• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'd have CJ any day of the week to referee a match.
I bet you would.

1445211164758.jpg

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
My view is that #3 Canada is in contact with her after the ball has been released and she's on her feet, therefor a ruck is formed and she's not entitled to pick it up.
25dfc57a904f5662e9b170381f9c4ad2.jpg

Unless the ref decided she was never held in the tackle....But then is it a knock-on?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Could it also be called for "sealing" in that although she put the ball down she never moved from over the ball to allow the defending players to play the ball. It appears she had no intent of allowing the ball to be played at fairly by an opposition player.

IMHO its another one of the rule crossovers that need clarification. If number 3 touches her it could be argued it was a tackle on the ground or no release. But she need to make contact with her to form the ruck. Did Woodman actually get back to her feet - what is getting back to your feet? Where is the on/ offside line? Did 10 black interfere and tackle (impede) in the second part?

It begs the question if she allowed to be over the ball as she gets to her feet (as she does) what prevents players from being on all fours over the ball to protect it and claim they are trying to either move away or get up?

This is why in AFL they use this word in the rules for easier interpretations

possession

1. the state of having, owning, or controlling something.
"she had taken possession of the sofa"
synonyms ownership, proprietorship, control, hands, keeping, care, custody, charge, hold, title,

So, if we clarify the rule for example:

A tackled player must release relinquish possession of the ball in a manner that enables the ball to be fairly contested.

Referee interpretation: when the tackled player relinquished possession of ball did it create circumstances that allowed for a fair contest?

Woodman 1.PNG

Woodman 2.PNG

Woodman 3.PNG

Woodman 4.PNG

Woodman 5.PNG

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^has to be a ruck. A soon as she got to her feet she created a ruck as at least one if not both of the red players were in physical contact with her.

16.1 Forming a ruck

(b) How can a ruck form. Players are on their feet. At least one player must be in physical contact with an opponent. The ball must be on the ground. If the ball is off the ground for any reason, the ruck is not formed.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
just wait until the way the high tackle is adjudicated ,if the 7's interpretations are anything to go on.
Just duck your head or body at the appropriate time- and a penalty will be yours.
I sense there will be a quite a few frustrated fans this season

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Super Rugby referees announced:

Federico Anselmi (Argentina)
Nic Berry (Australia)
Nick Briant (New Zealand)
Mike Fraser (New Zealand)
Angus Gardner (Australia)
Rohan Hoffmann (Australia)
Will Houston (Australia)
Quinton Immelman (South Africa)
Glen Jackson (New Zealand)
Shuhei Kubo (Japan)
Jamie Nutbrown (New Zealand)
Ben O’Keeffe (New Zealand)
Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Brendon Pickerill (New Zealand)
Rasta Rasivhenge (South Africa)
Egon Seconds (South Africa)
Marius van der Westhuizen (South Africa)
Jaco van Heerden (South Africa)
Paul Williams (New Zealand)

No Stuart Berry this year..........

partying.gif

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
just wait until the way the high tackle is adjudicated ,if the 7's interpretations are anything to go on.
Just duck your head or body at the appropriate time- and a penalty will be yours.
I sense there will be a quite a few frustrated fans this season

It is going to be a complete shitfest, I feel. Sadly. The officiating at the Sevens was at times farcical (and I'm not blaming the refs, whose hands are tied).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You realise the point of the thread, I'm guessing?

Yep Cyclo, I do understand the point of the ref, the same as I usually understand tongue in cheek replies ;)
But I also understood the question to which I replied which was
"was it a try or not"