• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Not decision related, but just wanted to put a mention out there for Will Houston. Watched him referee the Brumbies v Horrortahs in Wagga last weekend and watched the live feed back again during the week. He's a great find for the ARU and should scale the heights of world rugby. His competition with Angus Gardner will be good to see how these guys fair.

He goes alright doesn't he, is a very calming influence on a game and seems to enjoy being a part of it. Also very giving with "lower level" referees and very understanding of new RCs.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
He goes alright doesn't he, is a very calming influence on a game and seems to enjoy being a part of it. Also very giving with "lower level" referees and very understanding of new RCs.

He had a very positive presence on the field during that game. I thought it was a big call to select him for Under 20's World Cup Final without Super Rugby experience, but he's obviously got it.

It's also positive to see two up and coming guys in Will Houston and Angus Gardner coming through at the same time. They'll push each other which is always a good thing.

Aren't all refs gentle with the referee coach? :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How is it that Referees are able to make instantaneous decisions for lineout not straight and prop indescretions at scrum time yet despite being well placed, their eyesight is frequently not good enough to adjudicate on most tries?

Scrum penalties can have a major impact on the game, and it would be rather easy and quite quick to use video technology to establish which front row deserved to be penalised.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some poor refereeing displays again this week, but not the howlers we saw last week (at least in those games I saw).

Mike Fraser I thought was the pick for the worst again this week. Does he even know what a knock on is. Doesn't adjudicate them unless it seems the Assistant Ref brings one to his attention.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I thought this thread was to discuss individual refereeing decisions and to ask for clarifications from our refereeing forum members. Not a place to have a bitch about refereeing in general or a referee in particular which of course is against our forum rules.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Noted, and apologies offered.

OK, then will someone explain to me how Michael Hooper was not off side when he scooped up the ball at the back of the Reds' ruck in the lead up to Izzy's second try? To my eyes, while the ball was out, Hooper had never retired behind the back feet of the ruck on the Tahs' side and was consequently off side. Similar issue in the game against the Brumbies when Tom Robertson scored his late try.

That looked like a specific howler to me.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What happened to the new law interpretation on the offside line at the ruck. The much vaunted Highlanders line speed is given a big leg up given they are level with the ruck not behind the last feet, 1 metre makes a big difference.

Along with the straight feed in the scrum the first week attention to the new interpretation seems to have faded away.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Noted, and apologies offered.

OK, then will someone explain to me how Michael Hooper was not off side when he scooped up the ball at the back of the Reds' ruck in the lead up to Izzy's second try? To my eyes, while the ball was out, Hooper had never retired behind the back feet of the ruck on the Tahs' side and was consequently off side. Similar issue in the game against the Brumbies when Tom Robertson scored his late try.

That looked like a specific howler to me.
5442130967789568.png

Hooper definitely started onside. He may have come through too quickly but ref thought the ball was out here I guess.

Hard to tell with the Robertson one due to the camera angles, but it could have been fine as long as the ball was lost before the ball career went to ground - which it may have done. Then not a tackle, not a ruck and RObertson can do what he wants.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
5442130967789568.png

Hooper definitely started onside. He may have come through too quickly but ref thought the ball was out here I guess.

Hard to tell with the Robertson one due to the camera angles, but it could have been fine as long as the ball was lost before the ball career went to ground - which it may have done. Then not a tackle, not a ruck and RObertson can do what he wants.

The ball isn't out until the half back has it in his hands (if there is a half back. Note that Frisby again isn't even in the picture). In any case, in the picture, it is still between the feet of the last player in the ruck - so clearly not out.

There are two other Reds' players in shot who could have acted as half back, so I would again say that imo Hooper was offside when he came through to pick up the ball.

A howler that had an immense influence on the outcome of the game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What happened to the new law interpretation on the offside line at the ruck. The much vaunted Highlanders line speed is given a big leg up given they are level with the ruck not behind the last feet, 1 metre makes a big difference.

Along with the straight feed in the scrum the first week attention to the new interpretation seems to have faded away.

IIRC, the law change re 1m behing the ruck was to be a trial in the Mitre 10 cup, not yet introduced to Super Rugby. However, the change in interpretation that every bit of the player had to be behind the last feet is in and to my knowledge has been officiated only once against the Brumbies in the game against the Stormers when Matty To'omua (I think) was judged to have his hands on the ground in front of the last feet in a ruck on the tryline. I am sure in my own mind that that will be the only instance all year where this particular interpretation is enforced.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
IIRC, the law change re 1m behing the ruck was to be a trial in the Mitre 10 cup, not yet introduced to Super Rugby. However, the change in interpretation that every bit of the player had to be behind the last feet is in and to my knowledge has been officiated only once against the Brumbies in the game against the Stormers when Matty To'omua (I think) was judged to have his hands on the ground in front of the last feet in a ruck on the tryline. I am sure in my own mind that that will be the only instance all year where this particular interpretation is enforced.

It was enforced at lot in the first game of the season which IIRC was the Canes v the Blues? It makes no material difference, to the example I posed though, the great defence of the Highlanders is very well assisted by the lack of enforcement of this.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Roll that shot forward and the ball is still in and Hooper is well off side.
9e7f9aa38a27129428f1f717de617749.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Similar one at the start of this great try from the Chiefs against the Force

My question on this one

Does this apply
16.4(e) A player must not fall on or over the ball as it is coming out of a ruck.

And if not, does this apply
Law 14 Ball on the ground - no tackle

The Game is to be played by players who are on their feet. A player must not make the ball unplayable by falling down.
Unplayable means that the ball is not immediately available to either team so that play may continue.
A player who makes the ball unplayable, or who obstructs the opposing team by falling down, is negating the purpose and Spirit of the Game and must be penalised.