• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 6: Waratahs v Crusaders - Saturday 23 March @ SCG

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Perhaps not.
It's just as logical to say that their sadness and grief will take their mind off playing just a game.
The feeling of devastation may have disturbed their preparation too.

I'm sure every player will be affected in different ways and all we can do is welcome them to our home ground and pay them the respect of playing to the best of our ability.

FF (Folau Fainga'a), you were absolutely right and well done to your Sir. I am suitably chastened :) and happy an Australian team won.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees Tandy take a bow as superb defence by the Waratahs. I did not feel the tahs in attack were so good in the second half but luckily saders also fell away in second half with lot of dropped ball as perhaps emotions of last week in what happened in Christchurch caught up with them.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I did not feel the tahs in attack were so good in the second half but luckily saders also fell away in second half with lot of dropped ball

Maybe the change in halves.

I thought Phipps was outstanding. Did a mountain of work. Not sure why he was pulled off at HT.

Gordon played well also, but Phipps was a class above and just controlled the back of the ruck, gave very fast ball when it was needed. But also made a heap of tackles.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I thought the Tahs played bloody well, and the Crusaders looked pretty average. Cameron looked pretty lost at 10, but then I thought most of the backline looked out of sorts. All in all a pretty scrappy game deservedly won by the better team.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
To quote you Dan, from the Canes' game, most of the Crusaders looked like ITM players, not up to Super standard.
And predictably the BR wet blanket comes out again to bag the Waratahs , sure the Saders had key players out, but the Waratahs played a smart game plan and the set piece was solid, the defence was immense and the pigs stood up. Handling was poor on both sides but it might not have shown how heavy the rain was at times on the TV Not perfect but a win against the Crusaders and the score was predicted to be a huge win against us. Perhaps the sadists looked poor because the tactics and defense made it look that way
I'll take a W against th ed champions from the past 2 years anytime. Don't forget they've been pantsing all before them for the last 19 games. Let have some joy

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs are now 3 and 3 v Crusaders since the start of 2014 season, which is not something I would have ever guessed.

Solitary Rebels win from 18 games against all other Australian teams.

Bogey team!

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Congrats Tahs finally delivering.
Steve Tandy deserves a pay rise. The Tahs defence has improved with his help.
Hopefully this is the kick start the team needed

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Well done Tahs, they hung in there really well. At one stage I thought that the Crusaders were going to break away from them but it didn't happen. Good defence. Having that week off I think went against the Crusaders - Tahs looked more ready for it throughout.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats Tahs finally delivering.
Steve Tandy deserves a pay rise. The Tahs defence has improved with his help.
Hopefully this is the kick start the team needed
Agree. Good, simple structure, moving up quickly and making their tackles. Hopefully Grey is watching.

I thought Foley played well too.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes but you have Phil Kearns to balance it out by noticing everything possibly negative that the opposition do and never seeing anything bad that the Waratahs do. They really should get some commentators who are unbiased - Greg Clark calling his son's games is bad too - do they not have anyone else they can use?

If Kearns and Kafer both were scheduled to do non-Tah games the quality of commentary would improve dramatically. I remember some years ago they got Kearns to do colour-commentary on a Super game between two NZ teams and he was direct, unbiased and insightful. He's got it in him to be one of the best, but he rarely shows it.

Clark's calling of his son's play is beyond reproach. If no one told you of the relationship you would never know from the commentary. And the alternative barely bears thinking about.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If the alternative was silence (apart from the crowd and other noises, and the referee mike) I would be all for it. Exactly what does Clark's boring, repetitive, and trite commentary add to the experience?

"There's no way through there". "That's not the start they wanted". "That tackle had to be made". And on and on, lots of drivel about coincidences and tiny little statistical events. Cliches, cliches, cliches.

And nothing of any value. Nothing, nothing, nothing.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
My two bob, Canterbury were very, very poor. Not sure how much the tahs can take from the game to be honest for about 40 mins they were also absolutely dire, the opening 15 won the game for them and they seemed to wake up for the last 10 and realise there was a game to win.

Credit to NSW in the end they did just enough but that was probably the worst display of football from a kiwi team that I can recall. Having said that the Cantabs still managed to create many chances and were actually still in the game.

NSW continue to mix the sublime with the ridiculous.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Just spent the last 4.5 months beavering away on the campaign committee of the young Liberal fella for the beautiful Blue Mountains, sadly he got flogged. Anyways, now there's no politics (did someone say there's another campaign looming up soon?, surely not) to interfere with the rugby I got around to watching a replay of the Tahs/Saders match yesterday. Did my eyes deceive me or did I notice only ONE scrum reset all match? And I commented on this to my wife before Kearns brought it up.

Well done, both Tah and Sader fatties! It can be done.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Just spent the last 4.5 months beavering away on the campaign committee of the young Liberal fella for the beautiful Blue Mountains, sadly he got flogged. Anyways, now there's no politics (did someone say there's another campaign looming up soon?, surely not) to interfere with the rugby I got around to watching a replay of the Tahs/Saders match yesterday. Did my eyes deceive me or did I notice only ONE scrum reset all match? And I commented on this to my wife before Kearns brought it up.

Well done, both Tah and Sader fatties! It can be done.
Stable scrums all night. Fairly even, too. The Tahs started to look a bit wobbly with replacement front row but Gordon did a good job getting it in and out fast.

Our set play off the back of scrums was terrible, though. Clearly trying to find a way around the rush defence and failing.