• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 5 : Reds v Force, Suncorp Stadium, 20 March 6.45

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Disagree he offered nothing. He ran a poor angle once, it’s hardly a reason to crucify him. Jock and Vunivalu almost squandered overlaps on the Weekend as well.

Agree that Stewart offers something. It just is not passing in 2021. Presumably he is doing a different role, but whatever it is it its not guiding backline play. Think I have the following right:

Stewart passes:
v Waratahs - nil
v Rebels - 3
not on for Brumbies, when plenty of tries were scored and back line play seemed fine to me.
v Force - not many minutes but nil passes.

I like Stewart, but in 2021 it's hard to make a case that he is necessary for backline play.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Agree that Stewart offers something. It just is not passing in 2021. Presumably he is doing a different role, but whatever it is it its not guiding backline play. Think I have the following right:

Stewart passes:
v Waratahs - nil
v Rebels - 3
not on for Brumbies, when plenty of tries were scored and back line play seemed fine to me.
v Force - not many minutes but nil passes.

I like Stewart, but in 2021 it's hard to make a case that he is necessary for backline play.

I think it depends on the role that they've been asked to play as well though, against the Tahs Stewart was been used as a crashball at 12 to straighten the backline, and i thought he did that pretty well to provide options to JOC (James O'Connor), whereas Paisami was been used as a second playmaker out back.

You cant argue that Pasiami and Petaia bring more creativity, i just disagreed with the comment that Stewart offered nothing.

I'll also add that Stewart rightly or wrongly, Stewart will be the first player there to secure the ball at ruck when one of the backs makes a half break.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think it depends on the role that they've been asked to play.

We are in furious agreement. Stewart is not apparently being asked to be a playmaker. Not so far this season anyway.

You cant argue that Pasiami and Petaia bring more creativity

Eh? Did you mean to say this? I can and do. Well, Paisami over Stewart anyway. In 2021. So far.

I'll also add that Stewart rightly or wrongly, Stewart will be the first player there to secure the ball at ruck when one of the backs makes a half break.

Agreed. Nick Bishop makes the same point - a fetcher in the backline. Again though, it doesn't help his playmaking credentials.

I've already said I don't agree with the "offers nothing" comment. Whatever it is that he offers though, it hasn't been playmaking so far this season. Which is something that Paisami definitely has been building.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
We are in furious agreement. Stewart is not apparently being asked to be a playmaker. Not so far this season anyway.

Eh? Did you mean to say this? I can and do. Well, Paisami over Stewart anyway. In 2021. So far.

Agreed. Nick Bishop makes the same point - a fetcher in the backline. Again though, it doesn't help his playmaking credentials.

I've already said I don't agree with the "offers nothing" comment. Whatever it is that he offers though, it hasn't been playmaking so far this season. Which is something that Paisami definitely has been building.

I meant you cant argue against a combination of Petaia and Paisami bringing more creativity.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I meant you cant argue against a combination of Petaia and Paisami bringing more creativity.

Oh. Than Stewart Petaia? Don't agree there. (So probably not your point.)

Stewart Paisami? I would have thought that Paisami coming in closer to the 12 slot makes his creativity easier and more frequent than stepping in to the second playmaker role from 13.

I see where you're going though, the equation does become more complex.

Stewart playing backline fetcher (and defender) is harder to grasp in a full backline with a playmaker 13 - there aren't a lot of models to compare it to.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Oh. Than Stewart Petaia? Don't agree there. (So probably not your point.)

Stewart Paisami? I would have thought that Paisami coming in closer to the 12 slot makes his creativity easier and more frequent than stepping in to the second playmaker role from 13.

I see where you're going though, the equation does become more complex.

Stewart playing backline fetcher (and defender) is harder to grasp in a full backline with a playmaker 13 - there aren't a lot of models to compare it to.

Sorry it’s a double negative which is confusing things here

To clarify, I’m saying Pasiami - Petaia combinations brings more creative, which I think we all agree with

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sorry it’s a double negative which is confusing things here

To clarify, I’m saying Pasiami - Petaia combinations brings more creative, which I think we all agree with

Haha! (My thinking through my misinterpretation has left me with more thinking though.)

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Didn’t we score two tries off set piece last week? And butcher two with the last pass, in one case not being thrown?

Indeed! I've noticed some really sublime attacking moves from both scrum and lineout. It's been paying off handsomely this season. And ajjoy to behold!
I like Stewart at 12, well last season I did. This season, thus far, I'm liking Paisami much more! Even though it's only been for around 150 or so minutes.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Indeed! I've noticed some really sublime attacking moves from both scrum and lineout. It's been paying off handsomely this season. And ajjoy to behold!
I like Stewart at 12, well last season I did. This season, thus far, I'm liking Paisami much more! Even though it's only been for around 150 or so minutes.

Stewart must already be ruing his behaviour. I can't contemplate a Reds team other than with Stewart in a central role. But hell. Paisami.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

I'm pretty sure I supplied the "offers nothing" comment, probably a bit harsh but Paisami and Petaia are offering more for the Reds than a backline with Stewart in it. I was coming around to Stewart in 2020 but his game has changed a lot in 2021, quite possibly he has been told to do other things form the coaching staff.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm pretty sure I supplied the "offers nothing" comment, probably a bit harsh but Paisami and Petaia are offering more for the Reds than a backline with Stewart in it. I was coming around to Stewart in 2020 but his game has changed a lot in 2021, quite possibly he has been told to do other things form the coaching staff.

Hey Jets. Definitely Hamish is performing a different type of role this season, he hasn't simply changed off the cuff. Still add up the role he has played with the being dropped issue, and it looks a tricky road home.

I wish him all the best, but in the mean time I'm liking Paisami at 12 heaps.