• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rocky on the way home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Biffo, did you get it right? :eek:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/leinster-braced-for-elsom-exit-after-wallabies-boss-keeps-a-place-vacant-1747732.html

TOMORROW'S Heineken Cup final is set to be Rocky Elsom's Leinster swansong after a space was left open in Australia's summer international squad yesterday.

And Elsom's return to Australia now appears to be a matter of when rather than if after Wallabies coach Robbie Deans named 29 instead of 30 in their squad for their four internationals against the Barbarians, Italy (two) and France.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Spook said:
Biffo, did you get it right? :eek:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/leinster-braced-for-elsom-exit-after-wallabies-boss-keeps-a-place-vacant-1747732.html

TOMORROW'S Heineken Cup final is set to be Rocky Elsom's Leinster swansong after a space was left open in Australia's summer international squad yesterday.

And Elsom's return to Australia now appears to be a matter of when rather than if after Wallabies coach Robbie Deans named 29 instead of 30 in their squad for their four internationals against the Barbarians, Italy (two) and France.

I believe I did :thumb.

Now, as President of the Rocky Fan Club, I charge you with responsibility for taking said Rocky Elsom into your custody and delivering him to Sydney, NSW, Australia. I grant you eternal amnesty from any criminal charges which may be laid for any offence you may commit in discharging your responsibility.

You are instructed also to take custody of the passport of said subject and ensure that it is stamped "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL TO QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA".

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No doubt about it - Rocky wants to play for Oz ASAP. You only have to read Djuro Sen's interview with him in the latest issue of the Inside Rugby mag:

Q: "So what's your plan after this year's Magners League and Heineken Cup."

A: "Well the Australian international season starts in june and I'd like to be part of that."

But in a radio interview on Wednesday Chris Whitaker, who also plays for Leinster, said that the club would throw all kinds of things at Rocky to keep him in Dublin.

No mention of what S14 team he will play for if he does come home, either from Whits, or in the interview.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
My prediction: Rocky to captain Australia's 5th Super franchise in Melbourne.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
You never know, because Rocky is a Renaissance man and marches the the beat of a different drummer. It might appeal.

But his girlfriend lives in Brisbane on the one hand - and he has the Tahs history on the other.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Gagger said:
Noddy said:
He is Tahs history now.

Anyone seen confirmation of his signing with QLD?

....until the fat lady sings
Agreed. I read today that he has been offered $700,000 to play for the Reds. $450,000 ARU, $150,000 QRU, $100,000 Sponsor and $3,000 a game match fee. All up not a bad pay day but not anything that any of the other Franchises couldn't put together in a day. If he comes it will be for love not money.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Found it!

relsom_getty_324003t.jpg

Asked whether Elsom will fill the 30th spot if he signed with the ARU, Deans said: "If he signs a contract, he would become part of a potential playing pool. We'll deal with that at the time."

S

Spook

Sully said:
Found it!

relsom_getty_324003t.jpg

Asked whether Elsom will fill the 30th spot if he signed with the ARU, Deans said: "If he signs a contract, he would become part of a potential playing pool. We'll deal with that at the time."

Ummm sully, how is this post any different to the one that started the thread? :nta: :mad: :)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
A little while back this board was redolent with statements such as "Rocky Who?" and "Who needs Rocky when we have Mumm, McMinimum and HigginBum?" :) Some appear to have changed their minds :lmao:

Mumm, McMinimum and HigginBum are all serviceable forwards but none of them is Rocky.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sully said:
Gagger said:
Noddy said:
He is Tahs history now.

Agreed. I read today that he has been offered $700,000 to play for the Reds. $450,000 ARU, $150,000 QRU, $100,000 Sponsor and $3,000 a game match fee. All up not a bad pay day but not anything that any of the other Franchises couldn't put together in a day. If he comes it will be for love not money.

Where would that package rank him among Australia's rugby players?

U

Utility Back

[/quote]
Biffo said:
Sully said:
Gagger said:
Noddy said:
He is Tahs history now.

Where would that package rank him among Australia's rugby players?

More than likely above matt dunning...don't tell him though :-X ;)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Spook said:
Sully said:
Found it!

relsom_getty_324003t.jpg

Ummm sully, how is this post any different to the one that started the thread? :nta: :mad: :)
Uhmm? I added a Picture? :-[

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Biffo said:
A little while back this board was redolent with statements such as "Rocky Who?" and "Who needs Rocky when we have Mumm, McMinimum and HigginBum?" :) Some appear to have changed their minds :lmao:

Mumm, McMinimum and HigginBum are all serviceable forwards but none of them is Rocky.

Exactly so. Sometimes the knockers are so convinced about their opinions that they feed off each other and the next thing you know this guy or that is a dud because the pack had it so. And when we read the opinons we hestitate to respond because we know that whatever we say will be ignored, because their blood is up.

None of those fellows you mention is a Rocky, but I thought that Oz would cover for him better than the Tahs could. Even so, Mowen stepped up for the Tahs after yours truly said that Mowen played a light game.

I can't think of any other nation that has the cover for blindside flanker that we have - not even the SAfricans, who are next best.

Praise be if we could say the same about our tighthead props.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
you never know, because Rocky is a Renaissance man and marches the the beat of a different drummer. It might appeal. But his girlfriend lives in Brisbane on the one hand - and he has the Tahs history on the other.

And he was born in Melbourne. Looks like the Ponies and the Farce are out of the race.

S

Spook

Lee Grant said:
Biffo said:

Exactly so. Sometimes the knockers are so convinced about their opinions that they feed off each other and the next thing you know this guy or that is a dud because the pack had it so. And when we read the opinons we hestitate to respond because we know that whatever we say will be ignored, because their blood is up.

None of those fellows you mention is a Rocky, but I thought that Oz would cover for him better than the Tahs could. Even so, Mowen stepped up for the Tahs after yours truly said that Mowen played a light game.

I can't think of any other nation that has the cover for blindside flanker that we have - not even the SAfricans, who are next best.

Praise be if we could say the same about our tighthead props.

3M is gone Lee.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Pretty big wraps from BOD:

Rocky's the best says O'Driscoll

Ireland captain Brian O'Driscoll said Rocky Elsom was the best player he played with after the Australia flanker's man-of-the-match display Leinster's European Cup final win over Leicester.

"I would say he's the best player I have ever played with and I have played with many good players," O'Driscoll, who also starred at Murrayfield here on Saturday, said of Elsom after the Irish province's 19-16 victory in their first European Cup final.

Elsom only joined the Irish province, where O'Driscoll has long been the key figure, at the start of the season yet such has been his form he is already being linked with an Australian Rugby Union inspired return home.

O'Driscoll, who this season led Ireland to the Six Nations Grand Slam - their first clean sweep in 61 years - has won 93 caps for his country and is about to embark on his third tour with the British and Irish Lions.

During the course of his career the 30-year-old centre has played with and against the best players of his generation.

But after a Leinster side routinely branded as under-achievers had won European club rugby union's greatest prize, he was in no doubt about the contribution of the 26-year-old Elsom.

It was Elsom's drive which led to Ireland back-row Jamie Heaslip's try early in the second-half which, together with Jonathan Sexton's conversion, tied the scores at 16-16 before the outside-half kicked the decisive penalty 11 minutes from time.

"Let's put it this way, we wouldn't have won the Heineken (European) Cup without Rocky Elsom," O'Driscoll said.

"He doesn't make many errors and his ball carrying is frightening.

"Irrespective of what happened today Rocky Elsom is the player of the Heineken (European) Cup and you saw the display he produced today, he is just a remarkable player," O'Driscoll insisted.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=817336

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'm not going to go back to the thread we started when Rocky was off to Europe discussing whether it would be good for him or not....... :-[

Status
Not open for further replies.