• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Richard Graham to quit the Force and join the Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
But it's not "planning"
Yeah, that's why it's a euphemism. It sugarcoats the pitfalls of trying to choose the right successor ahead of time. They train someone they've already got, and that's a good thing, but the real decision still gets made when the incumbent departs.

... as Richard Graham did on Friday. He's on gardening leave at the moment. Better than being fired...

new coaching boss may choose to retain existing or former coaching staff

Brett Harris is onto the scent...
Haha. He is indeed!

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
McKenzie is qualified as a town planner and that expertise will be channelled into turning Ballymore from a money-eating white elephant into a high-performance and community sport precinct when his far-reaching director of rugby role kicks in for 2015.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...reat-coach-heist/story-fnbzn566-1226335212346

This is really interesting stuff. If you are tired of coaching but love the game, what a project to get your teeth into. The only thing is that you can't coach the Wobs and redevelop Ballymore at the same time, or can you?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Curiouser and curiouser. The Sunday Mail article only serves to deepen further the mystery of why the Graham appointment had to be announced mid-season when both clubs involved were struggling to put a team on the park. QRU CEO Jim Carmichael explained the underlying reason for the restructure:
"We wanted to give Ewen every reason to stay in Queensland. He's been a coach for a long time and he might not necessarily always want to be, I'm a big believer in giving your key people ambition to do bigger things."
Nice try, Jim. You're the trump so you want to give the impression that you're "giving your key people ambition to do bigger things". But even your mum would be awake to the fact that the one pulling the strings in this caper isn't you. "Every reason to stay in Queensland"? He loves the joint so much his home and family are still in Sydney. "Might not necessarily always want to be" a coach because he's been doing it "for a long time"? Sounds like burn-out to me. And this is the bloke who can't wait to take over the Wallabies gig. I wonder just who it was who spelled out exactly what Ewen would be doing for the next few years. I'll take short odds the first draft wasn't written by you, Jim.

The QRU press release announcing the new arrangements stated:
In 2014 and beyond, some of McKenzie’s objectives will be to drive growth and development in the community game which includes over 200 clubs, the redevelopment of Ballymore into an elite and community sporting precinct while maintaining a high level role in setting the direction of the Reds, particularly around talent pathways and recruitment and retention strategies.
But now the Sunday Mail reports:
McKenzie is qualified as a town planner and that expertise will be channelled into turning Ballymore from a money-eating white elephant into a high-performance and community sport precinct when his far-reaching director of rugby role kicks in for 2015.
Has McKenzie's shift to the "far-reaching director" role been put back a year, perhaps because Graham will still be on trainer wheels?

And what can we make of the statement that because McKenzie is "qualified as a town planner" his "expertise will be channelled into turning Ballymore ... into a high-performance and community sport precinct"? Normally the redevelopment of a major sporting stadium would be handled by a high-profile firm of architects with considerable experience in constructing stadia or other large sports facilities. They might include a firm of town-planners among their long list of subsidiary consultants but it is certainly a novel idea to have someone with a degree in that discipline and presumably minimal experience driving such a huge undertaking in his spare time. That's not what town planners do. Their expertise is at the macro level of land usage not with transforming "money-eating white elephants".

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't want to be too hard on link but there are several improbables here:
If he ever worked as a town planner it was a long time ago and to say he possesses "expertise" is stretching it.
What has town planning ultimately got to do with ballymore: the qRU own the site (I'm pretty sure) so there's no issues of acquisition and, unless they want to building housing it's almost certainly appropriately zoned already.
You surely wouldn't employ a bloke on the money he getss to steer a process through council: I assume however that the whole redevelopment is deemed worthy of state government consideration even that will be streamlined.

Seems to me like this is a smokescreen seeking to justify a decision taken on other grounds.
But, as ever, I may be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It smacks of Queensland bending over backwards to keep link involved in the team by any means possible and as Bruce has already stated only one party was really calling the shots on this one and it wasn't QRU.

As for Graham being put on gardening leave it was a smart move by the Force and really their only option. You don't want a guy who next year will be trying to cherrypick players from your squad hanging around with daily access to the playing group making it easier to tap them up.

I'm sure if there are players he wants to take with him he'll still be able to make contact with them, but why make it easier for him. Also seeing him taking players aside after training for private chats would be bad for morale amongst the rest of the squad. Then you have to think of the players worrying about their security and future, RG couldn't give any assurances to those staying behind. But his replacement, even if it's just a temporary appointment, can.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
"What has town planning ultimately got to do with ballymore: the qRU own the site (I'm pretty sure) so there's no issues of acquisition and, unless they want to building housing it's almost certainly appropriately zoned already.
You surely wouldn't employ a bloke on the money he getss to steer a process through council: I assume however that the whole redevelopment is deemed worthy of state government consideration even that will be streamlined

This is another issue but quickly and from what I've heard (would love more detail and will go looking for an earlier thread hopefully). The land was given/ is on loan from the government for recreational purposes. By turning it into a high performance centre that makes money its no longer recreation. QRU wants/needs government funding but the government also wants a piece of the pie. Money has previously been designated for the re-development but it is also very easy to cut come budget time in the current climate and given the complications. The locals also don't want it becasue of the increased traffic.

The architects and engineers have done their bit whats needed now is exactly someone to drive this through local and state government.

Edit: new this had already been discussed http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/ballymore-redevelopment-approved.5142/
No mention of who owns the land though, not sure where I heard that.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Reds lose their brilliant mind"

Now the pieces in this complex inner puzzle mount, there is more to all this than it's easy for us to know. Fowler was a major contributor to the Reds behind the scenes, in a number of dimensions.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...r-brilliant-mind/story-e6frg7o6-1226339236910

Chook will be missed.

Interestingly, another behind the scenes person, when Alec Evans left after last year I thought the scrum would weaken, but it hasn't been too bad.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is another issue but quickly and from what I've heard (would love more detail and will go looking for an earlier thread hopefully). The land was given/ is on loan from the government for recreational purposes. By turning it into a high performance centre that makes money its no longer recreation. QRU wants/needs government funding but the government also wants a piece of the pie. Money has previously been designated for the re-development but it is also very easy to cut come budget time in the current climate and given the complications. The locals also don't want it becasue of the increased traffic.

The architects and engineers have done their bit whats needed now is exactly someone to drive this through local and state government.

Edit: new this had already been discussed http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/ballymore-redevelopment-approved.5142/

Interesting: the QRU should be wary of getting in bed with the government - is it intended that games would still be played at Suncorp?
Link has no experience of "driv(ing) this through local and state government". his salary to do that, sans experience, would be OTT.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes, I'd argue he'll be 'very missed'. Quite a unique person and skill set, from all I've heard.

Departed over a disagreement regarding a 'player review'.

The team falls into a hole, a shadow of 2011, Tatsy goes, sudden new big role for Link that must be announced mid season, RG ('the perpetual apprentice') rush recruited, Fowler resigns over 'disagreements'. One day these dots will be joined.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Departed over a disagreement regarding a 'player review'.
Genia?

Looking for $400k (before ARU top-up) from the Reds. Hasn't been in great form.

Genia wants 400,000 reasons to stay
April 27, 2012 - 5:42AM

Will Genia's management has set the star halfback's price at lofty $400,000 per season as the Queensland Reds fight to retain the signature of their influential Wallaby playmaker.

... McKenzie as negotiator is about to face his biggest test, with Genia and Cooper the undoubted faces of a side that electrified rugby in Queensland after the code spent years as the unrequited loser lurking in the corner.

The Australian provinces are awaiting final confirmation of what their salary cap will be next season, with the most likely scenario being $4.8 million. It's been reported that at least the last $800,000 of that must come from the province.
Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...ons-to-stay-20120426-1xngi.html#ixzz1tBtwfwBr

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

QRU "owns" Ballymore but it's not freehold ownership. State land was transferred under a Deed of Grant in Trust (DOGIT) for recreational and sporting use, with QRU being the trustee. Any development on DOGIT land has to meet that use requirement.

The QLD government Department of Natural Resources and Water will approve the proposed gymnasiums, sports medical centre and QRU Rugby Club under the current conditions of the DOGIT.

The other part of the proposal, for commercial offices, may require an excising of a part of the land - to be rezoned.
is it intended that games would still be played at Suncorp?.
yes

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Almost an onomatopoetic acronym......
Would the govt agree to excision of any of the land from (what i assume is) a public recreation trust without compensation?
Have rugby lovers in QLD not heard of a place in Sydney called Concord Oval? The QRU must have dusted off the Ken Elphick business plan for Concord and sexed it up with gyms instead of pie stands to reflect the passage 20 years and changing tastes.
Dont do it!
http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=39

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Almost an onomatopoetic acronym......
Would the govt agree to excision of any of the land from (what i assume is) a public recreation trust without compensation?
Have rugby lovers in QLD not heard of a place in Sydney called Concord Oval? The QRU must have dusted off the Ken Elphick business plan for Concord and sexed it up with gyms instead of pie stands to reflect the passage 20 years and changing tastes.
Dont do it!
http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=39
Except it's not onomatopoeic. A contrived acronym perhaps...

WHOOSH captures it better - Waratah Harps On Old Stadium History.
ayfkC.gif

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Wait till Khoder gets his media campaign kicked off on Quades behalf. Things could explode very quickly. It would be a damn shame for it to fall apart after only 2 successful years.

Wth Quades world cup performance and injury I'm not really sure he has anywhere to go. He was at the height of his powers last year (pre world cup) that value will be greatly diminished right now. The only place I can see any great interest would be at the force, intact him and Genia would be a great package deal over there.

Conspiracy theory #2134: maybe Ewen knows a few of these fellas are moving on and that QLD are gonna take a hit, out on top = positive reputation.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Man this really is the tin foil hat thread. I'm going to keep my nose out of here from now on because half of whats being thrown around is just outrageous. That and the fact that I like to watch Rugby & really couldn't give a fuck about the politics behind the scenes. Enjoy your paranoid posturings fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.