• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How about if it's the final leg of the series and prior results mean England need to make the cup semi finals to come 4th and achieve automatic qualification.

Lets say England play Wales or Scotland in the quarter finals.

IMO that isn't fair.

What's the alternative?

It's not exactly a common situation to have 3 teams that compete against each other on a regular basis and then compete as a single team once every 4 years in a single tournament.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
What's the alternative?

It's not exactly a common situation to have 3 teams that compete against each other on a regular basis and then compete as a single team once every 4 years in a single tournament.

Three alternatives:

1) They compete as GB in the Olympic Qualifying year of the world series.

2) They can't qualify through the World series and must therefore qualify as GB in the regional qualifier or repechage qualifier.

3) Only one of the teams can qualify and that team goes onto represent team GB without adding players from the other nations.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Should such a scenario occurs where either Scots or Wales play England and England has to win to ensure Olympic qualfication, these Celt players will most likely want to play out of their skin to put themselves into the selection frame for the Games!

They certainly won't lie down for these Poms at any rate!

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Should such a scenario occurs where either Scots or Wales play England and England has to win to ensure Olympic qualfication, these Celt players will most likely want to play out of their skin to put themselves into the selection frame for the Games!

They certainly won't lie down for these Poms at any rate!

One game of 7's on its own is not going to count for much in terms of getting into the selection frame.

In such a circumstance it would be in the interests of all involved for England to win.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Remember this one?

In the interest of Australian Rugby, MG could have just kicked the ball out, and given the Reds a bonus point. But he slotted it over, and the Reds could have lost top spot.

Don't see why it would be any different, especially given that at best, 2 or 3 Scots and Welsh would break into the squad.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
In the interest of Australian Rugby, MG could have just kicked the ball out, and given the Reds a bonus point. But he slotted it over, and the Reds could have lost top spot.

Don't see why it would be any different, especially given that at best, 2 or 3 Scots and Welsh would break into the squad.

It's not the same though is it. The Reds getting the bonus point wouldn't have been of any benefit to the Brumbies or any of their players.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Behind the scenes in Rugby 7's: The tactics and analysis supporting the players and coaches.

Those videos are so useful. I hope the IRB World Rugby pushes those during the Olympics. They're also a useful way of introducing newcomers to the sport.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If they can keep up this form, they will be in with a great chance for Gold in Rio.

Our Men's team on the other hand, may be struggling to qualify for Rio.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It was a great first half from the girls in the final and they got a big lead but the Kiwis looked a bit fitter and won in the last play of the game.

Geez they're not far away, and in the Olympics were next year they would be medal contenders.

But it was a case of yet another Kiwi rugby team believing they could win more than us, which, at the tipping point, is what makes it happen.

OOps - didn't realise there was a separate thread for Dubai

T

TOCC

Its a great result regardless for the Aussie Womens going down in the final. Remember they need to finish in the top 4 of the IRB 7's Series to gain automatic qualification of the Olympics, there are only 6 tournaments for the Womens 7's series so this is an important result.

Aussie Men won their pool beating Kenya, England and the USA which means they face Scotland in the QF.. Ominously New Zealand finished the pool stage without having a point scored against them(120-0), but the pool contained Scotland, Japan and Samoa so not the hardest of matches.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
In 2015, I believe that the ARU should look to our highly-successful sports-women to supply motivational speakers or to present the jumpers to the Wallaby squad, prior to test matches. For example: Women's Rugby Sevens, Women's Cricket, Netball, Basketball, and Hockey, to start with, then there are individuals like Torah Bright, Stephanie Gilmor, Sally Pearson, etc!

I know if I was a young member of the Wallabies, I'd play a bit harder if I got a hand-shake and a big kiss from Courtney Hancock, Laura Geitz, Stephie, or Torah!!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
In 2015, I believe that the ARU should look to our highly-successful sports-women to supply motivational speakers or to present the jumpers to the Wallaby squad, prior to test matches. For example: Women's Rugby Sevens, Women's Cricket, Netball, Basketball, and Hockey, to start with, then there are individuals like Torah Bright, Stephanie Gilmor, Sally Pearson, etc!

I know if I was a young member of the Wallabies, I'd play a bit harder if I got a hand-shake and a big kiss from Courtney Hancock, Laura Geitz, Stephie, or Torah!!

Hopefully, this is the "edited" version!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Currently our Men's 7s team is really interesting. One would think an Aussie 7s team would be full of outstanding backline talent with speed, agility and "x-factor" but we have one of the most boring, grind teams there is not that it's such a bad thing. Geriant has improved our physicality, tackling and the breakdown but we're missing a few stars like Senatla, Baker (Perry not Kurt!), Webber etc.