• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rio Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm sure a softener is being paid to squad members if sufficient media coin is brought in. didn't have a camera crew with him to shoot the whole NFL thing as a doco? I'm sure i read that somewhere - wonder if this foray is part of it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pools for men's repechage tournament in Monaco this weekend.

Pool A: Samoa, Zimbabwe, Tonga, Ireland
Pool B: Canada, Germany, Uruguay, Sri Lanka
Pool C: Russia, Chile, Morocco, Tunisia
Pool D: Hong Kong, Spain, Mexico, South Korea

As usual WR (World Rugby) have set up a sub-site for the tournament with tabs for fixtures, results, standings etc:

http://www.worldrugby.org/tournament/1669

Times are local, add eight hours for AEST: first game at 1900 tonight. Not on Foxtel & no link to a live stream on WR (World Rugby)'s site.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ireland, Germany (!), Russia & Hong Kong (!!!) unbeaten on Day 1.

Trophy QF:
Zimbabwe v Mexico
Morocco v Sri Lanka
South Korea v Tonga
Uruguay v Tunisia

Cup QF:
Ireland v Spain
Russia v Canada
Hong Kong v Samoa
Germany v Chile

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Spain have won the men's repechage, beating Samoa 22-19 in the final.

image.jpeg

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
What a ludicrous result. Can't say they don't deserve it, beating the undefeated Ireland, and series regulars Russia and Canada.

Makes me a little sad tbh that there's only 12 teams going. As we've seen throughout the series, at the Hong Kong qualification tournament, the Olympics qualifying, and the Repechage, there's a lot of passion involved in these sides.

Surely for next time around, change it to 6 qualifying from the World Series, and 3 from the Repechage, leaving the regional qualifying as is.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Presumably the Samoan Rugby Union Chairman & Prime Minister will blame the loss on the players being greedy (for expecting to be paid in full &'on time) & childish (for questioning the cost of upgrading Apia Park, the cost of staging the All Blacks Test last year, the whereabouts of all the money SRU have received from IRB/WR (World Rugby) etc etc).

@H35, I'm not sure I'd call the result "ludicrous" I reckon this result is both a sign of how the game is expanding into non-traditional countries, and that those newcomers can not just make up the numbers but actually give the bigger boys a run for their money. Gotta be good for the game "going forward".

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
[quote="waiopehu oldboy, post: 854723, member: 14632"

@H35, I'm not sure I'd call the result "ludicrous" I reckon this result is both a sign of how the game is expanding into non-traditional countries, and that those newcomers can not just make up the numbers but actually give the bigger boys a run for their money. Gotta be good for the game "going forward".[/quote

I read it as an alternative for fantastic as in "Tesla Model S Ludicrous speed".

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Presumably the Samoan Rugby Union Chairman & Prime Minister will blame the loss on the players being greedy (for expecting to be paid in full &'on time) & childish (for questioning the cost of upgrading Apia Park, the cost of staging the All Blacks Test last year, the whereabouts of all the money SRU have received from IRB/WR (World Rugby) etc etc).

@H35, I'm not sure I'd call the result "ludicrous" I reckon this result is both a sign of how the game is expanding into non-traditional countries, and that those newcomers can not just make up the numbers but actually give the bigger boys a run for their money. Gotta be good for the game "going forward".

Something a lot of people are overlooking is that Spain haven't exactly come out of the blue here. They've been a presence on the World Series for some time. The core group of guys they have in their 7s squad have been working toward this for a while. They didn't just fluke it.

But, yes, I think this tournament is a sign of the developing depth in the 7s game on the international stage. Which is great for the game overall.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What a ludicrous result. Can't say they don't deserve it, beating the undefeated Ireland, and series regulars Russia and Canada.

Makes me a little sad tbh that there's only 12 teams going. As we've seen throughout the series, at the Hong Kong qualification tournament, the Olympics qualifying, and the Repechage, there's a lot of passion involved in these sides.

Surely for next time around, change it to 6 qualifying from the World Series, and 3 from the Repechage, leaving the regional qualifying as is.

I disagree with this being a ludicrous result re my previous comment but what I do think is ludicrous is that its only a 12 team tournament in Rio. I know the IOC wanted it this way and so be it but here's hoping that the 7s is a huge success in Rio and come 2020 the IOC can be convinced that a 16 team tournamenr is a better option.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not ludicrous bad, more, surprising and hilarious that that ended up being the final result, given the presence of 3 Series teams, a Hong Kong side that's beaten them twice this season (at this tournament and the Qualifier) and an Ireland who've been excellent in virtually every tournament they've been in.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pools

Pool A: Fiji, USA, Argentina, Spain
Pool B: South Africa, Australia, France, Brazil
Pool C: New Zealand, Great Britain, Kenya, Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.