• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rio Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Sort of. It is more the actual detail of each tournament that is hard to get information on.

The Oceania page http://www.oceaniarugby.com/default.aspx? is probably better than most but the tournament info has only really only just gone up under the tournament link.

This is the Africa page http://www.rugbyafrique.com/ and other than the front story there is nothing.

World Rugby is even worse. They have a story on Oceania only which when you click on it actually opens in the Women's Sevens World Series page http://www.worldrugby.org/womens-sevens-series/news/123154 They have absolutely nothing on Africa.

Why cant we have a page like this http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/index.html that allows anyone who is interested to follow along the entire pathway rather than hunting down obscure websites, half of which don't work and getting better information from Wikipedia (I don't know where the authors of these pages get their info from).
The Olympics have the potential to be bigger than the World Cup in growing rugby world wide and it should be easy to find out information as to what is happening. Even now it would be nice to be able to see the tournament structure (guessing three pools of 4, top two through but 2 best 3rd), when the draw will be done for pool membership, how seeding will work, will there be seeding or could we end up with NZ, SA, USA and ENG pool?

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
:eek:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1447421348148.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447421348148.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 225

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What stadium is the tournament in NZ being played at?

Edit: There we go. On screen now.

It's at the Trust Arena in Waitakere City.

Haven't seen any broadcast rugby from there before.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's interesting that there's such a difference ethnically between the PI nations, despite the relatively short distances. I mean the Tongans are a lot closer to the Fijians geographically, but genetically, they obviously share a lot more the the Maori and the Samoans than they do with the Fijians, and it'll be the same for the Fijians and the PNG boys.

Probably just me being a sheltered white lad though who's major contact with non whites was always the South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis etc.)

Anyway, couple of shellackings to start the tournament!

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
What stadium is the tournament in NZ being played at?

Edit: There we go. On screen now.

It's at the Trust Arena in Waitakere City.

Haven't seen any broadcast rugby from there before.

Its used more for Athletics and Soccer. Though ITM Cup should be played there instead of a 95% empty Eden Park.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's interesting that there's such a difference ethnically between the PI nations, despite the relatively short distances. I mean the Tongans are a lot closer to the Fijians geographically, but genetically, they obviously share a lot more the the Maori and the Samoans than they do with the Fijians, and it'll be the same for the Fijians and the PNG boys.

Probably just me being a sheltered white lad though who's major contact with non whites was always the South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis etc.)

Anyway, couple of shellackings to start the tournament!

Technically Fijian's aren't Pacific Islanders/Polynesian, they're Melanesian. Hence why they have the similarities you noted to their Melanesian relatives from PNG.

EDIT:
Its used more for Athletics and Soccer. Though ITM Cup should be played there instead of a 95% empty Eden Park.

Western Springs would be a better bet IMO.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From what I saw, Samoa shouldn't cause us too much trouble. I hope they still make the Olympics through the repechage however. They can't have too many other athletes in Rio if any at all.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11354242

Auckland Council just voted to develop Western Spring into a Cricket Ground.

Didn't they just spend a shitload on turning Eden Park No. 2 into a cricket ground? Or is the plan to have EP2 for Test & 1st class, Western Springs for T20 & 50-over matches?

In terms of where Auckland should play their ITM matches, EP is clearly way too big & I'd have thought Waitakere too distant: could ground-sharing with the Warriors at Mount Smart work?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think Mount Smart is an option. From the article:

The upgrade of Western Springs is part of a stadium strategy that involves moving speedway to Mt Smart Stadium, the Warriors moving from Mt Smart to QBE Stadium at Albany and international cricket being played at Eden Park for one-day and 20/20 matches and at Western Springs for tests.

The North Shore. LOL. I don't think it's possible to move the Warriors further away from their main support base than that. As for Auckland -- short of playing at club or school grounds -- looks like they're stuck at Eden Park.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ trust a bunch of D'Aucks to try being all things to everyone & ending up being nothing to anyone. Warriors at Albany? Good luck with that, may as well move them to the 'tron, at least the Huntly & Ngaras crews will still front.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The World U20's were played at Counties Manaku (Poppy The Goat's) Stadium, and a stadium somewhere in Manakau. The latter seemed to be a fairly decent sort of stadium from memory. What is wrong with that one? No public transport or parking or something?

Do the Jaffa's have a problem (like many do in Sydney) with travelling more than 10 km from the CBD?

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
The World U20's were played at Counties Manaku (Poppy The Goat's) Stadium, and a stadium somewhere in Manakau. The latter seemed to be a fairly decent sort of stadium from memory. What is wrong with that one? No public transport or parking or something?

They Played the World u20's at EcoLight Stadium in Pukekohe and at North Harbour Stadium in Albany, with the finals at Eden Park. Albany is in a completely different Rugby Province to Auckland, so would be a no go, and North Harbour already play there.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Didn't they just spend a shitload on turning Eden Park No. 2 into a cricket ground? Or is the plan to have EP2 for Test & 1st class, Western Springs for T20 & 50-over matches?

I think the council want the Eden Park Trust to sell off No.2 to pay down some debt on the redevelopment of the main stadium.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

That would be North Harbour Stadium -- the place where the Warriors are apparently being shipped off to. The problem with NHS is that it's in the middle of nowhere. The only things near it is a monstrous motorway interchange, and an equally horrible shopping mall.

In terms of NPC rugby, it's also outside of Auckland's current boundaries.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Back on-topic, Samoa b Solomon Islands 48-0, American Samoa 50-0 & PNG 41-7.

Back off-topic &fyi @HughJarse, Pukekohe is also outside of Auckland's rugby domain & home to Counties-Man-U-kau: Man-A-kau is down 'nua ways. I have no idea where Manaku is & suspect you've made it up so as to to appear to be down with Te Reo :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
African Qualifying Tournament:

KENYA 50 – 5 MAURITIUS
MADAGASCAR 33 – 17 SENEGAL
ZIMBABWE 31 – 12 NIGERIA
UGANDA 47 – 5 ZAMBIA
TUNISIA 24 – 7 BOTSWANA
NAMIBIA 24 – 21 MOROCCO
KENYA 27 – 0 SENEGAL
MADAGASCAR 27 – 29 MAURITIUS
ZIMBABWE 48 – 0 ZAMBIA