• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2 - Reds vs Highlanders at Forsyth Barr

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Unfortunately two poor line out throws by Alex Mafi towards the end of the game took away the Reds momentum at a crucial stage. He was probably suffering from nerves coming on fresh, but for throwing accuracy, he needs to practice, practice, practice.

Well Mafi just had a whole off season to practice - but from what I have seen of him on training paddock, he is not the best trainer. But also to be fair, he was given two long throws just as he comes on (in an effort to accelerate the width of the ball) where possibly the caller should have looked for securing the ball.

Reactions: dru

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
To be fair to Petaia’s defence, on the last one he was on a hiding to nothing. He shot out of the line in the hope that he would hit the guy at the same time he caught the ball and shut it down but the ball got past him. When I saw it the first time I thought it was an error, but I don’t know what else he could have done. The only thing that maybe would have helped is if the guy outside him (Kerevi??) jammed at the same time.

i agree, thats why i said i thought it was the correct call but poor/ineffective execution, maybe he was just beaten by the attacking players ability to make him miss ?

Reactions: TSR

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You not helping yourself by quoting anything written by Rattue:rolleyes:.

Yeah, nah Dan, he's right: no other host broadcaster on the planet ever does these things, only SKY NZ & only when it favours an NZ team.

Strayan & Sethfricken broadcasters ALWAYS forensically analyse every home-team try for evidence of obstruction, forward pass(es), knock-on(s) etc, etc, and ALWAYS commiserate with the dudded opposition team upon finding such things. The self-flagelation of the comms in these circumstances can be quite disturbing, really.

Reactions: dru

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Unfortunately missed this one and by all reports it was a cracker. Has anyone got a 3 2 1 they could do for the Reds players?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He was outstanding.

But, even better, he was absolutely filthy after fulltime when they botched their last line out.

Strong performance from him in just normal circumstances, let alone coming off such a tough week.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, nah Dan, he's right: no other host broadcaster on the planet ever does these things, only SKY NZ & only when it favours an NZ team.

Strayan & Sethfricken broadcasters ALWAYS forensically analyse every home-team try for evidence of obstruction, forward pass(es), knock-on(s) etc, etc, and ALWAYS commiserate with the dudded opposition team upon finding such things. The self-flagelation of the comms in these circumstances can be quite disturbing, really.

The funniest thing is WOB, just the incident that he alluding to in game (that certainly looked forward to me) could of been shown a thousand time, but not being to bright Lost obviously doesn't know that the ref can't back more than 2 phases to check anyway, and I bloody sure the TV commentators do , especially if they crooked as he thinks:D;)
I actually don't recall them replaying the slap down awful lot either, but more importantly would not either of them or Sorivi's last pass to thought of as having any affect on what in my opinion was a bloody great ad for the game!!

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

You've nevfer been to a reds home game.

Reds foul play or reds forward passes, or reds knock ons are replayed on the big screen until the referee sees it and makes a call on it.

Given the inability to distinguish between "not releasing the player" and "not releasing the ball" I strongly suspect that the person who drives the big screens up there is a broncos fan, coz he/she sure as hell hates the reds.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I was not going to mention it but I thought neck rolls to clear players in the ruck was manifest by the Highlanders. And then I started seeing Reds do it.

Should be stamped out. From everywhere.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Thats fairly intuitive from the reds though. I always wondered why, if the ref is letting some blatant shit fly we dont just start doing the same.
Honour or some shit?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
IMHO the Reds game last night was the best performance put in by any Australian side including the Wallabies. Apart from perhaps 5 very poorly executed kicks (and even then the kick was the right option just poorly done) they played very well, and I must say it was heartening to see an Australian side show respect for an appreciate the value of a good kicking game and not just run heedlessly into set defences with league like hit ups.

Very good game.

For mine whilst Sorovi, Rhodda (and doubly so for the background circumstances) and Hegarty played very well, the significant improvement of Stewart in terms of his defence and execution of skills stands out for me, and that is something we haven't see in other sides.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
IMHO the Reds game last night was the best performance put in by any Australian side including the Wallabies. Apart from perhaps 5 very poorly executed kicks (and even then the kick was the right option just poorly done) they played very well, and I must say it was heartening to see an Australian side show respect for an appreciate the value of a good kicking game and not just run heedlessly into set defences with league like hit ups.

Your post went out of date very quickly after the Brumbies terrific showing. Tahs aside, a very pleasing weekend of Australian Super Rugby, in fact, probably the best in recent memory. Meanwhile, the Blues, Chiefs, and Hurricanes were all smashed. Next weekend the Reds, Rebels, and Brumbies are all lining up against Kiwi sides and there's a realistic prospect of us winning 2/3 of those games. Strange times we are living in.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m surprised you don’t think the Brumbies to be able to beat the Hurricanes next weekend after their showing last night.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’m surprised you don’t think the Brumbies to be able to beat the Hurricanes next weekend after their showing last night.

Wouldn't want to get too far ahead of ourselves and start talking about clean sweeps but, of course, the Crusaders will be no match for the mighty Reds.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Haha - I couldn’t resist. But I’m going back in to my shell now. Crusaders are still the benchmark and it will be a very tough assignment for the Reds.