• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 7: Hurricanes v Waratahs - Friday 5:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
C8mrbjKXYAAXJ7G.jpg:large

The referee is Marius van der Westhuizen which by my count is the third time the Tahs have had him as the referee in seven games.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You'd have to be a pretty one-eyed Tahs supporter to back them this week.

Gibson must be pulling his hair out and wondering what more HE can do to get his team, particularly, the stars to perform to that level he expects.

Tough job being a coach, particularly of an Australian franchise, this year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Taqele had a very good moment against the Cru. He is wont to do so every now and then. But then he reverts to his lumbering, poorly positioned self, unable to turn quickly against the ball put in behind him, and everyone spends a couple of games complaining about his shortcomings. I expect something similar will begin to emerge if he starts against the Canes on the weekend.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Taqele had a very good moment against the Cru. He is wont to do so every now and then. But then he reverts to his lumbering, poorly positioned self, unable to turn quickly against the ball put in behind him, and everyone spends a couple of games complaining about his shortcomings. I expect something similar will begin to emerge if he starts against the Canes on the weekend.

Expect to see at least a few cross field kicks put in behind him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
C8nAj2rXkAM18ec.jpg:large

Foley is back! Hopefully he doesn't have any symptoms after playing this time.

Good to see Horne back. Hopefully that improves our defence substantially.

Interesting that Holloway has been dropped to the bench. He hasn't really made an impact since his return though.

Sam Needs with a potential debut off the bench. Tom Robertson out injured. The Waratahs list him as being out with a knock. Not sure if that is a head knock or some other injury he suffered during the game as he did pass his concussion test.

Good to see Clark retain his spot ahead of Kellaway. AK (Andrew Kellaway) needs a bit of a kick up the bum!

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Why bother with Hegarty on the bench if he wasn't deemed good enough to start last week?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why bother with Hegarty on the bench if he wasn't deemed good enough to start last week?

My guess is that Hegarty covers other positions as well and it would be Gibson's preference and expectation that Foley plays 80 and that Hegarty is more likely to come on at fullback or 12.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I doubt positional cover is the driver for this selection. there is plenty of cover with Simone/Kellaway on the bench.
Seems to me,he has lost faith in Simone.

It's hard to suggest Hegarty played his way back into the match day squad,with his performance for Norths last week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I doubt positional cover is the driver for this selection. there is plenty of cover with Simone/Kellaway on the bench.
Seems to me,he has lost faith in Simone.

It's hard to suggest Hegarty played his way back into the match day squad,with his performance for Norths last week.

I'd guess that Gibson isn't expecting Naiyaravoro to play 80, nor one of Horne and Horwitz.

If there are no injuries I expect Kellaway will end up on the wing, Folau in the centres and Hegarty at fullback.

Hegarty is the injury replacement for Foley but I think his planned game time will be at 15 which is why he made the bench over Simone.

I'd like to see Simone get another go. I'm not trying to argue that Hegarty should have been chosen over him, just why I think he has been.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tom Robertson out injured. The Waratahs list him as being out with a knock. Not sure if that is a head knock or some other injury he suffered during the game as he did pass his concussion test.

I was surprised when Roberston came back on last week. He looked to have been well and truly knocked out in the collision. Wouldn't surprise me now if he has had some concussion related issues during the week.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I would also question Hegarty's inclusion, would have thought either Mason or Simone would have been preferable, however Gibson no doubt has his reasons.
I like the run-on backline, could be the best we've got.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Pretty good video from last weekend. Have to say Horwitz has grown on me this season, as has Skelton.

I thought Mack was hard done by - Hegarty hasn't shown much.

Otherwise I think thats close to the best team we've fielded this year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'd guess that Gibson isn't expecting Naiyaravoro to play 80, nor one of Horne and Horwitz.

If there are no injuries I expect Kellaway will end up on the wing, Folau in the centres and Hegarty at fullback.

Hegarty is the injury replacement for Foley but I think his planned game time will be at 15 which is why he made the bench over Simone.

I'd like to see Simone get another go. I'm not trying to argue that Hegarty should have been chosen over him, just why I think he has been.
If Gibson isn't expecting the big unit to play 80, he is a fool to select him.
Obviously Hegarty is cover for 10, I would argue that Horwitz could be that cover.I doubt Hegarty would get more than dead minutes at 15, barring injury to Izzie, or a massive blowout on the scoreboard. Kellaway could easily cover 15.
Whilst I don't expect the composition of the bench will influence the outcome, I don't agree with it.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
gah this team selection drives me nuts.

taqele is a poor defensive winger, and so we start him against the best attacking team in the comp, who possess fast wingers and a deadly accurate kicking 10. And there's no way Taqele is being expected to play 80 minutes - he's got 50 at best, which is why bringing him on with 30 to go is the better option. Horne back at 13 and I'm betting his instruction is to get up at Proctor really quick and stop and backline moves from happening (him and Hooper). This is going to further expose Taqele and possible Clarke on the other wing.

At least we should get to see some pretty tries from the Canes.

Status
Not open for further replies.