• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5 : Force v Reds - Perth

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I reckon the loss of Henry will be bigger than might have otherwise been thought. I reckon he's already better than Paisami.

To be fair to Paisami, the mid field roundabout between him, Petaia, Henry and Flook coming off earlier than usual yesterday finally caught up to the Reds.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lots of chicken littles around here.

The Reds will end up finishing significantly higher on the table than the Force and really should have done the job last night.

My frustration is all the comments trying to pump up the Force and make them feel good rather than point out how shit the Reds were. In such a short season, it’s the lack of concentration and inability to keep going in an upwards trajectory that will continue to hinder our teams.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The Reds will end up finishing significantly higher on the table than the Force and really should have done the job last night.

My frustration is all the comments trying to pump up the Force and make them feel good rather than point out how shit the Reds were. In such a short season, it’s the lack of concentration and inability to keep going in an upwards trajectory that will continue to hinder our teams.

the force always play tough mate especially at home.

my take away from yesterday was there was 2 teams yesterday where going into the match one team was way more skilled than the other (reds) but one team got out muscled and out hustled (reds)

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
Play of the day...at 22:10 on the clock.

Tom Horton drops Wilson with a beauty of a tackle in mid-field and then 3 phases later, he and Stewart put another huge hit on Hunter Paisami.

Stewart completes the tackle, turns over the ball, and kicks to 2m out all in one motion for the counter-ruck try.

The Reds realize they are really in a game of rugby at this point
Watched this again and Stewart was amazing he didn’t even get back to fully standing when he made the kick. Watch it again it’s crazy he got such a kick away

drewprint

John Solomon (38)

I think that’s inaccurate though. Yes the Reds were definitely poor and I think arrived thinking they’d waltz over the Force - ‘playing cute’ as the commentators said a few times. But I really think the Force turned up to play big time too. They were smashing us out there, so fair play.

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)

I think you are missing that the Reds were shit because the Force made them shit with their game plan.
Reds brought a full strength team to the west and got taken by surprise.
Reds are likely to finish above the Force but the reds may not have a good time of it if they don’t learn to adapt and not be a one trick pony. Cron and the Force laid out the blueprint to shutting down the reds attack.
Les is a good coach and the Reds have plenty of super stars so they should be ok

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Reds went away from what has been successful because they were Forced to.

There will be some changes next week not because of form but because of fatigue. Same 23 but some rotation for the Brumbies. Back at home they should be more confident, but they’ll need a freshen up to get the physical edge back.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Everyone watches the game with a different lens and I saw a lot of unforced errors from the Reds.

The Force smelled blood in the water and capitalised. The blowout score line in the first half is a telling sign of a defensive team without accuracy or urgency. The Force didn’t exactly reinvent the wheel in attack.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The good thing is Wilson will get a lot more practice at kickoffs because every team in the comp will be kicking to him for the rest of the year
I’ve noticed he’s been continually picked out off kickoffs in previous matches as well - clearly a suspected weakness which has been confirmed.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)

And there it is

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I’ve noticed he’s been continually picked out off kickoffs in previous matches as well - clearly a suspected weakness which has been confirmed.
Maybe they've noticed a weakness (they have now), but it's always a pretty good tactic anyway.

Even if he catches it Wilson isn't kicking it, and you've taken him out of the run threat. He can't get a run up or take the pass from the catcher if he is the catcher.

It's why international sides always kick off to Korobiete for the Wallabies (although he now has a kick option after many years)

capalaba

Stan Wickham (3)
The Reds were not organised around the ruck, Force committed to 3 players to counter rucks at most breakdowns. Force played very well and Wilson was targeted at the kick off. Force came in with a great game plan and it worked.

Reds need to look at their game day management and rotated fatigued players sooner rather than later. All credit to the Force wellplayed.