• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 4 - Festival of Hate - Qld v NSW

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There is a right and justification to criticise the team performance and how they played together, but don't take aim at the players as a collective and claim they couldn't give a shit when it's clear that many of them are tying their ass out. It's dissapointing behaviour from yourself and really is contrary to the reality.

Consider your comments, if your aren't willing to walk up to each and every one of those individuals and say that to their face then don't say it at all.

Mate I doubt this would be seen by anyone as a positive, but I'm more than happy to speak out with the individuals. While we're at it, can you arrange a meeting with Thorn?

GGR has been here with the Reds for more than one era, through thick and thin, through many many years of horse shit from the Reds. You turn up and after 2 1/2 seconds are heavily criticism a long term supporter here on G&GR. Who should be thinking about who's behaviour?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
My last gripe though, did anyone else see in that last ruck when Folau got cleaned out and then came back and hit ASY (Angus Scott-Young) in the head with a no arms clean out? Hope he gets cited but I doubt he will.

Sorry for the rant, just had to get that off my chest.

This one?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hanigan was superb. Waratah scrum not what everyone was suggesting and the supposed weakness of the light Tah pack - no evidence of this at all. Thought Folau looked good on the wing, but Beale strangely quiet. Hunt and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) providing some starch through the centres.

Congrats Tahs.

Not sure where to start with the Reds. It's been a shitty start to the season and I'm not sure it gets easier. It still looks to me that they lack game direction. Sorovi is championed by many here, but compare how he marshals the pack and compare it to Genia. Then look to the dropped balls from overrun at first receiver - he needs to speed his delivery. It may require work from the pack in getting the ball back in the ruck. Nor do I like Sorovi's 3-4 steps backwards before the box kick.

McDermot got quicker ball and then delayed the pass fractionally which also led to over-running at first receiver.

I don't mind the pick and go and that Kerevi effectively offers himself as an extra forward in this, but it needs a marshal lining it up and directing. Ditto a flyhalf understanding when to call for it and lining up the backs. Is there enough talk in this team?

I'm sticking with my assessment last week - this Reds squad lack rugby IQ.

Thorn's progress this season was predicted by many of us who fail the rose coloured glasses test - but calls for "tough questions" to be asked of Thorn at the end of the season are imo way off the mark. This should have happened when he was called in to the role - again when those without false hope called for it. Right now though he IS the bloke. Knuckle down for a lengthy period of stability where he must be given the opportunity to develop. The usual "three year period" for an HC to prove his mettle starts in 2020. This is his final journeyman year.

No, Thorn has not shown an ability to immediately turn around a team. But everything so far does point to sustainable improvement and club direction. We need to live through this one. Even if it is for now, as many years as a Red fan, the shitty end of the stick.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If Hanigan keeps that up hell get selected for the Wallabies again, and all hell will break loose.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Mate I doubt this would be seen by anyone as a positive, but I'm more than happy to speak out with the individuals. While we're at it, can you arrange a meeting with Thorn?

GGR has been here with the Reds for more than one era, through thick and thin, through many many years of horse shit from the Reds. You turn up and after 2 1/2 seconds are heavily criticism a long term supporter here on G&GR. Who should be thinking about who's behaviour?

Yep, send me your details and you will have 15 minutes with the players as ‘media’ on Tuesday before they fly out to Japan, you will have your opportunity to tell guys like Izack, Lukhan and Samu Kerevi they have no passion and how they haven’t been doing extras.

Couldn’t care less how long you’ve been a member of a website or how many likes and friends you have, disappointing behaviour is dissapointing behaviour. You’re comments are contrary to the reality and it’s pretty disaapoting to see so called ‘fans’ have a dig at all the players in a team claiming they have no passion. Guys like you are the reason players like Lukhan Salakai-Loto miss spring tours and families don’t want to take their kids to sport anymore .

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That was a really shit game of footy. Reds were poor and Tahs not much better. The pitch negated our one main advantage. Jackson is just a rubbish referee. Not sure what the ARs were doing either but the offside from both teams was atrocious. Back to Jackson but, he is so hit and miss. Won’t make a call when the pressure is on but happy to call BPA for not hooking when he clearly does. Or hand the Tahs 3 points for Wright being offside at a ruck that never even can close to forming.
A large part of what made that game shit was the commentary. I simply can’t stand Clarke. He’s a broken record of cliches and doesn’t not add anything to the game. When he does try actually calling play he’s often wrong. But worst of all is Kearns. He is poison. I have no idea whatsoever what FoxSports think he is adding for their customers.

My last gripe though, did anyone else see in that last ruck when Folau got cleaned out and then came back and hit ASY (Angus Scott-Young) in the head with a no arms clean out? Hope he gets cited but I doubt he will.

Sorry for the rant, just had to get that off my chest.

Jackson really can stuff up a game Scoey. Just a couple of instances that caught my eye last night.

Rodda penalised for coming in from the side but Hooper later in the game not called for a similar side entry to play when he tried to take Sorovi out at the back of a ruck.

Tupou makes a pick and go break but is ankle tapped and falls to the ground. Kepu dives on his on the ground. Play on - fortunately the Reds score a couple of phases later, but there were some inconsistent decisions by the ref out there last night.

Even in the scrums that actually stood up on that sub-standard surface, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) had elbows on the ground at least twice, maybe more, but not penalised despite it happening directly in front of Jackson.

The general standard of refereeing in Super this year is atrocious.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Even in the scrums that actually stood up on that sub-standard surface, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) had elbows on the ground at least twice, maybe more, but not penalised despite it happening directly in front of Jackson.

I'm always curious about this, because to me it looks so blindingly obvious that HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) had lost his footing a couple times and collapsed the scrum, yet Jackson who must have been able to see it didn't care. Can he see something else we can't? It seems pretty black and white to me.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Jeez, another day another referee and that’s a card for sure

Okay, explain to me how that is a card. Is there a law that says that you're not allowed to counter ruck if the opposition gets over top of it. Because I've never come across it. He doesn't leave his feet or lead with his shoulder. You can actually see his arm wrap under on the contact. So, exactly where is the penalty let alone card? Genuine question.

And how is it different from the half dozen or so similar efforts you see in essentially every game these days?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Okay, explain to me how that is a card. Is there a law that says that you're not allowed to counter ruck if the opposition gets over top of it. Because I've never come across it. He doesn't leave his feet or lead with his shoulder. You can actually see his arm wrap under on the contact. So, exactly where is the penalty let alone card? Genuine question.

And how is it different from the half dozen or so similar efforts you see in essentially ever game these days?

I don't really think it's that bad. But I think he leads with his shoulder and makes contact to his head?

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)

And how is it different from the half dozen or so similar efforts you see in essentially ever game these days?

I'm confused too - in that video he wraps an arm and drives through. Effective I thought, and really would have expected a loose forward to be able to withstand that a bit better.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

You must be watching a different clip, what I can see is his shoulder making contact with the head before his arms wrap

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You must be watching a different clip, what I can see is his shoulder making contact with the head before his arms wrap

Having zoomed in on it several times surely if he had made contact with the head No.18s head would have moved before the rest of him. Which from the footage its doesn't. It looks like he made contact relatively high up on the body below the head which shifts the entire weight of the player at the same time. He certainly didn't target it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Doesn't it have to be a red card offense for a citation anyway?

So, at it's absolute worst it's a yellow card at a point in the game where it would not matter at all. Seems irrelephant.

40d6002e5b038ebc8537a8d73a5cd786f5ab1f32575a4ebf070001aa4983f63f.jpg

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

I am not suggesting its a card, that's debatable and I would need to see the other angles / better vision.

But it appears to me that Folau ends up on the floor near the touchline just after TPN hits the deck. His clear out across the front of TPN from the side and it releases TPN to drive through back on an angle across the front of Foley. Foley was the "gate" and if you watch its the side entry that springs the Reds to play the ball towards Foley.

Its a classic Jackson free for all! All moot now.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jeez, another day another referee and that’s a card for sure
Correct.

Any backrower that allows himself to be bullied off a ruck by a winger should be yellow carded.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is lucky it wasn't Foley that shoved him, then he'd be in danger of getting a red.

(in all seriousness: Folau made no contact with ASY (Angus Scott-Young)'s head and those cleanouts happen all the time in every match).

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Cut Folau a bit of slack, it's his first time making a clean out.

Giddy with excitement! So much so after the first attempt, he realises that mauls are great; no real technique needed other than drive through and gets up off the ground and a second crack. :p