• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 2017 Rebels v Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I don't really get the comments about Reid seagulling. I agree completely his game isn't designed for him to play in that wide channel but neither is Fainga'a and that was the problem. One of them needed to be out there.

The overwhelming majority of teams are playing this sort of zone structure in general play with a back rower in each wide channel and one in the middle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Seagulling = opportunistic play out wide yeah? If so I agree with you - he's playing the role assigned to the position and when McMahon resumes he'll be better suited to it.

Jordy also was on the end of some poor passes. Made to look clumsy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seagulling = opportunistic play out wide yeah?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

It's harking back to days past where forwards largely followed the ball and were generally out of position and being lazy when found out wide amongst the backs.

Clearly it is an integral part of modern rugby and they're all expected to be ball players as well as being in position to secure attacking breakdowns.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah not a clear competitor but you get the gist! And cheers to full strength tinnies at VFL grounds!

Full strength = good but tinnies? WTF? You can't grow good beer inside aluminium (or clear glass for that matter, gotta be green or at least brown) and if anything it's probably worse than plastic, at least these days it doesn't taste funny like it used to. Tinnies = bogan in my experience.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Full strength = good but tinnies? WTF? You can't grow good beer inside aluminium (or clear glass for that matter, gotta be green or at least brown) and if anything it's probably worse than plastic, at least these days it doesn't taste funny like it used to. Tinnies = bogan in my experience.
They're good if the beer inside is. They're having a resurgence as they are cheaper, chill faster and last longer.

Craft beer brewers are using them more and more.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I like drinking my beer out of a glass.

Regardless, the problem is that we, like most teams, were trying to run the 1 - 3 - 3 - 1 pod set up of forwards. Typically the widest players are two backrowers, in our best side, probably Mafi on one and McMahon on the other. With McMahon out, my choice would have been Timani, but if he went wide, no one would be able to provide that gain line grunt in the midfield, and clearly Reid was chosen as he's the bigger body out of him and Colby.

That didn't work, so I'd like to see Timani do it if Jeffries is back.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
All I can say is that you guys aren't children. Children like pop music and hype-men announcers.

Engaging children is the future of the game.

If you like rugby, it's very easy to tune it out and just watch the game.
Sorry but amirite is right in that to.attract new breed of fans requires entertainment built around core product. Got to expect a balance as older fans might see the need but this is to make appealing to wider audience

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Meanwhile, back to the rugby. If I can add my 2 cents' worth:
  • It would seem the Rebels need their best 20 players on deck to be competitive. Why there are so many injured is, surely, a major concern. I'd wager the S&C team have been put on notice and there'll be major changes next year.
  • The Kiwi five-eight looked to carrying too much condition and floated out of the game as it progressed.
  • Fix the lineouts. Quickly.
  • REID SHOULD NEVER SEAGULL!
  • The ground surface was excellent. Well done, AAMI ground staff.
Injuries aside I always had concerns on weak areas in their roster. There backline is a case in point. Glaring weaknesses in halves, centre and fullback options and proven high quality rugby talent brought into breach those gaps? I can hear the silence!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They're good if the beer inside is. They're having a resurgence as they are cheaper, chill faster and last longer.

Craft beer brewers are using them more and more.

The misconception that tinnies are a lesser beer is great for house parties as my beers no longer get stolen, and also because my six pack of Pirate's Life gets mistaken for UDL's.........

Status
Not open for further replies.