• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rocky on the way home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Good points on exposure TOCC. Brisbane has already become the league capital of the world, we don't want to give them anymore fuel.

F

formeropenside

TOCC said:
this is bullshit, honestly how the hell can this be right..

Something needs to be done, some kind of points system or salary cap style system to even out the playing field amongst provinces....

Otherwise, how they hell are the Reds ever supposed to get out of the rut they are in, players dont want to stay because they arent winning, but they wont win unless the players stay. Salary caps work fantastic in the NRL and AFL to avoid these types of issues.

Yeah the QRU are at fault for all this, if they didnt screw up so badly back in 2003-2007 then we wouldnt be in the situation they are in now, but i honestly believe they have turned there operations around and are now on the right path, but they need some help from the ARU to get out ot the rut they are in...

Otherwise, the Reds poor performances is going to lead to a decline in support for the code in the state, losing teams dont get exposure, without exposure there is less money for the game. Something needs to be done

Simple, scrap the Force.

I dont care for a salary cap, or draft, or anything of that nature.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
TOCC said:
this is bullshit, honestly how the hell can this be right..

Something needs to be done, some kind of points system or salary cap style system to even out the playing field amongst provinces....

Otherwise, how they hell are the Reds ever supposed to get out of the rut they are in, players dont want to stay because they arent winning, but they wont win unless the players stay. Salary caps work fantastic in the NRL and AFL to avoid these types of issues.

Yeah the QRU are at fault for all this, if they didnt screw up so badly back in 2003-2007 then we wouldnt be in the situation they are in now, but i honestly believe they have turned there operations around and are now on the right path, but they need some help from the ARU to get out ot the rut they are in...

Otherwise, the Reds poor performances is going to lead to a decline in support for the code in the state, losing teams dont get exposure, without exposure there is less money for the game. Something needs to be done

The bloke in your avatar seemed to think the QRU was still stuffing things up. As I have said to fos on the blog, the only way the QRU are going to turn things around is with a couple of follow-me kind of blokes in head office. Someone like Rocky mightn't be too bright but I'm sure he knows winners when he sees them.

Forget about the Force, that's ancient history.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Scarfman said:
The bloke in your avatar seemed to think the QRU was still stuffing things up. As I have said to fos on the blog, the only way the QRU are going to turn things around is with a couple of follow-me kind of blokes in head office. Someone like Rocky mightn't be too bright but I'm sure he knows winners when he sees them.

Forget about the Force, that's ancient history.

Yeah, the Force isn't going anywhere. Moving on is needed. The QRU should've learnt that something wasn't right with the apparent ease with which they took wanted Reds players - including the captain.

I'm worried about history repeating itself with the 15th Super franchise likely to be in Aus.

If Noddy, who has some knowledge about the inner workings of the QRU, is bearish on the future of the QRU/Reds with the current people in charge, then I am worried.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am sick of this will he /won't he saga with Rocky. I had to put up with it most of last year but I grinned and bared it as there was a chance he would stay in the tahs. No more I say. Rocky, sit down and sign or tell your story walking, but either way get it over and done with. You are not worthy of the amount of distraction this is causing the good and decent people in the Aus rugby community.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
mark_s said:
I am sick of this will he /won't he saga with Rocky. I had to put up with it most of last year but I grinned and bared it as there was a chance he would stay in the tahs. No more I say. Rocky, sit down and sign or tell your story walking, but either way get it over and done with. You are not worthy of the amount of distraction this is causing the good and decent people in the Aus rugby community.

Your anger is very misdirected. What has Rocky said that has distracted anyone? Try the media as the culprit.

F

formeropenside

It appears that if the Brumbies get Elsom, Chapman may well come back home (the leaving of which can be forgiven, since he left to get away from the mad Jones boy). In 06 and 07 I rated Chapman as near as good as Elsom, so one way or another some good may come of all this.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
formeropenside said:
It appears that if the Brumbies get Elsom, Chapman may well come back home (the leaving of which can be forgiven, since he left to get away from the mad Jones boy). In 06 and 07 I rated Chapman as near as good as Elsom, so one way or another some good may come of all this.

That would be good news for the Reds. I saw a lot of promise in Chapman and was disappointed in 2008 but he hasn't been so bad this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, that's not bad. But Elsom would have provided us that test hardened forward leader we are missing.

Wouldn't mind Salvi though. Even over Braid.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Biffo said:
formeropenside said:

That would be good news for the Reds. I saw a lot of promise in Chapman and was disappointed in 2008 but he hasn't been so bad this year.

Still think Higginbotham with more game time has great potential. Might need a new brain though, but he can play.

T

TOCC

This cant be blamed on the Force, the Force have been great for rugby in Australia, they have boosted exposure in Perth and now have a decent following over there..

What the Force did to QLD wasnt WARU's fault, they magnified the glaring cracks in the structure of the QRU at the time, the ARU was partly at fault for not coming up with a better recruiting plan but at the end of the day the QRU at the ones who ultimately failed..

All that is in the past though, whilst the current QRU organisation isnt perfect it is still a hell of a lot better then where they were in the first half of this decade.

Whilst im not a fan of running to the ARU, it appears to me that its the only realistic way to rescue the Reds unless a generous beneafactor comes along.

S

Spook

Noddy said:
yeah, that's not bad. But Elsom would have provided us that test hardened forward leader we are missing.

Wouldn't mind Salvi though. Even over Braid.

Reds went after Salvi last year and he said no. Not sure he'll go this time either.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I have heard from a pretty decent source who supposedly heard from an excellent source that he has signed with both the Brumbies and ARU for a base rate of a number between 699 and 701.

What price for Brumbies to be favourites next year?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That is too much imo. Better off taking $50-100k of that and giving it to Diggers. It is arguable as to whether he demands a starting spot (no in my opinion) and, even if he does, he is not significantly better than, for example, Mumm.

When does Lote's contract expire? That would free up some cash for the ARU.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cutter said:
That is too much imo. Better off taking $50-100k of that and giving it to Diggers. It is arguable as to whether he demands a starting spot (no in my opinion) and, even if he does, he is not significantly better than, for example, Mumm.

As has been said before, a fair bit of the money paid to guys like Lote, Giteau etc... comes from 3rd party sponsors, so no, it probably doesn't free up that much money. And it isn't for a couple of years anyway.
I think it's too much for ANYONE (700K) in our market.

T

TOCC

cyclopath said:
Cutter said:

As has been said before, a fair bit of the money paid to guys like Lote, Giteau etc... comes from 3rd party sponsors, so no, it probably doesn't free up that much money. And it isn't for a couple of years anyway.
I think it's too much for ANYONE (700K) in our market.

well actually it still does free up quite a bit, yes a lot of Lotes contract is from thirdparty, ironically a thirdparty who no longer sponsors rugby union anyway.

His base rate from the ARU would still be up around 700k from the rumours

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cutter said:
It is arguable as to whether he [Elsom] demands a starting spot (no in my opinion) and, even if he does, he is not significantly better than, for example, Mumm.

Some men in white coats are coming to see you. Please be nice to them. They will take you to a new home where you will be very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.