• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 3: Reds vs Chiefs, 6:45pm AEST - Saturday 9th of March @ Suncorp

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Big clash coming up for the Reds hosting the top of the table Chiefs. The Chiefs were absolutely electric against the Brumbies last weekend and should present even more of a challenge then the Hurricanes.

That said, this has been a surprisingly even match up in recent times with the record since COVID standing at 2 wins a piece. Only one of those games has been decided by more than 7 points with the Chiefs winning 29-20 in last years quarter final. Even that was close through out though, with a 75th minute try putting the game out of the Reds reach while they were chasing hard but running out of steam. Whichever way they have have gone these have been absolutely cracking contests, with the 2 last year two of the best games of the competition. Get to Suncorp if you can otherwise make sure to tune in.

Reds look to be without Hodgman, Paisami and Petaia, while Chiefs will probably lose replacement prop Jared Proffit to a ban after a head high tackle was red carded last weekend.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Reds:

1. Sef Fa’agase – Sunnybank – Shailer Park State High School – Beaudesert Warriors
2. Matt Faessler – Brothers – Toowoomba Grammar School – USQ Saints
3. Zane Nonggorr – Bond University – The Southport School – Gold Coast Eagles
4. Seru Uru – Wests – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji – Namoli Rugby Club, Fiji
5. Ryan Smith – Brothers – St Patrick’s College, Shorncliffe – Caboolture Snakes
6. Liam Wright (cc) – Easts – Anglican Church Grammar School - Easts
7. Fraser McReight – Brothers – Brisbane Grammar School – Albany Creek Brumbies
8. Harry Wilson – Brothers – St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace – Gunnedah Red Devils
9. Tate McDermott (cc) University of Queensland – Sunshine Coast Grammar School – Flinders Rugby Club
10. Tom Lynagh – University of Queensland – Epsom College, England – Richmond Rugby Club
11. Mac Grealy – University of Queensland – Downlands College – Souths Toowoomba
12: Isaac Henry - Wests - Brisbane Boys' College - Kenmore Bears
13. Josh Flook – Brothers – St Joseph’s Nudgee College - Brothers
14. Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests – Saint Kentigern College, Auckland
15. Jock Campbell – University of Queensland – The Southport School – Inverell Highlanders

Reserves:
16. Josh Nasser – University of Queensland – St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace-Easts
17. Peni Ravai – Easts – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji
18. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen** - Norths - Wellington College, NZ
19. Cormac Daly - Norths – Ul Riada, Ireland – North Kildare/Kilcock GAA, Ireland
20. John Bryant - Souths - St Laurence’s College - Souths
21. Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland – Ipswich Grammar School - Souths
22. Harry McLaughlin-Phillips - Souths – Brisbane Boys’ College – Gunnedah Red Devils
23. Tim Ryan * - Brothers - St Patrick's College

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Backline as expected with Henry in for Paisami and Campbell covering fullback, but with the surprise inclusion of Tim Ryan on the bench. Keen to see how he goes, looked great for the under 20s. Fa'agase swaps sides to cover Hodgman and Toomaga-Allen comes onto the bench. Have to say I've been pretty impressed with Fa'agase this year, hopefully he goes well at loosehead.

Petaia and Paisami both confirmed to be doing return to play protocol after a concussion, no word on how long Hodgman is out for with the Shoulder injury.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
CHIEFS (1-15): Aidan Ross, Samisoni Taukei'aho, George Dyer, Tupou Vaa'i, Naitoa Ah Kuoi, Samipeni Finau, Simon Parker, Luke Jacobson (c), Cortez Ratima, Damian McKenzie, Etene Nanai-Seturo, Rameka Poihipi, Daniel Rona, Shaun Stevenson, Josh Ioane

RESERVES: Tyrone Thompson, Ollie Norris, Reuben O'Neill, Manaaki Selby-Rickit, Wallace Sititi, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Josh Jacomb, Anton Lienert-Brown

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty happy to see Josh Jacomb on bensh for Chiefs, I like this kid. Bloody handy looking squad.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Backline as expected with Henry in for Paisami and Campbell covering fullback, but with the surprise inclusion of Tim Ryan on the bench. Keen to see how he goes, looked great for the under 20s. Fa'agase swaps sides to cover Hodgman and Toomaga-Allen comes onto the bench. Have to say I've been pretty impressed with Fa'agase this year, hopefully he goes well at loosehead.

Petaia and Paisami both confirmed to be doing return to play protocol after a concussion, no word on how long Hodgman is out for with the Shoulder injury.

I really agree. I think hes been fantastic this year and was really good in the trials too. Just really effective ball in hand with some strong runs. Hopefully the scrums are strong.

The Canes last week, at least early, were far more physical than us and the Chiefs were also very physical. Our back really needs to man up this week. I would have been tempted to swap the starting and bench props for that reason

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I really agree. I think hes been fantastic this year and was really good in the trials too. Just really effective ball in hand with some strong runs. Hopefully the scrums are strong.

The Canes last week, at least early, were far more physical than us and the Chiefs were also very physical. Our back really needs to man up this week. I would have been tempted to swap the starting and bench props for that reason
I'm hoping that game against the hurricane's means there's no way we won't be prepared for a physical battle going in - they'll know what to expect and the coaches will have hammered home the need to be ready for it from kick off.

Of course it may also be that they're battered and bruised, but hopefully it's less of a problem this early in the season.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I’m actually intrigued by the improved playmaker options we have in this team with Henry and Jock at fullback. We’ve made two line breaks this season so perhaps this unlocks something?
Could do, I think having Campbell at the back is going to be key for this game, him playing his role to perfection was a big part of how we beat the Chiefs last year. For all Petaia's talent his kick returns have been a mixed bag and often ended in turnovers.

That said, your numbers are way off, we've made twice that many (4) line breaks this season!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m not sure what to think of this.

On the one hand on early form the Chiefs look the team to beat. Getting them round 3 it’s hard to expect a win, even at home, and then if we do lose we are 1-2 from the first 3 rounds.

Part of me was optimistic. I thought our execution and some of our tackling was sub par last week but I thought our strategy was generally pretty good. Scrum is under a bit of pressure but our lineout generaly good and our driving maul is helping us accumulate points and keep pressure on.

But even if we lose I feel like there is positives here. Having to play two strong Kiwi teams early gives this team a clear benchmark of where it needs to be and brings the team up to speed at playing high tempo rugby. There will be no room for complacency or no chance of the team getting ahead of itself. And with the Chiefs out of the way every other game should (hopefully) be easier.

I mean - if we get smashed then obviously none of that applies. But if we can match up well and keep progressing then, hopefully, we can get momentum from there.

On another note, I feel it’s a big positive itself that we can lose Paisami, Petaia and Hodgman and still be putting a pretty strong team on the park.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
On another note, I feel it’s a big positive itself that we can lose Paisami, Petaia and Hodgman and still be putting a pretty strong team on the park.

I'm less convinced - Front row seems a step down and has been working the pressure without that drop. Backline didn't quite star last week, I think it'll be improved with Campbell but from there less so.z

OTOH I think the team organisation and game play will continue the upward trend, Les has the 23 and injury replacements looking like cohesion will continue and overall I expect things to stay solid.

We may well pull it off, though common sense suggests we are not favoured here. One thing I am confident about - this team will not roll over and will keep battling for the 80 or 90.

Looking forward to it.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Think we're definitely going to be outnumbered at the game tonight - nothing but chiefs fans at the train station.....

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Facebook activity suggests a fair number of those Chiefs supporters will be wifey's relations. Personally I blame whoever decided to give the bit of SEQ wedged between the Goldy, Brissy & Ippy a name that rhymes with "Bogan". Was always going to be a Chiefs-catchment magnet.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
^ Facebook activity suggests a fair number of those Chiefs supporters will be wifey's relations. Personally I blame whoever decided to give the bit of SEQ wedged between the Goldy, Brissy & Ippy a name that rhymes with "Bogan". Was always going to be a Chiefs-catchment magnet.

I'm getting on the train at Redbank so that's likely a contributing factor to the skewed fan representation though :D