• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

S

Show-n-go

Phil Kearns is such an idiot..listening to him defend Hodge's high, no arms hit on Yato by saying that Hodge came off worse is just disgusting.

Yato failed his HIA and was out for the rest of the game with possible concussion and Hode played on and scored a try..FML

Should have been a yellow minimum, red if at all consistent with recent rulings.

1) Still very fucking ambiguous whether he was in the wrong at all

2) if at all consistent with recent rulings he’d be let off with nothing as the closest recent examples that could relate are all Owen Farrell shiz

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
1) Still very fucking ambiguous whether he was in the wrong at all

2) if at all consistent with recent rulings he’d be let off with nothing as the closest recent examples that could relate are all Owen Farrell shiz

Not ambiguous at all.....Hodge hit him high in the head with no arms....just like Scott Barrett more recently did Hooper....
Red Card

S

Show-n-go

7C1577D8-8B3C-4D61-A4D7-42CB4C212E14.png

Attachments

• D6CB4D5F-0C9D-4A58-9FE7-E7F3B8435124.png
    D6CB4D5F-0C9D-4A58-9FE7-E7F3B8435124.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
S

Show-n-go

I’m really bloody iffy on where the should charge is there, looking at all the replays and those stills I’m still not even sure it was a shoulder that connected with the Fijians head

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't have any problem with Hodge getting banned because I'd rather see DHP start, but... it sets a pretty unclear precedent. Back in the game in Perth, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) got taken high in the act of scoring a try. No action taken. Mitigating circumstances? I guess he was moving downward to place the ball, but that was predictable. Are those going to start getting called? Because a heck of a lot of high covering tackles don't.

I reckon there is a difference between attacking the head (Barrett) and clumsy bad luck (how I see Hodge).

But fuck me doesn't Phil Kearns do a good job of making it hard to be a Hodge sympathiser.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I’m really bloody iffy on where the should charge is there, looking at all the replays and those stills I’m still not even sure it was a shoulder that connected with the Fijians head

https://www.therugbyruckus.com/2019/09/23/the-hodge-tackle/

This is Morgan Turinui's take on the tackle, and I tend to agree - it's not a shoulder charge - he attempted a legal tackle, lost the contact. HE was high and made contact with head - should have been yellow only.

S

Show-n-go

i agree it was probably high but it's one of those bullshit ones where the fijian player has changed his body height (can clearly see his back arched over) and at that speed Hodge just didnt have time to adjust

yellow at absolute most although im worried Hodge will face trial by media

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

The 2nd and 3rd stills easily show where shoulder made contact to the head - and also show no arms. When you see the visible impact on the video and the player then fails the HIA, trying to argue that there was no contact to the head. And arguing that Hodge got it worse than Yato like Kearns did is just despicable really. Yato was MEDICALLY judge to have got the worst of that collusion.

The big difference between Barrett and Hodge is that Hodge hit a player who is completely upright and still got his head while Barrett hit a player who was bent over and whose head was a lot lower.

I'm not defending Barrett at all but he got a red card and a suspension. Hodge dodged any on-field penalty so he got lucky.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
https://www.therugbyruckus.com/2019/09/23/the-hodge-tackle/

This is Morgan Turinui's take on the tackle, and I tend to agree - it's not a shoulder charge - he attempted a legal tackle, lost the contact. HE was high and made contact with head - should have been yellow only.

What you attempt to do and what you actually do are obviously two different things. It matters little what Hodge attempted to do, what he actually did was hit another player in the head which saw him miss the rest of the game with a possible concussion.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
i agree it was probably high but it's one of those bullshit ones where the fijian player has changed his body height (can clearly see his back arched over) and at that speed Hodge just didnt have time to adjust

Yato hasn't gone close to a "sudden drop in height" as considered in the mitigating factors. He has simply braced for contact which is accepted as part of a tackle. Hodge can't rely on that as lessening his high tackle.

S

Show-n-go

bruva you and i are looking at different pics thats all i can say....jesus christ

im not arguing theres no contact with the head (Im just saying the footage makes it kinda hard to see) and definitely did't use the Hodge got it worse than Yato argument, like didn't even slightly hint it

No the main difference was Barrett was being a thug, saw a player on the ground cocked his elbow and drove it into someones head

S

Show-n-go

Yato hasn't gone close to a "sudden drop in height" as considered in the mitigating factors. He has simply braced for contact which is accepted as part of a tackle. Hodge can't rely on that as lessening his high tackle.

don't disagree

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Actually, in sanctioning it's nearly entirely all that matters.

What matters is what you actually did and previous record - intent, not so much. Barrett's sanction wasn't reduced because of anything to do with what he was attempting to do but because of good history.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The big difference between Barrett and Hodge is that Hodge hit a player who is completely upright and still got his head while Barrett hit a player who was bent over and whose head was a lot lower.

I'd suggest the big difference between the two incidents is that Barrett actually cocked his arm and carried out a textbook shoulder charge, whereas Hodge to me is trying to make a legal tackle, but in his clumsy attempt his shoulder made contact with Yato's head.

Now that may warrant a suspension or not, but I don't think the two incidents are that close.