• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 14 - Waratahs v Highlanders @ SFS - Saturday 19 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ agree with discounting say 25% for pleading guilty & not wasting everyone's time but that's all. Remorse? Who cares if he's truly, deeply sorry & pinky-promises not to do it again. Clean record? So what - add weeks for previous form but if you're gunna take weeks off then the clean record needs to be measurable in years not weeks (third match at this level, I believe).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess it comes down to how long you think people should be suspended.

Should Nabura have got 8 or 12 weeks? He deserved a long suspension but 6 weeks is a pretty long suspension. That's more than a third of the Super Rugby season and 20-25% of the games he might play in a given year.

The suspensions in the regulation are pretty long in my view if you aren't given some sort of reduction off them. I tend to think the way it works now is more practical. If you ramped up suspensions I think you'd go back towards the old ways where everything but the most heinous actions escaped suspension.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^ in the case of low- and mid-range offences maybe the discount for a guilty plea could be upped to 1/3 but if we're serious about getting rid of high-range stuff like kicking someone in the face (or forearming them in the throats for that matter) I think 50% is way too much esp as it's at least partly given for reasons that aren't relevant.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think a big part of the issue with Moody for example is that the penalties for that aren't harsh enough.

2 for low end, 4 for mid and 6 for high aren't enough, especially considering dangerous high tackles have longer suspensions.

It wasn't a high end offence (let's assume that is when someone king hits someone else).

My take is a mid range offence for striking should be at least as high as a dangerous tackle and possibly higher. It is very clear that any mid range and higher striking offence is going to be a deliberate action.

Most people are going to look at the Moody example and the Arnold one and suggest that Moody deserves a longer suspension but the guidelines have it as only being 2/3 as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.