• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 2017 Rebels v Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was sort-of with you until the "Lance playing 10" comment. Until he got injured last year he was playing great and the Force looked a cut above where they finished. As soon as he went down their season was over. By the end of this season he could easily be our reserve test 10.

that proves my point!!
The implication of your comment - that Australia can't seem to grow good 10's - is 100% spot-on. Why NZ can and we can't is a riddle wrapped in a mystery. But, from the country that produced Ella and Larkham, its killing us that the top three NZ 10's are better than our top three and West, Black, Mo'unga and McKenzie are all coming through (plus there are several more Barratts). We have Hegarty and ??? and then we're back to U-20's.
I reckon all the starting 10s in NZ are better than nay of ours and i wouldn't mind betting some of the back ups are too - Colin Slade when backup to Carter would have been starting here for the Wobs.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
that proves my point!!
I reckon all the starting 10s in NZ are better than nay of ours and i wouldn't mind betting some of the back ups are too - Colin Slade when backup to Carter would have been starting here for the Wobs.
That's not unique to Australia.

Tactical preferences notwithstanding, I think that any of the 5 fly halves used since the 2011 World Cup (Carter, Cruden, Slade, Barrett and Sopoanga) would have been the starting fly half for any other nation from the time of their ABs debut onwards.

Maybe Sopoanga is pushing it, and Nations like South Africa and France wouldn't gamble on Barrett, but I certainly think so.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Rebels were pretty poor last night.

To write off and "bag" one's team after a shit performance is absolute rubbish. It's quite reasonable to express one's disappointment in the night's performance. The Rebels are better off if those types of "supporters" piss off and follow the only horse in a one horse race - then you'll be happy following the winner.

Loyalty in life (and even rugby) is everything. All clubs have a stalwart following with the fringe followers getting on board if the team is winning winning and winning.

The reds supporters have had it tough for a few years but those stalwarts are still supporting them. Hopefully 2017 may reward them (us) somewhat.

It'll turn for you guys in time.

What a load of drivel , are we not allowed to criticize the team now ?
This is a rugby forum not for school teachers to tell everyone it is ok to loose ,, It is "those types of supporters " as you put it who have a passion great enough to tell the team they need to wake up and do what they get paid for especially in front of home supporters .
The rugby the Rebels played last night was the same as a number of matches i went to last year and the year before ,, lot of promise but no cigar .
Its time to pay up and start winning or go home .

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
ok, my point of view.

Have I cooled off, not at all. Had a crap day at work today to make the pain rage some more.

1) TT, F@CK OFF, you were S@it at Munster taking over the European Cahmps and missing the playoffs, the Rebels have given you more than enough time to prove you are useless. How he still has a job under private ownership? when he was a ARU hand me down when they took control.

2) Lineouts, I ain't blaming the hooker any more. For years it's always to Hooker getting the blame when even with Hanson last season our line out sucked. It's second row that needs a good kick up the backside.

3) Heart, better find some. That was poor, really poor. Reminded me of 2011 when we stood no chance in games.

4) 10?????? Wish we still had Mike H, Woody or Bryce even more after last night.

5) Crowd - Good turn out for a Thursday night with no PR about the return of Rugby in Melbourne once again. Good to see they have closed the top at one side to manage resources a little better.

6) AAMI Park, Tex mentioned it early that the sound was way to loud and always speaks at the wrong F@cking time. (PS Don't get the lamb kebab, misses was starving and is still sick now from it)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

Brilliant.

My response (hi Rebels staff!):

My criticisms are largely focused on the PA system volume (i.e. stupidly loud), the ground announcer (i.e. stupidly loud, inappropriate timing and inane chatter adding zilch to the atmosphere) and the timing of music etc.

I've attended almost every Rebels home game since 2011. The crowd is your asset - they get behind the team (when it's warranted) and lift the roof off. Ground announcers yelling at the crowd DURING THE PLAY is a sin on so many levels. Don't exhort the crowd to cheer; the crowd is largely knowledgeable and actively supports the team. We don't need a non-rugby boof head drowning out all of the good contributions from the paying guests.

It's like bloody channel nine back when Eddy McGuire didn't understand the meaning of the word 'overexposure'; too much self-aggrandising microphone abuse with a net result of drowning out your own fans. It's an incredible own goal.

In summary: 1. We're there as paying members and guests to watch the rugby. Serve it to us on a platter, stand back and let us enjoy. 2. Make sure the PA system isn't set to 11. 3. Sit old mate ground announcer down with his own video review session and look at tapes of Richie Benaud commentating cricket - silence is golden, actions speak louder than words. 4. Tell Ben Meehan to cut his hair. Thanks, appreciate the opportunity to feedback.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brilliant.

My criticisms are largely focused on the PA system volume (i.e. stupidly loud), the ground announcer (i.e. stupidly loud, inappropriate timing and inane chatter adding zilch to the atmosphere) and the timing of music etc.

I've attended almost every Rebels home game since 2011. The crowd is your asset - they get behind the team (when it's warranted) and lift the roof off. Ground announcers yelling at the crowd DURING THE PLAY is a sin on so many levels. Don't exhort the crowd to cheer; the crowd is largely knowledgeable and actively supports the team. We don't need a non-rugby boof head drowning out all of the good contributions from the paying guests.

It's like bloody channel nine back when Eddy McGuire didn't understand the meaning of the word 'overexposure'; too much self-aggrandising microphone abuse with a net result of drowning out your own fans. It's an incredible own goal.

In summary: 1. We're there as paying members and guests to watch the rugby. Serve it to us on a platter, stand back and let us enjoy. 2. Make sure the PA system isn't set to 11. 3. Sit old mate ground announcer down with his own video review session and look at tapes of Richie Benaud commentating cricket - silence is golden, actions speak louder than words. 4. Tell Ben Meehan to cut his hair. Thanks, appreciate the opportunity to feedback.
Nicely put, but please, leave Ben's hair - as bad as it is, cutting it may take his strength... like Samson!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Brilliant.

Very similar to my reply except i said the announcer really should STFU and i didnt mention Bens hair which is similar to mine

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
All I can say is that you guys aren't children. Children like pop music and hype-men announcers.

Engaging children is the future of the game.

If you like rugby, it's very easy to tune it out and just watch the game.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^So true!

I recall being dragged out to Penriff a few years ago for an NRL game.
I watched with interest a team of girls doing surveys.
They had a laser focus on the 12-18 age group.
Match day atmosphere is designed to meet their requirements not 40+ adults.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
All I can say to a few of you is "give yourself an uppercut"

There is nothing wrong in being critical of your team but probably should be kept in some type of perspective.

Maybe calling yourself a "supporter" is far fetched, "spoiler" may be more appropriate.

Have a great day:)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Criticism of your team or any team is perfectly valid.

The main reason to make it constructive is that the rest of us have to read it.

If you want to have a meaningless rant, post it on the match review thread on the front page for the peanut gallery :D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
be that as it may, engaging with children is one thing, inane too loud head banging noise and ill educated, ill informed ground announcers is another. the drums and the gymnasts i love, the original pre-game group in dirndle skirts i absolutely loathed and WTF was that "dance" troup doing before kick off on thursday ? the player fan interaction after the game and on the forecourt beforehand is tremendous (not in a Trump way !). i understand the reasoning, but a bit like the on field stuff, for me the execution leaves a lot to be desired. and its the 40+ adults that have been the original and continuing members. most kids come to Rugby because of their family connection not from a pro mo or half time razzamatazz, and in this state its always likely to be the case. and when the actual rugby being played by the home team is not that great to watch, the off field stuff is just adding to the misery.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
be that as it may, engaging with children is one thing, inane too loud head banging noise and ill educated, ill informed ground announcers is another. the drums and the gymnasts i love, the original pre-game group in dirndle skirts i absolutely loathed and WTF was that "dance" troup doing before kick off on thursday ? the player fan interaction after the game and on the forecourt beforehand is tremendous (not in a Trump way !). i understand the reasoning, but a bit like the on field stuff, for me the execution leaves a lot to be desired. and its the 40+ adults that have been the original and continuing members. most kids come to Rugby because of their family connection not from a pro mo or half time razzamatazz, and in this state its always likely to be the case. and when the actual rugby being played by the home team is not that great to watch, the off field stuff is just adding to the misery.
I don't disagree with you.
But it seems that you and I are invisible to the marketing people.
Maybe they think we'll go regardless.
But I have no doubt it's the kids that all of the codes are are spending all their efforts to attract to game days.
we might fund the kids, but we don't choose what music they buy,or what movies they see,or what clothes they buy with our cash.
So it seems that our priorities are not their priorities.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Meanwhile, back to the rugby. If I can add my 2 cents' worth:
  • It would seem the Rebels need their best 20 players on deck to be competitive. Why there are so many injured is, surely, a major concern. I'd wager the S&C team have been put on notice and there'll be major changes next year.
  • The Kiwi five-eight looked to carrying too much condition and floated out of the game as it progressed.
  • Fix the lineouts. Quickly.
  • REID SHOULD NEVER SEAGULL!
  • The ground surface was excellent. Well done, AAMI ground staff.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
All I can say to a few of you is "give yourself an uppercut"

There is nothing wrong in being critical of your team but probably should be kept in some type of perspective.

Maybe calling yourself a "supporter" is far fetched, "spoiler" may be more appropriate.

Have a great day:)

Oh wise one, deign to reveal to us mere mortals the acceptable way to separate "being critical", "supporting", "spoiling" and "keeping it in perspective". Please.

Re. points about Reid seagulling: 100% agree.

On not being children, also agree. Tough balance for clubs to tread, particularly those operating in a market as tough as Melbourne. Gotta keep the kids engaged but not in a way that pushes parents (i.e. the wallets) to the AFL/AFLW/netball/bball/etc/etc.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't really get the comments about Reid seagulling. I agree completely his game isn't designed for him to play in that wide channel but neither is Fainga'a and that was the problem. One of them needed to be out there.

The overwhelming majority of teams are playing this sort of zone structure in general play with a back rower in each wide channel and one in the middle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gotta keep the kids engaged but not in a way that pushes parents (i.e. the wallets) to the AFL/AFLW/netball/bball/etc/etc.

AFLW crowds are just a bunch of hipsters smashing beers. I don't know that it's in the same marketplace.

A bit of fun on a Sunday afternoon though!

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah not a clear competitor but you get the gist! And cheers to full strength tinnies at VFL grounds!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.