• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RIP Jerry Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The whole Barnstaple story is one the best ever in rugby circles and a huge testament to Collins' pure love and respect for the traditions and ethos of the game...

And here's the next chapter:

"James Hudson wrote this week on behalf of Barnstaple to Collins' Porirua club, Northern United Rugby Football Club, to ask if the team could don Norths' blue and white socks in his honour for their first home game for the 2015/2016 season.

"They also planned to retire their number 6 jersey, the legendary flanker's number."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ute-by-barnstaple-rugby-club-of-devon-england

Is there a young @Shelts89 in among this lot?

image.jpg

Or was he already down at pub getting the pints in?

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
I am afraid not! I was a year too young to be playing adults rugby back then. I know a lot of the guys in the photo though. Which is no use as they aren't famous!

Really it all just shows what a great guy he was. Barnstaple have gone onto to play in the National leagues since, but back then we just played in the local divisions, but he still went out of his way to help s as a club.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ knowing a lot of the guys in the photo is kinda what rugby is about, isn't it? Besides which you can always embellish "I danced with a man who danced with a girl who danced with the Prince of Wales" & all that......

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Funeral was held today & was televised, I don't recall that ever happening before.

image.jpg

"(L-R) Filo Tiatia, Tana Umaga, Ma'a Nonu and Chris Masoe carry the coffin of Jerry Collins' from his funeral service at Te Rauparaha Arena in Porirua."

Wifey, who is "back home" for her father's 70th, tells me others in attendance were Jonah Lomu, SBW & GOAT. Doubtless there were others but that pretty much exhausts the list of players she can recognise by sight.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...gend-tried-to-protect-daughter-in-fatal-crash

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think I got a bit of dust in my eye and sand in my throat reading that article. Thanks for sharing it @Waiopehu oldboy.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
stuff.co.nz reports that "........French club Toulon will host the Classic All Blacks in the rugby-mad city on October 7, two days before the All Blacks final Rugby World Cup pool match against Tonga in Newcastle.

"Played at the home ground of the three-time European Cup champions, the match has been described as a chance for Toulon to pay tribute to their beloved former player Jerry Collins, who played 22 times for the club from 2008-09 after he ended his All Blacks career.

"....Toulon owner and president Mourad Boudjellal said the whole region was proud to welcome the Classic All Blacks to Stade Mayol.

"Boudjellal said they were looking forward to the chance to remember Collins.

"I am sure the [Classic] All Blacks haka on this day will remember Jerry Collins with great emotion and so will we. Fans from around the world will witness two heavyweight rugby institutions competing against one another in the heart of Toulon."

"The design of the Classic All Blacks playing strip will pay tribute to Collins.

"Invitees to play for Classic All Blacks against Toulon: Carl Hayman, Ali Williams, Chris Masoe, Rudi Wolfe, John Afoa, Corey Flynn, Andrew Hore, Brad Thorn, Adam Thompson, Daniel Braid, Joe Rokocoko, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Anthony Tuitavake, Sam Tuitoupou, Neemia Tialata, Simone Taumoepeau, Nick Evans, Tom Donnelly, Jason Eaton, Mike Delaney, Luke McAlister, Richard Kahui, Mils Muliaina."

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^It barely seems possible, but "A cult figure of New Zealand rugby is being mourned barely a week after he played in a charity match overshadowed by the death of former All Blacks star Jerry Collins.

"Norm Berryman, the perpetually grinning outside back who played a test for the All Blacks during a grim international season in 1998, died of a suspected heart attack in Perth, Western Australia, overnight Monday, shortly after returning from Europe.

"The 42-year-old father of six represented a New Zealand Invitational XV in a festival game in Milan to raise money for the fight against epilepsy in Italy on June 13 - an occasion which dovetailed as a memorial for Collins, who died alongside his wife Alana Madill in a car accident in France eight days earlier."

image.jpg

"Norm Berryman (right) with New Zealand Invitational XV team-mates and a photo of former All Blacks star Jerry Collins after a charity game in Italy that also served as a tribute to Collins."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ath-follows-jerry-collins-tribute-rugby-match

Status
Not open for further replies.