• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^Not quite Lindommer.

The ball is touch in goal if it is touching the corner post and the ground at the same time.

If the ball or a player carrying the ball touches a flag or a flag (corner) post at the intersection of the touch-in-goal lines and the goal lines or at the intersection of the touch-in-goal lines and the dead ball lines without otherwise being in touch or touch-in-goal the ball is not out of play unless it is first grounded against a flag post.

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=22.12

The corner posts are no longer considered to be touch-in-goal except when the ball is grounded against the post.

http://www.rugby-stuttgart.de/files/SRC-Download/SRC-IRB_ELV_guide.pdf

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
by a strict reading of the law its no try, but i suspect that simultaneous grounding at the intersection of try line, post and touch will always be given a try.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
by a strict reading of the law its no try, but i suspect that simultaneous grounding at the intersection of try line, post and touch will always be given a try.

I can understand the ref making decisions that way, but it gets really interesting when the TMO does as well.

It's one of the reasons I don't think we will ever have a successful challenge system in rugby. Will the challenge review assessor be able to ignore laws like that?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i think that it should be a try. interestingly if he had grounded the ball beyond the corner post at the intersection of touch in goal line and in goal area, with just a fraction of the ball on the chalk, then it almost certainly woudn't have been awarded.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
If a player is kicking towards the sideline and the ball hits the sideline the same way it did here, it's considered out so I think it's out. Pretty simple.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

5th minute game time - England RC
17:30 minute game time - Arg penalised

Refs had the cards out plenty this weekend. Interesting one in the Eng v Arg match, with one "tackle" getting a red card, and the other just a penalty.

Outcome based descisions

Challenging players in the air - Law 10.4(i)
Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on
Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down
Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side
Red card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player lands on his head, neck or shoulder

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
75th minute game time above.

Yep he's gone for a long time! Will be interesting to see how they handle the suspension given his off season started yesterday. Do trial matches count?

First glace, I thought his foot was being held and tripped. Second angle his looking down and knows what his doing. Trial matches don't count as far as I know. His suspension will carry into the Super Rugby season.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

5th minute game time - England RC
17:30 minute game time - Arg penalised

Refs had the cards out plenty this weekend. Interesting one in the Eng v Arg match, with one "tackle" getting a red card, and the other just a penalty.

Outcome based descisions

The right decisions, unfortunately for Daly the player came down in a nasty way. Can see it was a accident, in this case I don't think he should receive a suspension as the Red was a big enough penalty. But you never know with World Rugby what will happen.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The right decisions, unfortunately for Daly the player came down in a nasty way. Can see it was a accident, in this case I don't think he should receive a suspension as the Red was a big enough penalty. But you never know with World Rugby what will happen.

Thought the Argentine decision was the much more interesting one. He actually was reckless with his tackle, rather than just dumb like Daly getting himself under the jumper.

Yet because the catcher happened to fall differently, the penalty was much worse

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Dubai 7's Saf-Sco

Saffer tackles the ball carrier and they both go to the ground, the Scot then offloads the ball and the initial tackler then tackles that second ball carrier while he is lying on jos back and gets penalized for "tackling on the ground"(not sure if the ref actually said taht)

Is that an actual law? No tackling while lying down?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Dubai 7's Saf-Sco

Saffer tackles the ball carrier and they both go to the ground, the Scot then offloads the ball and the initial tackler then tackles that second ball carrier while he is lying on jos back and gets penalized for "tackling on the ground"(not sure if the ref actually said taht)

Is that an actual law? No tackling while lying down?
15.6 (i) After a tackle, any player on the ground must not tackle an opponent or try to tackle an opponent.