• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Jonathan Kaplan has floated the concept of a Captains Challenge, allowing a Team Captain to request a ruling from the TMO.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ower-says-former-test-referee-jonathan-kaplan

It works in Cricket and Tennis. Could it work in rugby?
3 issues at least.

Half the laws in the book include an intent provision, so we would just be swapping the refs opinion for the TMOs opinion and the TMO doesn't always have a better view.

Secondly, if we allow challenges what happens when a captains asks for a look at somone in the ruck with shoulders below hips or some equally technical but none the less illegal action that's currently managed in every ruck by the refs.

Thirdly, scrum penalty challenges will be hilarious.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I personally wish Kaplan would just shut the f*** up. He has become an expert at noticing things that refs get wrong, and he has all these stupid ideas!!

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Problem with a challenge is, it wouldn't have helped Scotland. We'll see the teams using it up before 70 minutes, like they do in cricket, with 50/50 decisions.

As said above though, Scotland also benefited from decisions in the match. The spotlight is only on it because it was the last lead change, right before the final whistle.

And the fact that Joubert ran off the field like a guilty fox. But I'm pretty sure he was told (muted for us) that he better GTFO of there because he may have been wrong. I'm sure he wouldn't have run off like that if he was told that he was 100% correct.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
I had a bad ref in 3rd XV school rugby once. Absolutelty shocking he was. Can I get World Rugby to review that game and publicly humiliate the referee involved? Can we make sure that no one will ever want to be a referee by throwing them under the bus everytime they get something wrong?

LOL. Submit the video evidence and they could have a look I'm sure. ;)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
From ALL angles. And don't forget the overhead shot.

Kaplan: Jonathan, you might like to go back and review some of your decisions in Tahs matches you whistled and explain why the results were 65-2.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you instituted a system where the TMO reviewed all important decisions in the last 10 minutes then the Wallabies would have surely ended up with a penalty on the sequence of scrums that ended up with a Scottish free kick.

The first one the Scottish LHP stood up under pressure and the second he dropped his bind and collapsed.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I like the concept of Kaplan's Kaptain's Khallenge but think it would end up being cynically used to rob dominant teams of momentum, and allow teams to catch their breath and regain their composure while the TMO (assisted by Joel Jutge and John Jeffrey) reviewed all 47 camera angles in ultra slo-mo frame by frame.

There are a lot less "moving parts" in Cricket and Tennis.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
I like the concept of Kaplan's Kaptain's Khallenge but think it would end up being cynically used to rob dominant teams of momentum, and allow teams to catch their breath and regain their composure while the TMO (assisted by Joel Jutge and John Jeffrey) reviewed all 47 camera angles in ultra slo-mo frame by frame.

There are a lot less "moving parts" in Cricket and Tennis.
This, it will never work in a million years.

And how do you think it will affect the referee on the instance? Being challenged say a few times in the first half and being corrected every time, surely it wont work as a confidence boost and eventually referees start to go upstairs all the time to avoid being wrong.

That being said, how many international games have actually been decided by the ref? We can surely count them with one hand, so we are not actually facing a problem here. Usually its _the fans_ going behind a bad call when their team was shit on the day, or the opposition just plain better.

At the end of the day, luck and human factor will always be a part as long as there is 1 human being left on the field and a loosing team will always find the biggest reason for the loss from the mirror.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Aboloshing the gate isn't so radical. The gate and the ability of the tackler only to come from any direction only came in about 10-15 years ago (after RWC 2003?). Prior to that players could approach the tackle from any direction as it was considered general play and had no offside lines.

I like the idea of a 1 metre offside line at rucks and mauls. Not so sure about introducing another definition "breakdown", which seems another opportunity for laws to be interpreted and penalties to follow.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Not sure I like the 1m line behind the last feet, though I guess the idea is to remove loiterers at the breakdown and nake the situation similar to line-outs - you're in the backline or in the T/R/M. Until someone works out thay all you need do is 'bind' to the side of the breakdown (like a breakaway), and suddenly you can defend the fringes in front of the gain line.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Looks like they are trying clarify the "grey areas" of refereeing.
1 metre behind the last feet will be nice and tidy;
Entry is always subjective depending on where the whistle-blower is standing. My only concern is that making the tackler retire before having a crack will take a big element of competition out of the "breakdown" and competition at every phase has always been sacrosanct in union and is what really differentiates the game from league.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Not decision related, but just wanted to put a mention out there for Will Houston. Watched him referee the Brumbies v Horrortahs in Wagga last weekend and watched the live feed back again during the week. He's a great find for the ARU and should scale the heights of world rugby. His competition with Angus Gardner will be good to see how these guys fair.