• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RL and RU

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sydney Wallabies

I don't get this animosity towards RL from RU fans.
Likewise the other way round luckily I have friends who love both games and the teams I support are St.Helens RLFC and Sale Sharks RUFC.:)

As a follower of both codes I don't get it as well.

There seems to be the same animosity towards RL from AFL fans as well.

The absolute rubbish said by a lot of AFL fans is mind boggling.

I don't think the RL & RU hatred seems to be as prevelent in the UK.

I used to frequent the old Leeds Rhinos/Tykes forum a lot and from time to time you'd get the anti RL or RU sentiment but most of the time most Rhinos and Tykes(now Carnegie) fans seem to get along reasonably well.

I've never understand this whole class mentality from both sets of fans either.

If anything with the second AFL side coming in Sydney, RL and RU need to start working together as it isn't the other who is the enemy here.

It's actually the AFL.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Two major things I think contributed to the animosity; Dally Messenger, and in the two world wars rugby ceased while league continued to be played and strengthened its foothold in Aus.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The animosity from most RU fans comes from the player poaching over a period of nearly 100 years and in my case annoyance at the IRB for their steadfast refusal to allow professionalism in the game to combat it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As a follower of both codes I don't get it as well.

There seems to be the same animosity towards RL from AFL fans as well.

The absolute rubbish said by a lot of AFL fans is mind boggling.

I used to frequent the old Leeds Rhinos/Tykes forum a lot and from time to time you'd get the anti RL or RU sentiment but most of the time most Rhinos and Tykes(now Carnegie) fans seem to get along reasonably well.

I've never understand this whole class mentality from both sets of fans either.

If anything with the second AFL side coming in Sydney, RL and RU need to start working together as it isn't the other who is the enemy here.

It's actually the AFL.

Well, yes it is AFL...and soccer...and RUGBY LEAGUE!!!!
People who grow up with AFL are unlikely to become rugby passionate, sure the expansion of AFL may suck juniors into that sport, but not massively in western Sydney I reckon. Soccer is a big deal - gets 'em early when mummies are most freaked out by contact sports.
Rugby League raped and pillage for decades, taking many good rugby players when they were amateur. They did weaken Rugby. They have no awareness of this, and just bang on with pious religiosity about "Their game" as if it was something akin to the Masons with funny handshakes and a tribal tattoo for the lucky ones who were into it. Now they whine like biatches when a few players get snaffled the other way. Reality is that they are the biggest direct threat from a player and spectator viewpoint - if League did not exist here, and many of the people playing and following it followed Rugby, it would be stronger. For their lack of insight and complaining about the shoe being on the other foot and up their arse, I dislike them. As a game, I don't hate it, but I find it tedious and repetitive, and all the gumph about superior fitness, strength, defence, blah, blah, blah is tiresome. If it was so tough, how does the fragile Mat Rogers survive there when he kept falling apart in rugby games?

A

AIDAN

sorry but i have to ask.

Why on earth is EVERY SINGLE kick-off in league right down into the corner? Why does no-one ever try and regather off a shallow one? Same with scrums, theyre so loose surely someone has once thought 'hang on, maybe if we actually push here we might get it'?

For the record I did enjoy it when I was younger, but now I'll only really watch it if there's nothing else on. Still more than can be said for soccer or AFL (although I believe I once watched a full game)

teams arent allowed to push in scrums in league. the scrum cant even be hooked towards the defending team. if a halfback puts a ball into his own players shins and the other team gets it they repack the scrum so that the attacking team always get it. thats the rule

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

Are you serious? The only reason this may even come close to being the case is that noone south of Manchester really gives a stuff about league. I maybe speaking as a sterotypical southerner but it simply doesnt feature on the radar of most poms, me included.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
teams arent allowed to push in scrums in league. the scrum cant even be hooked towards the defending team. if a halfback puts a ball into his own players shins and the other team gets it they repack the scrum so that the attacking team always get it. thats the rule

The kickoff's are really similar to NFL now, but even in the NFL they still have the special kicking play "Onside Kick", basically a rugby kick off (short, using the width of the field) off a tee. Gotta be worth a shot with league's big fast wingers.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

No they actually are, they just don't. It's pointless because the way the ball is aloud to be fed means it would be a wasted opportunity for a rest.

Whenever they do, push that is, the commentators get so shocked and babble about it for ages.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
as everyone has pointed out, look into the history of the game, in particularly in australia, and you'll start to understand the hatred. Let me also point out it wasn't just the players, you see nicknames, colours and parks stolen from rugby.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I really enjoy watching league followed the Siper League from about 05-06 then saw the 08 world cup and realised how awesome the australian players were. Ever since Nrl makes the super league look a bit tame.

I enjoy league because a player of quality can influence the game from any position, in union this is lacking a bit because a prop isn't likely to run 100m and score a try but in league every position can impact the game.

I mainly watch the NRL for the freaks of the league slater, folau, inglis, bowen, thurston, soward etc.

And for people that ask why players are wasting their time in league, i guess that if you are on a good wage the benefits are -
- you play more games a year
- more tries are scored by known try scorers each year i.e. drew mitchells 8 to brett morris 22
- Less wear and tear on the body
- origin opportunities
- If you are good t=you usually tear it up

The biggest negatives of league are that its not union and the international stage is nowhere near as good

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I played league as a kid, in the days when the halfback threw the ball in the middle of the tunnel, the hooker actually hooked, scrums were actually contested, ball stripping was allowed, and you could compete for the ball as a marker.

The difference between then and now is that apart from when there is a bomb, there is absolutely no contest for the ball allowed. In that respect rugby league is quite unique as a contact ball sport.

by no means am I a hater but the modern version of league bores the tits off me.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Agreed It's almost like basketball where each side has a turn with the ball. Oh wait you're allowed to steal the ball in basketball.

H

Hartman

Born and raised in a country that lives by the Springbok, I had not even heard of league until I saw it on the TV at my uncle's place when I first moved here. To this day it has not grown on me in the slightest. Such a non-technical game.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
No they actually are, they just don't. It's pointless because the way the ball is aloud to be fed means it would be a wasted opportunity for a rest.

Whenever they do, push that is, the commentators get so shocked and babble about it for ages.

They actually changed the rules a couple of years ago banning pushing and contesting for the ball in the scrums (I have a family of league fans and they told me this when I sat down while watching one day and asked the question at scrum time). From my perspective league as a game does not have much difference in standard from a good game and a great game (with the commentators cheer-leading regardless) but the difference between a good game of rugby and a bad game is huge. I gave up on watching league at about the time of the super league war and never really came back.

Status
Not open for further replies.