• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 7: Hurricanes v Waratahs - Friday 5:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
You'd have to be a pretty one-eyed Tahs supporter to back them this week.

Gibson must be pulling his hair out and wondering what more HE can do to get his team, particularly, the stars to perform to that level he expects.

Tough job being a coach, particularly of an Australian franchise, this year.

The best thing HE (Gibson) can do is quit

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I wouldn't have started Taqele either. I think 20-30 minutes in the second half maximises the chance that he scores a ridiculous try but doesn't concede two and a yellow card.

Taqele should come off the bench and barge through out wide after the canes backs are tired from scoring so many tries.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
no names on original team sheet so I very genourously filled in the blanks.

Very helpful for the casual viewer.

tahs1_zps2lvpvjkc.jpg

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
C8nAj2rXkAM18ec.jpg:large

Foley is back! Hopefully he doesn't have any symptoms after playing this time.

Good to see Horne back. Hopefully that improves our defence substantially.

Interesting that Holloway has been dropped to the bench. He hasn't really made an impact since his return though.

Sam Needs with a potential debut off the bench. Tom Robertson out injured. The Waratahs list him as being out with a knock. Not sure if that is a head knock or some other injury he suffered during the game as he did pass his concussion test.

Good to see Clark retain his spot ahead of Kellaway. AK (Andrew Kellaway) needs a bit of a kick up the bum!

Cam Clark? Really??? He was rubbish last week.

Kellaway was playing well in South Africa. I thought he was OK last week. Not great but better then Clark.

Wells has struggled in the run on in my opinion and Jed is coming back from injury so might be a bit off the pace but should be starting.

Sam Needs? Struggled in NRC with scrummaging. Really haven't been impressed with him so far of what I have seen of him.

Hopefully no more stupid box kicks.

Hopefully Foley is fit and gets through the game OK.

I am happy Horne is back.

Reece deserved to be dropped after his lack of anything resembling defence last week.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Cam Clark? Really??? He was rubbish last week.

Kellaway was playing well in South Africa. I thought he was OK last week. Not great but better then Clark.

Wells has struggled in the run on in my opinion and Jed is coming back from injury so might be a bit off the pace but should be starting.

Sam Needs? Struggled in NRC with scrummaging. Really haven't been impressed with him so far of what I have seen of him.

Hopefully no more stupid box kicks.

Hopefully Foley is fit and gets through the game OK.

I am happy Horne is back.

Reece deserved to be dropped after his lack of anything resembling defence last week.
It tells you how the squad is going,when all the debate is about the shortcomings of players that have been selected.
As opposed to Arguing about the value adds of players you think should have been selected.....

Next year!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Pretty good video from last weekend. Have to say Horwitz has grown on me this season, as has Skelton.

I thought Mack was hard done by - Hegarty hasn't shown much.

Otherwise I think thats close to the best team we've fielded this year.

Gees. This video of Horwitz showcases one of the big problems with Oz rugby players. How lazy is he? Notice how often he passes and then drops out of the game? Watch him with that Hooper break? It happens a couple of other times too and he's really slack supporting Gordon in his try too.

Compare that to the work most kiwi teams do in support and the difference is glaring.

As for the team named, I think the Wells Hanigan is a good combo and think Ned deserves the start ahead of Jed.

Interesting stats about Kellaway in attack. He actually leads the team for linebreaks and tackle breaks.

I agree with the TN selection. The team needs some X factor. He can provide that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Gees. This video of Horwitz showcases one of the big problems with Oz rugby players. How lazy is he? Notice how often he passes and then drops out of the game? Watch him with that Hooper break? It happens a couple of other times too and he's really slack supporting Gordon in his try too.

Compare that to the work most kiwi teams do in support and the difference is glaring.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to me he's just re-positioning himself for the next phase? As you say he drops out and then receives and hits the ball up next phase (when a break isn't on).

I don't rate the guy but i don't know if thats a fair criticism.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seems to me he's just re-positioning himself for the next phase? As you say he drops out and then receives and hits the ball up next phase (when a break isn't on).

I think he's got to chase that break hard though. He just stopped.

He was able to pick out that there was an opportunity on that side and was both calling for Kepu to clear out of the way and for the ball but then doesn't follow the play up.

I agree with Reg that there is a big difference there compared to the NZ teams. They make a break and then the support play is good enough that they score a try. We make a break and all it does is gain us some territory.

The Tahs in 2014 had outstanding support play and it resulted in so many line breaks being converted to tries.

Horne now out.

#Justice4Horne

Folau back to 13, Hegarty to fullback and Simone to the bench.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I don't rate the guy but i don't know if thats a fair criticism.

Yeah potentially. I guess the stand out examples in my eyes was that first Crusaders try where he seems to give up and no chase in defence. Then the play I mentioned where Dave and then Mason send Hooper for a gallop down the touch line. DH for whatever reason does not support the play which is a real shame as it dies off when a kiwi team would have more than likely converted it to points.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
DH for whatever reason does not support the play which is a real shame as it dies off when a kiwi team would have more than likely converted it to points.

This is kind of the old Mark Ella adage that he knew that once that initial break is made, if he touches the ball again the team will probably score and if he touches it a third time it will probably be him that scores.

Support play is something none of our teams are doing well enough and so much of it is about effort (and a subset of that, fitness).

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Hope it's a reasonable game to watch live - I am heading over to watch it.

I hope 'Nard can put a few blokes through holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.