1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 1 - Waratahs vs Hurricanes @ Brookvale - Saturday 16 February 2019

Discussion in 'Rugby Matches' started by Braveheart81, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

So the biggest question for the Tahs is whether the front row reserves will be able to hold their own.

I expect a lineup like:

Johnson-Holmes
    Latu
    Kepu
    Simmons
    Holloway
    Hanigan
    Hooper (c)
    Dempsey
    Phipps
    Foley
    Newsome
    Beale
    AAC
    Rona
    Folau

Fitzpatrick (or Sauni if he's still injured), Talakai, Walker?, Staniforth, Miller, Gordon, Mason, Hunt
    RebelYell likes this.
  2. TheNude Bob McCowan (2)

Questions for me are:

1. How match ready are the Wallabies? How do they line up in the backs.
    2. Has Gibson forgiven Latu?
    3. Who's the first choice 9
    I'm looking forward to the game (if only to get Brookvale over and done with for the season)
  3. Froggy Syd Malcolm (24)

Phipps unavailable, so Gordon will start with Short on the bench. Staniforth also injured, so possibly Roets on the bench.
    I think the rest will be right BH, although personally I would have Hunt starting at 12, Beale at 15 and Folau on the wing with Newsome to the bench.
    Derpus, Braveheart81 and Hawko like this.
  4. Derpus John Thornett (49)

Hard to look past the Canes for this one. If Gibson is serious about improving our defence then i'd definitely be looking to start Hunt at 12.

Latu also has to be starting this year, because he's the best Hooker in Aus when hes not busy getting himself sent off.
  5. fatprop Tim Horan (67)

Latu hopefully is doing many extras on his throwing
    Derpus likes this.
  6. waiopehu oldboy Rod McCall (65)

7. Dan54 Geoff Shaw (53)

Geez ,I hope the Canes can win enough ball with their shortage of locks!!
  8. Up the Guts Peter Fenwicke (45)

Hope Hunt is at 12 or Laumape will run riot. Trying to hide Beale on the wing might not work too well either if BLam sees a lot of ball.

Edit: seems I’m out of the loop and Beale is starting off the bench, nice to at least have some depth in the backline.
  9. waiopehu oldboy Rod McCall (65)

^ damn, I was looking forward to Laumape targeting the 10/12 channel & Lam going one-on-one with your 15...
  10. Derpus John Thornett (49)

Where it say this?
  11. Up the Guts Peter Fenwicke (45)

12. Brumby Runner Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Lausi Taliauli went straight over the top of Hunt to score in the trial. I don't see Laumape being easily stopped no matter who plays 12 for the Tahs.
  13. Bandar Larry Dwyer (12)

I know - Hunt's defense has really dropped off since he started wearing sky blue.
  14. fatprop Tim Horan (67)

And? Hunt is still the best option and a great, angry defender
  15. RugbyReg Phil Waugh (73)

it was 68% during the NRC.
  16. Dan54 Geoff Shaw (53)

Damn!! I getting excited, Rugby is starting again!! I know ,I know it's super rugby, and there are a shit load on here are very much anti super rugby, but bugger you all ,I love it and bring it on!!
    The Pirate, Scoey, TSR and 3 others like this.
  17. Derpus John Thornett (49)

Far more enjoyable than watching the Wallabies lose week in, week out. I can't wait either.
    Dan54 likes this.
  18. dru Tony Shaw (54)

We can be excited and still think Super is the shit-stick for Aus rugby. Very much looking forward to the rugby starting.
    I like to watch and Dan54 like this.
  19. Brumby Runner Nick Farr-Jones (63)

My issues with Hunt as a defender go back to his Reds/Wallabies days. I have seen him make some very embarrassing misses in the past.

Nevertheless, as FP says, he is probably still the best option for the Tahs. Certainly a big step up on Beale.
  20. Rugbynutter39 Jim Lenehan (48)

Is Hunt Wallabies material.don't know but is he Super Rugby material.for sure.and anybody disagreeing with latter got rocks in their head imho.

Very happy to have hunt and his utility value is unquestioned but would equally be happy if he plays well enough to be always first choice for a starting position....win win regardless

I don't think any side would be unhappy having Hunt on their roster on player ability..personal matters and past issues aside..
    The Pirate and dru like this.