used by nearly all judiciaries to assist to determine sanctions for citings.

(extract below)

Judiciary Entry Point Based on Scale of Seriousness of the Player’s conduct, which constitutes the offending.

Law No 10.4(k) Contact with Eyes or the Eye Area
Lower End 12 weeks, Mid Range 18 weeks, Top End 24+ weeks, Maximum Sanction 156 weeks

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The funny thing is IS that this is just an application of the existing laws with an extension allowing for the technology.

Years ago (in the 90s) I saw a length of the field try called back on the report of the Touch Judge, IN A TEST MATCH, against a PI team from my very vague memory. The ref had called play on and awarded the try. The TJ marked the sport of the offence and when he caught up to the ref, after the try was awarded. It was duly cancelled and a penalty awarded at the site of the offence.

No difference to what happened here, except they all had the benefit of video replay which clearly shows Ed O scrunching his across the face of a prone player he had pinned. You do yourself no credit defending that or criticising a process that has always been there.
That is or was a major difference from league: they could not pull the try once awarded.
I think what I take to be Walsh's refusal to be involved is what is unseemly. (refusal in that he was saying you better tell me what you can see- based on Jarse's post above there was clearly visible contact with the eye area at least)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This thread is for discussing refereeing decisions and their implications. It's not for stupid made up names for player and officials or mind reading player intentions. You are allowed plenty of latitude for that in match threads.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I'd like them to go back to Richard Loe in
Even after they've stopped the game for the general buffo - he's awarded the penalty for it etc etc.
There'd never be any end to it.
Much as I hate to suggest anything from the other code they need a match review committee style arrangement rather than being able to over call and reverse already penalties on the day.
What if there'd been a kick for goal form Walsh's decision - goes over and then boofhead says I'd like to have another look at it.
How far back can they go?
Last week?
I'd like them to go back as far as Richard Loe's effort in Brisbane.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Of the two red card incidents this weekend which one do people think was handled better? I thought the incident in the Sharks game was handled well but it was poorly done in the Reds game.
In the Reds game there was wrestling going on behind play which Walsh did not see, he then ruled on what he did see instead of referring to the TMO. We see the ref use the TMO to check for knock-ons but when it is a fairly important incident they do not. I think they need to work out a better way of doing things. Ass Refs are supposed to monitor the off the ball play. In this case the solution would have been for the Ass Ref to say to Walsh, check the video and see what happened.