• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2 Saffer matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cheetahs v Bulls, Bloemfontein - 19:10
Cheetahs

15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 Johann Sadie, 12 Francois Venter, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Johan Goosen, 9 Shaun Venter 8 Phillip van der Walt, 7 Lappies Labuschagné, 6 Boom Prinsloo, 5 Francois Uys, 4 Lodewyk de Jager, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Caylib Oosthuizen

Substitutes:16 Ryno Barnes, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Maks van Dyk, 19 Rynard Landman, 20 Jean Cook, 21 Sarel Pretorius, 22 Elgar Watts, 23 Rayno Benjamin

Bulls
15 Jurgen Visser, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 JJ Engelbrecht , 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Louis Fouché, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Jacques Engelbrecht, 7 Jacques du Plessis, 6 Jono Ross, 5 Grant Hattingh, 4 Flip van der Merwe (captain), 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Callie Visagie, 1 Dean Greyling

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Frik Kirsten, 18 Marcel van der Merwe ,19 Victor Matfield, 20 Wiaan Liebenberg, 21 Piet van Zyl, 22 Handré Pollard, 23 Ulrich Beyers
Losing teams from round 1. I just dont like the Brutes pack. Three same type of loose trio, Greyling & Kruger not the best scrummagers. Cheetahs wont drop one again in Osfontein.

Sharks will beat the Canes. To much firepower up front.

Lions v Stormers, Johannesburg - 19:10
Lions

15. Chrysander Botha, 14. Deon van Rensburg, 13. Stefan Watermeyer , 12. Alwyn Hollenbach, 11. Ruan Combrinck, 10. Marnitz Boshoff, 9. Faf de Klerk, 8. Warren Whiteley (captain), 7. Derick Minnie, 6. Jaco Kriel, 5. Franco van der Merwe, 4. Franco Mostert, 3. Julian Redelinghuys, 2. Robbie Coetzee, 1. Schalk van der Merwe

Substitutes: 16. Willie Wepener, 17. Jacques van Rooyen, 18. Ruan Dreyer, 19. MB Lusaseni, 20. Warwick Tecklenburg, 21. Ross Cronjé, 22. JW Jonker, 23. Coenie van Wyk

Stormers
15. Gio Aplon, 14. Kobus van Wyk, 13. Michael van der Spuy, 12. Jean de Villiers (captain), 11. Damian de Allende, 10. Demetri Catrakilis, 9. Louis Schreuder, 8. Duane Vermeulen, 7. Schalk Burger, 6. Siya Kolisi, 5. Manuel Carizza, 4. Rynhardt Elstadt, 3. Frans Malherbe, 2. Scarra Ntubeni, 1. Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16. Deon Fourie, 17. Oliver Kebble, 18. Pat Cilliers, 19. Michael Rhodes, 20. Nizaam Carr, 21. Nic Groom, 22. Kurt Coleman, 23. Ryno Eksteen
Lions have an excellent chance to win this one. Minnie & Kriel to bully us at the breakdown.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Hallo Oom. Full of shit aready I see :) You ainlt losing against the Lions. No chance but nice try.

This is going to be a looooong season for me. The Bulls management are not only stubborn, but also incredibly fucking stupid. That is a DEADLY combination.

It is clear that they will persist with the caveman pattern but without the pack or the 9 and 10 to execute it.

If you want to watch THE worst 10 to EVER play Super rugby, just watch Louis Fouche. He is a big, slow lumbering lug with an average kicking game.He was comical against the Sharks.

The persistence with Hougaard is a joke. He cannot kick for shit and his skills around the lineout are just horrible.

The Bulls have a REALLY exciting center combination with skills and lots of gas. They have a dynamic scrummie (Piet van Zyl - great player) on the bench and a very promising young 10 in Pollard (who can kick and run it). Stick Hougaard on the wing with a license to roam. That is where he can be deadly.

As Paarl mentioned they persist with the worst prop combo in SA and I am sure Ludeke will say its their experience that counts. Pity neither can scrum for shit and have about three brain cells between them.

Someone once told me that it's okay to make a mistake, not good if you make the same one again, and that you deserve to suffer if you make it again.

Our coach is making sure that we will suffer. I'm stocking up on the valium.

I really don't mind losing. But losing like fools just kills me.

I hope Os du Randt slapped Willie Le Roux a good few times and reminded him that he is not as good as he thinks.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hallo Oom. Full of shit aready I see :) You ainlt losing against the Lions. No chance but nice try.

This is going to be a looooong season for me. The Bulls management are not only stubborn, but also incredibly fucking stupid. That is a DEADLY combination.

It is clear that they will persist with the caveman pattern but without the pack or the 9 and 10 to execute it.

If you want to watch THE worst 10 to EVER play Super rugby, just watch Louis Fouche. He is a big, slow lumbering lug with an average kicking game.He was comical against the Sharks.

The persistence with Hougaard is a joke. He cannot kick for shit and his skills around the lineout are just horrible.

The Bulls have a REALLY exciting center combination with skills and lots of gas. They have a dynamic scrummie (Piet van Zyl - great player) on the bench and a very promising young 10 in Pollard (who can kick and run it). Stick Hougaard on the wing with a license to roam. That is where he can be deadly.

As Paarl mentioned they persist with the worst prop combo in SA and I am sure Ludeke will say its their experience that counts. Pity neither can scrum for shit and have about three brain cells between them.

Someone once told me that it's okay to make a mistake, not good if you make the same one again, and that you deserve to suffer if you make it again.

Our coach is making sure that we will suffer. I'm stocking up on the valium.

I really don't mind losing. But losing like fools just kills me.

I hope Os du Randt slapped Willie Le Roux a good few times and reminded him that he is not as good as he thinks.
Agree 100%. Think matfield is also stupid trying to make a return and keeping talented young locks out.

If Schalk is back in his best past form , we may have a chance, Stormers is also rusted and the Lions wil be a tough game specially with 50,000 tickets already sold.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Dunno the Matfield idea is probably coming from Meyer. Big mates those two.

I'll take Matfield with the two young props starting along with van Zyl and Pollard.

Ludeke really is behaving like a moron.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Cheetahs beat Bulls 16-9 in horrible conditions. Poor skills on both sides though. First win for Cheetahs over Bulls in the comp.

Bulls trailing by 7 at the buzzer are in possession but put up a bomb :) I give up.

Fouche found new ways to play like shit at 10. He did some stuff I have not seen since the last time I watched 9 year olds playing rugby.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I got that one right on the tipping but they didn't win the way I thought they would. Really disappointed with all the stupid drop goal attempts. They will be stocked with the win though

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Conditions were slippery edit: first half, second half was pissing down for a lot of it by the looks, but that's no excuse for either team.

Both teams were horrible, neither wanted the ball for a lot of the game. Bulls have nothing in attack wider than 2 passes from the ruck.

Both tens, Fouche and Goosen, were horrible. Both of them kicked first, asked questions later. Both teams were way too deep in attack. To top it off, Fouche missed enough kicks at goal to win the game and Goosen was Steyn-like in stupid drop goal attempts.

You can have horrible conditions, but you can want to play rugby. Neither team did.

If you have a chance to catch a replay, don't waste your time.

What the hell happened to the Cheetahs of the last few years? The only one who wanted to attack was le Roux.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To give an idea on the idiotic amount of kicking in this game, the Cheetahs number 8 broke off the scrum on the blind side and only had Ndungane in front - and tried to chip him. In the first half I am sure that Goosen kicked it away about 5 times in a row when attacking in the Bulls' 40m. Some of them I am sure were within the first few rucks.

Was good to see the ref call up the horrid feed from Venter in the first half, the feed was straight from 2012.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
The weather was atrocious!

"But that is no excuse"

ROFL clown, you cannot afford to play an expansive game in that kind of weather. A typical Australian mentality of: exciting rugby = winning rugby.

Last weekend the Bulls employed their power game vs the sharks, which meant the overlaps were never taken advantage of as the ball did not pass Fouche. The exact opposite was true for the Cheetahs vs the Lions where they attempted wide cutout pass after cutout pass. The Lions 9-10 did not even have to make a single tackle that game, that is how focused the Cheetahs were on swinging it wide.

The winner of this match was always going to be the team that can vary/balance their playstyle.

Stoked with the result that Cheetahs can also play conservative/finals rugby.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
You're saying that it was a good game?

The kicks were not good, Goosen's tactical kicking was atrocious, particularly in the Bulls' half. You kick away the ball inside the opposition's 40m line on attack, you at least want it to apply pressure. Goosen's kicks just gave away possession and normally lost field position.

Goosen was horrible.

In comparison, le Roux's kicking was good, it went to the corner or out.

Honestly, both teams failed to apply pressure from their kicks. If it was such horrible conditions, the lack of contestable kicks from which there was pressured lost ball was remarkable.

The Bulls again ignored overlaps when they had them to truck it up the middle.

Just because your team was involved and won doesn't mean you should look at with rose coloured glasses.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think we can all agree that they played piss poor rugby. Even if it rains you still need to execute the kicking game well which neither 9 or 10 did.

The amount of mindless chip kicks cannot be excused though . Bad weather or not. I stopped wathjing after half time. Just couldn't any more.

Well done Lions. Looking forward to watching the recording later. The Lions clearly are not reading the script. Great stuff.

All in all the derby rugby this weekend didn't live up to the hype. Most games were really sub-standard so far. Early season rustiness I suppose.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, Lions are the shock of the season so far. What the hell is going on? What was the game like?

Blue; agree, not impressed with the first round either. Hope it's rustiness and not a sign of things to come, as the only game I've really enjoyed watching so far this week was the Blues vs Clan. Haven't caught the Lions v Stormers and Canes v Sharks though.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't get too carried away about the Lions win.

The Stormers were awful.

The Lions got the arse end of territory and possession. The early tries were breakout, followed by a couple of drop goals.

I fully expect them to struggle on the road when they get points put on them. The 10's a good 'un though. He will win them some close matches but it's still a team of nobodies and journeymen.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The SA conference is looking like it will be one way traffic for the Sharks. How on earth the Stormers got a thrashing from the Lions is beyond me. And the Bulls and Cheetahs have looked downright ordinary so far. Durban final is looking increasingly more likely; on the last two weeks the Sharks will beat their conference rivals every game, most including a bonus point.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's only two rounds in, but I wonder if any of the South African teams are starting to sweat about the fact that one of them has to play the Kings in a playoff at the end of the season to stay in the comp and it might not be the Lions.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It's only two rounds in, but I wonder if any of the South African teams are starting to sweat about the fact that one of them has to play the Kings in a playoff at the end of the season to stay in the comp and it might not be the Lions.

Politics fixed this. The Kings are out till 2016.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The SA conference is looking like it will be one way traffic for the Sharks. How on earth the Stormers got a thrashing from the Lions is beyond me. And the Bulls and Cheetahs have looked downright ordinary so far. Durban final is looking increasingly more likely; on the last two weeks the Sharks will beat their conference rivals every game, most including a bonus point.

I won't write the Cheetahs off yet. I still think they could trouble most of the top sides and beat a few of them at home and on the road. Very little has changed in their roster.

The Bulls are gone. Way gone. Their numbskull coach will persist with the same shit selections and game plan and in all likelihood get fired, but only after the season is over.. The sooner the better though. It's the end of an era and we need to rebuild but not before the fans take a lot of pain because of stubborn administrators / coaches. The game plan is outdated and now they are trying to execute it with players who do not have the skills now and never will.

The Stormers will still be hard, if not near impossible to beat at Newlands. However, they will have even less points in them than last year so they won't challenge.

Lions will huff and puff, blow a few teams over but a couple of losses could easily kill their confidence and see them sliding back into mediocrity. You aren't getting 10 shots at goal every match. It's a team of very well coached journeymen who play for each other but that never really holds up if you go 30 points down at half time and you can't get out of your own half.

Sharks have to secure the home final else forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.