• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rnd 8: Reds v Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Anyone remember an incident on Higgers (I assume) in the 2nd minute?

Yeah he gets absolutely nailed off the ball at 1:34 on the game clock - ref is 5 feet away and looking directly at him when it happens..

JFPQjG3.gif

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Well, I remember Higgers stayed down for sometime after the incident. Not really up to speed with what is getting reported but it looks like an argument could be made he was expecting Higgers to get an offload.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Is there footage of the incident when Cooper got in the way of the Kings player chasing the kick? At the game, from where i was sitting it looked bad and I expected trouble.

Like when Duncan Paia'aua got yellow carded?

There was another incident early in the second half when a Reds player was tackled without the ball and I wondered if a yellow would be handed out as well. Guess the position on the field meant it was deemed a lesser offence.

There are plenty of issues every game like these. Not saying it's right that there is inconsistency. But short of reviewing every half incident and slowing the game down even more it will continue to happen. I don't think the Reds were harshly penalised.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I think people are starting to realise what is missing from his game, this is what is wrong with the Wallabies, we have many players that possess one good skill but lack others.

I think he has a lot of work to do on defence and off loading using two hands to the chest of whoever he is passing to instead of one handed around the corner passes. Sometimes holding the ball and retaining possession rather than forcing a pass that gets dropped is the best thing to do.
He really shouldn't be ahead of TK yet. The reds are all sack and no balls at the moment. Plenty of players performing well below what people were expecting at the start of the season. Quade is as much of a liability as ever, probably now behind Lance in the running for 10.

Hunt being the notable exception.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the incident on Higgers is an illustration of a clean out being made within a set proximity of a breakdown (1 or 2 metres I think). It is not a clean out, it is exactly a tackle off the ball and should be penalised. Clean outs should be redefined to only include where the player being cleaned out is actually bound to, or an integral part of, the ruck/breakdown. The way it is played and officiated at the moment is a real irritation, especially when it causes a gap near the breakdown for the attacking side to exploit.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
That incident on Higgers is very similar to what Kepu got a citing commissioners warning for in the Waratahs v Hurricanes game when he got Jordie Barrett.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah he gets absolutely nailed off the ball at 1:34 on the game clock - ref is 5 feet away and looking directly at him when it happens..

I have a feeling that this one may have been ready to go in the referees mind based on prior behaviours of the Reds if you have watched over the last few weeks. There is a trend that has crept (been coached and practised!) in to their game with of in tight running through next to the breakdown / ruck enabling the clean out beyond the ruck.

If you go back and have a look Simmons does this prior to Higger's greeting hit, then in the same breakdown where Higger's get hit, then Paia'aua does it soon after and it continues throughout the game. Paia'aua does it really blatantly later on the Lions line.

The key question with the Higger's hit was what was he doing? He was not near the ball, the ball could not have been passed to him, he was not going to the breakdown so what was his intent other than to interfere with the defenders by going through the line (the tight running clear out beyond MO) who do not have to give way. So most likely in the referees eyes he ran in to the defender.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That's not the key question at all. It might've been before he was taken out off the ball but wasn't after that point

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Trying to take space beyond the ruck is something every Rugby team on planet Earth attempts to do. I don't know on which planet it's an excuse for shoulder charging players off the ball.

Considering how Higgers entire running angle changes and has him going right at the breakdown before he gets hit, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he was going in to seal the breakdown as the second man in.

Simmons is cleaning a player out off the breakdown after coming through the gate which is obstructed by a Kings player laying offsides. No clue what you're taking about here.

How can a player be in the same forward pod as the ball carrier and be set to be second in the ruck but at the same time not be near the ball somehow?

Did you actually say at the end of your post that this happens because Higgers "ran into" a Kings player?

What?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Tackled player is on the ground and Higger's is 2 players off the ruck with the inside defender already passed him and pulling up. Since when do defenders have to give way?

Capture.JPG

mouthguard

Frank Row (1)
The Reds will have to focus for the next game on Ball retention including not forcing passes and supporting players entering contact if they are to improve. Playing action oriented computer games also helps improve eye-hand coordination that will help address the problem of dropped passes. So that is something for players to work on individually over the bye. The next game that will be against the Waratahs at Suncorp stadium needs to be flawlessly executed if we are to come away with a win

T

TOCC

The key question with the Higger's hit was what was he doing? He was not near the ball, the ball could not have been passed to him, he was not going to the breakdown so what was his intent other than to interfere with the defenders by going through the line (the tight running clear out beyond MO) who do not have to give way. So most likely in the referees eyes he ran in to the defender.

This is baffling...

It's clear he was running a support line, that is, to be in support of the player In case he makes a half break and can offload, its standard play amongst all rugby teams.

Defenders may not have to give way, but that's not what happened, it's clear the Kings player lined him up and made a tackle, a tackle which lead with the shoulder. Illegal and lucky not to be yellow carded

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
This is baffling.

It's clear he was running a support line, that is, to be in support of the player In case he makes a half break and can offload, its standard play amongst all rugby teams.

Defenders may not have to give way, but that's not what happened, it's clear the Kings player lined him up and made a tackle, a tackle which lead with the shoulder. Illegal and lucky not to be yellow carded

Or playing devils advocate, braced for the impending collision. If you look at the space between Higger's and the inside defender it looks like it was unlikely that Higger's could have missed colliding with both of them.

Clearly arms as you can see by the picture. Not called, not reviewed, not cited.

T

TOCC

Or playing devils advocate, braced for the impending collision. If you look at the space between Higger's and the inside defender it looks like it was unlikely that Higger's could have missed colliding with both of them.

Clearly arms as you can see by the picture. Not called, not reviewed, not cited.

Nah, he clearly stopped, planted hips feet and put his body in a position to make a tackle. You can't tackle a player without the ball, you can't tackle a player late or early. Its really quite simple.

As a player holding your ground, you need to make every reasonable chance to get out of the way, and bracing for a tackle doesn't include leading with the shoulder into the player.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
MST, I have to disagree on the Higgers' incident. To my eye, he was clearly tackled (though I don't think it was a no-arms concern as some do). To suggest he was coming into the ruck is attributing intent on his part that simply cannot be certain. I am certain though that he was tackled without the ball and should have earned a penalty.

I do agree about Simmons though. While there is no gate, as mentioned by someone, he came from on side, but again was only concerned with taking a defender out behind the breakdown which could conceivably have caused a gap to be created to be exploited by a quick pick and go. That type of action also should earn a penalty against him in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.