• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rio Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hopefully Kenya make it, their fans bring such an awesome atmosphere to all of the World Series tournaments, would be great to see them bring that to the Olympics.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Hopefully Kenya make it, their fans bring such an awesome atmosphere to all of the World Series tournaments, would be great to see them bring that to the Olympics.

I believe they would be a medal chance as well. So far every team bar Japan I think could win a medal.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Nauru has a massive side! Not exactly built for 7s but they put in 100%. Full credit to them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tongans giving Samoa a hiding as well. Didn't pick that.

I thought pre-tournament they were a chance, but not 41-5. Tonga haven't been on the 7's circuit on a regular basis for some years now so what's essentially a scratch team knocking over a core HSBC outfit shows how badly Samoa have imploded in recent times. Expect their Chairman/ PM will offer some more positive reinforcement e.g. "silly, selfish, child-like". Works wonders, does that.

PNG were up against it with 7 on 7, now they're a man down for the duration.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Considering we belted Tonga in the rounds, we'd be very short priced favourite to win this. But with their tails up Tonga could be a different team this time around.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^ put a coupla early tries on them & you'll see the shoulders sag & the heads drop but, yup, give them a sniff early & anything could happen. Still thinking your blokes by 20+, tho.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Absolute shock for Tonga to smash Samoa like that. Is the final 20 mins? I think we'll win 30+.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Had the pleasure of watching them train about three months ago at Narrabeen. It's a professional set-up and they work bloody hard.

Happy to see them get the result, looked a forgone conclusion on paper but Sevens is a fickle game and it takes a good side to take the bounce of the ball out of the equation.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Now that we're qualified for the Olympics, might be time to start looking for a full time head coach. Tim Walsh has done exceptionally well the last few months, apparently he wants to stay on with the Womens 7s team.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great performance! Surely we'll see more 15's guys put their hand up now. Not that it'll be easy for anyone to get into the side.

Huge surprise to see Tonga hammer Samoa to make the final. You'd have to think Canada are now strong favourites to win the repechage.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ Samoa won the 3rd/ 4th playoff so will be in the repechage but, yeah, the way they & Canada have been going lately you'd have to favour the Canucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.