• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 - Reds vs Sharks, Suncorp Stadium, Friday 24th February @ 8:00pm AEDT (7:00pm AEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
How they set up the bench this year will be of interest. The forwards mostly select themselves with like for like replacements (or close enough) is a lot of positions but in the backs it all centres around what positions do we think Duncan can cover and how well?

Because if you consider him great cover for 10, and adequate cover for 15 then you play a bench of
21. Tuttle
22. Taefu (a big 12 and another goal kicker)
23. Outside back (Kuridrani, Magnay, Maranta, Perese depending on who starts)
This would be my preference.

if Duncan can only cover EITHER 10 or 15 but not both then you must include either Mcintyre or Maranta/Ngamanu on the bench. In this scenario it seems to me that the Reds erred in taking Ngamanu (undoubtedly talented but very raw) or even over the more experienced/ready for Super Rugby Banks (on a full contract, this is why he left).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It will be interesting to see how Stiles manages his bench players. Most are a distance from the starters whether in talent, age, legs etc etc.

This is a must win game (IMO) so he may run the starters for longer than most coaches do (barring injury). The only exceptions to that would be Ready at say 50 and Smith and Houston at say 60.

Suppose it will ultimately depend on the scoreboard.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Sharks have a very good forwards roster to choose from.SOme really exciting young talent in du Toit and the du Preez brothers.

Centres are a bunch of newbies.

Hired a frog who should be retired at 15.

New coach who talks up a more dynamic game plan.

Have absolutely no idea what to expect. Not a clue.

Reds look way more experienced and settled. That looks like a very good pack but their problems might come when there are injuries. The backups in almost all positions expect back row are largely unproven at this level. Keep the starting 8 fit and this team could go to the last four. Lose some starters in the pack and things could get hard. Which Quade will turn up? Can he be consistent?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^
Valid points
My issue with Quade since 2011 has been exactly what you say.

Consistency

Reds season is largely dependant upon what QC (Quade Cooper) brings week in week out. There are no excuses for the man. He is 27 or 28 with a wealth of experience at all levels. The Reds forwards should give him plenty of front foot ball so it really is time for Quade to Stand and Deliver.

A good season for him brings higher honours.

T

TOCC

How they set up the bench this year will be of interest. The forwards mostly select themselves with like for like replacements (or close enough) is a lot of positions but in the backs it all centres around what positions do we think Duncan can cover and how well?

Because if you consider him great cover for 10, and adequate cover for 15 then you play a bench of
21. Tuttle
22. Taefu (a big 12 and another goal kicker)
23. Outside back (Kuridrani, Magnay, Maranta, Perese depending on who starts)
This would be my preference.

if Duncan can only cover EITHER 10 or 15 but not both then you must include either Mcintyre or Maranta/Ngamanu on the bench. In this scenario it seems to me that the Reds erred in taking Ngamanu (undoubtedly talented but very raw) or even over the more experienced/ready for Super Rugby Banks (on a full contract, this is why he left).

Quade will play 70-80mins a game unless injured...

I don't think you can carry Jake just in case QC (Quade Cooper) he gets injured, I think within the backline they have a decent layer of back up should Quade not play the whole 80. Duncan, Hunt or Frisby are equal to Jakes contribution at 10.

21. Halfback
22. Inside back
23. Outside back

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Quade will play 70-80mins a game unless injured.

I don't think you can carry Jake just in case QC (Quade Cooper) he gets injured, I think within the backline they have a decent layer of back up should Quade not play the whole 80. Duncan, Hunt or Frisby are equal to Jakes contribution at 10.

21. Halfback
22. Inside back
23. Outside back

Yeah I agree, Jake brings little into the game as a replacement so would be purely injury cover.

Tuttle
Taefu
Magnay (if fit) or Perese/Kuridrani

Would be how I would do it

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sharks have beaten Cheetahs 37-5 and the Bulls XV 53-7 in their 2 pre-season trial matches and have 10 test players in their touring squad for Australia.

The Bulls XV appears to have been the blokes left behind in SA who did not travel to Brisbane. Not so much second string so much as the extended group. Impressive by a full strength Sharks all the same.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I expect we'll see just how well the Sharks transition to flowing rugby. They've only had the two trials and the last against ordinary opposition. I'd treat it more as a contested run.

It's crunch time for the Reds - time to prove this scrum. Time to have that line out polished. Time for our locks to show performance on the park. Loosies, hell guys, be good or go to the back of the list!

I'm looking for a possession based game in the forwards which gives the the "triple fly" (first fly Quade; second fly Duncan; third fly Hunt!) the opportunity to express and risk.

Dont care about the scoreboard other than a win. 1 point is fine. But I want to see those piggies give the backs their chance. 2017 to be a return to "fortress Brisbane" and about time after years in the pointless wilderness.

You lucky lucky bastards in Brisbane who can go to the game. Think about your poor brothers in Mexico trying, just trying, to work out the overlaps on TV.

:D:D:D

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm looking for a possession based game in the forwards which gives the the "triple fly" (first fly Quade; second fly Duncan; third fly Hunt!) the opportunity to express and risk.

Hopefully that works out for your lot a bit better than the Brumbies' "tri-half" setup (Gits, Lealiifano & To'omua) in 2011

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
It's crunch time for the Reds - time to prove this scrum. Time to have that line out polished. Time for our locks to show performance on the park. Loosies, hell guys, be good or go to the back of the list!

First game of the season and already "crunch time"... sheesh

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Saying it's crunch time before the start of round 1 is probably a bit over the top but I really hope the boys have that mentality straight out of the gate anyway.

It's Super Rugby. As far as I'm concerned it's always crunch time for every team. It's a bloody tough comp.

The last few years (S15-S18) the contenders at the end of the regular season were on 4 losses or less roughly. I'm talking about the top 3 or 4 teams here. In 2014 the Highlanders snuck into the the playoffs with an even win/loss record but they had 10 BP's (5 losing + 5 4-try) to help them. We need to be targeting all of our home games to win and also win half of the away games or better. So yeah, crunch time.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Adding to my last post, I think a first up home win will be massive for the support base. If the Reds can put on a show that brings the fans back through the turnstiles en masse, then this will only help them in later rounds having the crowd making heaps of noise at home!

Sure there may not be a lot to lose in round one but there is a fair bit to gain out of this one if the boys are good enough.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Jeez, we don't like "crunch time"? Crumbs, some are sensitive.

Wasnt trying to suggest otherwise its over, just time to step up. Its the start of the season.

T

TOCC

Jim Tucker suggest Korczyk to start at 6

Reds starting XV
K Hunt,
E Nabuli,
S Kerevi,
D Paia’aua,
C Kuridrani,
Q Cooper,
N Frisby,
S Higginbotham,
A Korczyk,
G Smith,
R Simmons,
K Douglas,
J Slipper (c),
S Moore,
S Talakai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@TOCC I'd like to see Korczyk start at 6. In your list, Higgs 8 and Sith 7, I presume?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Well if anyone knows it's Jim. Interesting choice with the guys available.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It'll be a strong back row if Korzyck and Smith can sync up and not overlap too much of their duties. Tui will do damage to tired players, he's one of those players that I'd have no issues calling "finisher" and not "bench".

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
There was a murmur somewhere the other day that Higgers may have some sort of back complaint? Jim Tucker is usually pretty well informed so I'm going to take my extra long bow and conclude that Higgers is fit and raring to go then!

Status
Not open for further replies.