• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 - Waratahs vs Hurricanes @ Brookvale - Saturday 16 February 2019

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well as a Canes man, have to say I happy with that win, Canes pack needs some grunt in the tight, but by f*** Ardie Savea was tearing up everything in sight, geez I hope he keeps that up. You could see apart from Ardie that ABs were in their first game, Laumape took until halftime to get going, and TJP was not real fluid early, but was bloody impressed he went to 10, and they won with him there. Tahs fans would be a bit disappointed, not sure if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) looked like he will add an awful lot, but in general they just were not quite on it I thought. Oh and by the way Folau still cannot pass left to right with confidence!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’m not convinced Adam Ashley Cooper is up to Super Rugby anymore, might be a handy player to provide depth, but not sure he should be in the starting xv

Maybe, but he's probably going to the Wallaby 13 at the RWC.............

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sometimes I think the best way to make the world a happier place would be to round up every Waratahs fan and toss them into the ocean.

Seriously, this thread is just insufferable misery. Y'all need to find a pastime you like, because you sure seem to hate rugby.

They've (the Tahs) still got the one fan who counts most. Happens to be the national coach.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not much good can be said of that game. Horrorcanes were simply dreadful. I've never seen Jordie Barrett have such a shocker. Tahs showed very little in attack. Holloway was a stand out best player for them.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not much good can be said of that game. Horrorcanes were simply dreadful. I've never seen Jordie Barrett have such a shocker. Tahs showed very little in attack. Holloway was a stand out best player for them.

He was terrific, from what I saw (just the last 30 or so). I thought Khunt was pretty good too.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hunt was better than I expected, but was being used mostly as a crash ball No 12. Did get over the gain line consistently, but everyone does against Laumape. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was out of his depth.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
The 'defensive' centre pairing actually worked really well and shut down the Canes centres, it's pretty rare to see the Canes backs so quiet. When Perenara had to shift to flyhalf and the Tahs were ahead I thought that'd be the game for sure.

But the Tahs just shat the bed and gifted it to them. Poor handling, endless penalties, Hanigan is completely ineffectual. With Dempsey and Holloway both fit I don't know why you'd play him at all.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Holloway has really come on as a lock. It is notable that he took several line out steals last night given some have suggested his height will hold him back from higher duties. Hunt was a bit ineffectual early - fell off a few tackles he should have made, but got better as the game went on. Hooper was good - in everything, and made some telling tackles. I fear though his body will be a shrivelled mess by the end of his career - worn down by carrying his teammates.

The Tahs execution wasn't great at times, and Latu clearly hasn't spent the offseason practicing his line out throws - but gee the penalties were by far the biggest frustration for me. So many were just pointless and to give multiple penalities for packing early was just idiotic. The Tahs weren't great, but they could have snuck a win if they just showed some level of composure.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Plenty to be unhappy about, but first game, lost by 1 point to a genuine Super rugby heavyweight and could just as easily have won. A lot of so-called fans on here will only ever be happy if we beat everybody.

Defence was very much improved, and against a very powerful centre pairing, and I thought the run-on pack was perfectly competitive at the set piece. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) really stepped up, Holloway and Hooper were very good, as was Hunt. And while it's popular to trash Foley for his defence, they ran big guys at him all night and I think he only missed one.
The negatives were way too many soft penalties to the Canes, a lack of creativity in attack, and too many handling errors. Folau in particular was a real mix of good and bad. Latu, for all his talent, can be a nett liability with his poor line-out throws and penalties.

Beale is a real conundrum. With the centre pairing last night we were really solid in defence, but lacked that creative spark Beale brings. I agree with many here, bring him back at 15 and shift Folau to the wing. As to Foley's missed goal, the guy kicked 5 from 6, including one from the sideline, any side in the world would be happy to have a kicker at that level. It wasn't right in front or that close, but I guess you guys are all Jonny Wilkinson! That didn't lose us the match, it was marching the Canes up into our 22 with repeated penalties that lost us the match.

On the repeated penalties for going early in the scrum, what you had there was a young, inexperienced prop (Talakai) trying desperately to get the first shove, and an experienced prop just pulling back a bit so the young guy falls forward. Hopefully he learns from that.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) really stepped up

On the repeated penalties for going early in the scrum, what you had there was a young, inexperienced prop (Talakai) trying desperately to get the first shove, and an experienced prop just pulling back a bit so the young guy falls forward. Hopefully he learns from that.
I missed HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) above. You are right - that was a very impressive showing from a young bloke stepping up.

I get what you say about Talakai - but he doesn't get the play super rugby without being aware that the opposition is going to throw some stuff at him. To get caught 3 times in a row was a bit poor. But, anyway, he now has his first game out of the way and he did demonstrate when he can get the engagement right he can scrum. Deserves credit for his part in winning the penalty that could have won the game. Hopefully he goes on frm here.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I just watched the game and I thought it was an entertaining and even match up. Both teams were a bit rusty and there's room for plenty of improvement but I really don't get the fairweather 'fans' who just want to jump on here and put the boot into the Tahs for absolutely every fucking thing. That's different to constructive criticism of course.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I just watched the game and I thought it was an entertaining and even match up. Both teams were a bit rusty and there's room for plenty of improvement but I really don't get the fairweather 'fans' who just want to jump on here and put the boot into the Tahs for absolutely every fucking thing. That's different to constructive criticism of course.
Exactly. If they kicked the goal and won it still wouldn’t have been enough. A first round 1 point loss to a strong Kiwi team was unfortunate but fuck I’m over all the excessive negativity. It’s a long season, get over it

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Foley missing that kick was also inexcusable. The bloke seems to be low on confidence at the worst time possible. Ever heard of Quade Cooper? Christian Lealiifano? Better sort your act out m80 or you’ll be sitting out come the RWC. Jesus Christ. As my old man used to say: “I could’ve gotten that one”.
has Cheika quit?

no way he is not starting at the world cup