• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2 - Reds vs Highlanders at Forsyth Barr

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yes, I do love this side.

I'd have McDermott starting for sure and have a preference for Daugunu over CFS, but can understand that decision.

Higgers' omission (he's fit apparently) is surprising but a good one. That's a very good back row. Higgers still looks like its an effort for him to run. He'll play in spurts this year I'd imagine, his last in Australian Rugby.

Fotuaika's selection is very well deserved. When his signing was announced I wrote him off as over weight and unlikely to be considered. But he's unrecogniseable now and has worked his literal arse off. He was very good in the last trial and deserves to start with JP out, and ahead of Hoopert.

The rookies on the bench are surprising but who else are the options? Korczyk has been tried and is only just steady. Higgers seemingly not in favour. As for back options, Jack Hardy looked really good and could have come close but Daugunu as well, although he's only a winger. Lucas a very capable finisher.

Still, Highlanders by at least 8.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Sam Phillips on Twitter:

Hearing there will be some big surprises in the Reds 23 tomorrow at 10, 12 and 15.

One 2018 regular tipped to be left out of the 23 altogether.

#HIGvRED

If so, then McKay appears to be having an influence on the team make up

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Completely agree with your assessment Reg. The omission of Higgers worries me though.

We are seriously lacking in experience across the park and I reckon we will see that cost us on a few occasions this season. I really hope I'm wrong though. Crazy how this time last year we had 350+ caps in four forwards and we have 143 caps in this entire starting pack. Obviously it's important to balance youth and experience but I just worry we are just two green at the moment.

EDIT: This time last year we had one player that had more caps than this weekends entire starting forward pack.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Daugunu would have given the addition of another goal kicking option, from memory he was pretty good at that. Interesting that Sorovi gets the start at 9, all the reports I saw from the trials seemed to suggest that Tate improved things, still Sorovi always seemed pretty capable and a strong runner. Forwards look strong - what's the word on Higgers? From 2018 captain to not being selected in the squad suggests some falling out or real drop in ability.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Completely agree with your assessment Reg. The omission of Higgers worries me though.

We are seriously lacking in experience across the park and I reckon we will see that cost us on a few occasions this season. I really hope I'm wrong though. Crazy how this time last year we had 350+ caps in four forwards and we have 143 caps in this entire starting pack. Obviously it's important to balance youth and experience but I just worry we are just two green at the moment.

EDIT: This time last year we had one player that had more caps than this weekends entire starting forward pack.

There's nothing like a new engine to get the car revving - come on the Reds.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
That pack will be the best pack in Australia, if not already it will be by seasons end. It looks nasty with plenty of guys that stick their heads in the wrong spot with a few guys that have the ability to leave many a body bruised and bashed. There will be the potential to build some intimidation factor for opposition sides knowing they will be going to war, something i don't think any Australian side has had for a while. Probably just missing a genuine link player but Timu has shown some ability to hit the channels and support a player once their hands are free.

Backline is fairly solid, key for them is knowing their limitations and not over playing their hand. This will also keep the pressure down on Stewart, who i dont overly think is the most natural of distributors and let him build his skill set with experience. Currently i think he'd be a better fit as a 12 than 10, but plenty of potential to build into one.

Reactions: dru

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
If Daugunu is out of contention, love to see him head to the Aussie 7s!!!

As for Higgers, he remains one of the best backrowers in Australia; I think he might be under a minor injury cloud.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If Daugunu is out of contention, love to see him head to the Aussie 7s!!!

As for Higgers, he remains one of the best backrowers in Australia; I think he might be under a minor injury cloud.

Daugunu isn't out of contention. He'll be back starting when CFS is injured in a few weeks time.

I can't say I agree with you about Higgers. His best years are certainly passed him.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Daugunu isn't out of contention. He'll be back starting when CFS is injured in a few weeks time.

I hope for his sake that you're not right about him being injured but his history on this is not good. Has he ever got through a season without missing a large amount of games due to injury?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
happy to see Petaia at 13. It’ll test him, no doubt - but he looks a natural fit there for me and to have good skills to position his winger on top of his excellent defence. He is still so young, so I’ll temper my expectations but I have been very impressed to date.

The ommission of Higgers surprises me - but I like Scott-Young so I’m keen to see him lay down a marker for his spot.

Haven’t seen much of Lucas but everything I’ve heard impressed me. Keen to see him have a crack.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stewart get's 12/10 for effort on the field. He has an excellent pass and can kick very well in play. His defense is generally impressive, the bloke has enough bottle to front a rampaging prop/lock in the D line. What I don't like is his ability to guide the team around the park and at game play. He spends too much time with his head stuck in rucks, which is no doubt impressive for a 10 - but not the day job. His work in play making seems related largely to set piece, perhaps Jim will see improvements with that in mind.

I'm completely comfortable with Stewart at Super Rugby level and count him as an impressive player. Just not an impressive 10. The discussion of possibly shifting him to 12 remains interesting. He is not however imo ahead of his peers who include Mounga, McKenzie, Jantjies, Barrett etc.

I’ve seen you mention this ‘too much time with his head stuck in the ruck’ a number of times, I must admit that during the NRC I didn’t see any real evidence that reflects this.

‘Peers’ is in reference to players within his age group and country, naturally older players like all those you mentioned should be better through greater exposure to professionalism and experience. Hence my comment, it’s easy to forget how young some of these guys are.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Good team, disappointed Duncan isnt starting but that would have been the backline I would have finished the game with if Duncan had started. Looks like they'll do it then other way around.

Happy with all except no Higgers. I saw 1 trial v a poor NZ team and he was the only one getting over the advantage line consistently. I think he still has a heap to offer qld and OZ rugga. Hope he isn't on the outer.

Will be interested to see how Lucas goes at this level. He has always been touted as the best of the of the family which is a big call as they're all handy players in their own way. Go well young lad.

Red Red Red

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’ve seen you mention this ‘too much time with his head stuck in the ruck’ a number of times, I must admit that during the NRC I didn’t see any real evidence that reflects this.

‘Peers’ is in reference to players within his age group and country, naturally older players like all those you mentioned should be better through greater exposure to professionalism and experience. Hence my comment, it’s easy to forget how young some of these guys are.

You’ve got his peers wrong, Stewart, accolades to the bloke, changed this when he got a 23 squad let alone a starting jersey. And you can’t be watching the same rugby I am.

Stewart is not (or has not been) a great Super 10. Maybe it will happen. I’m keen to see how Jim has impacted this. It doesnt mean he doesn’t have talent, or isn’t the best 10 the Reds have etc. let’s see in game 1 how he shapes up.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You’ve got his peers wrong, Stewart, accolades to the bloke, changed this when he got a 23 squad let alone a starting jersey. And you can’t be watching the same rugby I am.

Stewart is not (or has not been) a great Super 10. Maybe it will happen. I’m keen to see how Jim has impacted this. It doesnt mean he doesn’t have talent, or isn’t the best 10 the Reds have etc. let’s see in game 1 how he shapes up.

I know what rugby I’m watching thank you, every Reds and Queensland Country game in 2018.

I never said Stewart is a great Super 10. What I said is people forget how young these guys are, of course he isn’t a word class 5/8 at 20years old, don’t expect a Damien Mackenzie or Elton Jantes caliber performance. They are seasoned professionals, Hamish is still barely out of school.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And the best thing I have found in a thread on here for a while, seems we getting some Reds fans feeling positive, and good on you fellas!! No doubt will see plenty at the first home game against Crusaders next week, I will certainly be there,lol but that's no advert, I a rugby tragic and at Suncorp most weeks and not even really a Reds man(though obviously my Aus team)!! I was pleased to see numbers and feeling at trial game at Ballymore, and lets hope we going to see more of it this year!!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
happy to see Petaia at 13. It’ll test him, no doubt - but he looks a natural fit there for me and to have good skills to position his winger on top of his excellent defence. He is still so young, so I’ll temper my expectations but I have been very impressed to date.

The ommission of Higgers surprises me - but I like Scott-Young so I’m keen to see him lay down a marker for his spot.

Haven’t seen much of Lucas but everything I’ve heard impressed me. Keen to see him have a crack.

I am glad he is at 13 as well, I don't think he will achieve his potential waiting for Kerevi to pass the ball to him.