• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Walsh seems to often just call it as he sees it and resists the use of the TMO where possible. Or at least it appears that way to me. I really like that and there should be more of it.
Just get on with the game and if there's crap that happens off the ball that is missed well cite the players after and nail them then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Walsh actually stayed where the wrestling was and didn't follow play. So he did get a good view of it.
What is the recognised procedure for refs in this situation? Should they follow the play or stay with the skirmish? Is there an official policy?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I noticed that too. He was alternating between watching the fracas and the play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
IMO - a bloke who gets gouged normally is fucking filthy, finger pointing to the wound/eyes, making accusations to the Ref. Higgers didn't do that. Maybe the Refereee should actually ask the "victim" IF he was gouged and that together with the TMO and his own opinion should be taken into account when deciding the penalty. I think very very few players would make an allegation of eye gouging if it didn't actually happen.

However, it looked bad on TV - if he did the crime then severe penalty to be imposed. If he didn't then it was a disgraceful call by the TMO

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I honestly don't really think it was a gouge, still not a disgraceful call or anything by TMO, you can't give facials like that, because if it allowed the next step will be"I was only giving a facial and accidently poked him eye" will come out, you have to keep hands clear of face!!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A player should NEVER allow his fingers to make contact with an opponent's eyes, unless accidently. FWIW, Scrubber, I also don't think EOD gouged Higger's eyes as there was no raking movement, but the photos clearly show contact between fingers and eyes. EOD's going to go for a row here.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
The procedure is for the ref to follow play and the Ass Refs to handle the behind the play stuff. If Walsh was monitoring the wrestling he should have blown his whistle to stop play.
IMO - a bloke who gets gouged normally is fucking filthy, finger pointing to the wound/eyes, making accusations to the Ref.
Stan, I agree with you on that. He did not seem at all worried about it, but O'D is going to have a hard time explaining the footage to the judiciary.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
These sort of photos are going to get you into a lot of trouble.

69CF2B14-BB4D-9E96-9EF132FE3BC2A8DE.jpg

You could see Higgers closing his eyes tighter when O'Donoghue's fingers were pushing around his eye.

I imagine it will be a low end gouging charge but this is still not going to end well for Ed O'Donoghue. At almost 32 years of age, that could easily be the end of his career. I'll be surprised if he gets a suspension of less than 10 weeks.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This thread is for discussing refereeing decisions and their implications. It's not for stupid made up names for player and officials or mind reading player intentions. You are allowed plenty of latitude for that in match threads.

Is this directed at my post?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I honestly don't really think it was a gouge, still not a disgraceful call or anything by TMO, you can't give facials like that, because if it allowed the next step will be"I was only giving a facial and accidently poked him eye" will come out, you have to keep hands clear of face!!

This is probably the fairest summary of this whole debacle.

If I was a ref I'd probably try to ignore it but once a TMO or captain brings it up it can't go unpunished.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also the irony of the situation is that if McMahon wasn't penalised the TMO wouldn't have seen the incident since the replay of the scuffle only came up because McMahon's penalty.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Walsh actually stayed where the wrestling was and didn't follow play. So he did get a good view of it.
What is the recognised procedure for refs in this situation? Should they follow the play or stay with the skirmish? Is there an official policy?

Blow his whistle, stop the play and restore order I would have thought.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In this case the solution would have been for the Ass Ref to say to Walsh, check the video and see what happened.

IIRC Higgers attempted to speak to Walsh after the penalty but was waved away. The whole initial part of the process was quite poorly handled by Walsh. One player is pinned to the ground by an opponent and there's obviously something going on and he didn't stop play until a Rebels player tried to pull EOD off. Therein lies the genesis of the controversy.