• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hopefully the continued and increased success of the Australian women's 7s team will attract more females to play and follow the game.

Therefore, emphasising the sex appeal of the players probably won't produce the best results.

(Agreed, it does appeal to some male rugby fans who don't already follow the women's team)

Personally, I loved their win last year in the final in Dubai against the New Zealanders and was gutted by this close loss.

Emilee Cherry - what a player!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Wow. Way to ruin an actually decent idea by sexualising female sports stars.

Hey RugbyReg, you, Bravegeart81, and anyone else who leads 'insular' lives isn't going to like this quote from today's Gold Coast Bulletin, covering the Australian PGA Tour 2014:
"Phwoar! Top players striding down the fairways into female hearts". (By Lucy Ardern)
"A different kind of scorecard is being secretly compiled this week as female golf fans rank the other assets of PGA competitors doing the rounds at Royal Pines. Sporting skills are set aside here with the competitors instead measured on their looks, dress sense, personality and even muscle size.....
Home grown champ Adam Scott is likely to come out on top, when it comes to the sexiest player rankings. The bulging biceps of Lincoln Tighe and Paul Spargo are attracting attention. The activities of ladies' man James Nitties has been another talking point at the PGA"

"Our Scorecard:
Best looking: Adam Scott, Jason Scrivener, Dimitrios Papadatos.
Best Dresser: Brendan Jones and James Marchesani.
Most Cut: Lincoln Tighe.
Biggest Jetsetter: Greg Chalmers.
Tightest clothes: Paul Spargo.
Biggest Ladies Man: James Nitties.
Biggest Personality: Boo Weekly".

Now, who was it that was talking about a caveman?
I'm not expecting an apology, but it would be nice!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Yes. Sexism is rampant everywhere in society.

That doesn't make it a good thing.

It also doesn't mean I won't call you or anyone else out next time you make a sexist comment.

I'm sorry you're sexist.

Moderators, have you revoked Forum Rule # 6?

Do you now allow reference to a member, a player, or an official, being sexist, a rapist, a paedophile, an alcoholic, a wife-beater, etc?

T

TOCC

Doug, sexism is developing attitudes and behaviour towards someone based on the persons gender..

I think the issue with your initial comment is that you suggested the Wallabies would play better if given a kiss from some Female athletes. This objectifies women..

It should be an honour for the Wallabies to meet and chat with athletes who have risen the top of their code and built their profiles on the back of their athletic prowess, regardless of gender.

T

TOCC

Aussie 7's teams has had mixed results in South Africa, they will need to improve if they are to beat Fiji in the QF's tonight. Maybe a hangover from Dubai?

T

TOCC

Even ignoring the Argie game where Australia let in 31 points..

I watched the Portugal games where Australia leaked 21points, Australia only conceded a total of 27 points in the pool stage in Dubai..

Unless they tighten their defence they won't beat Fiji..

T

TOCC

Yep another good effort in a crunch match, Fiji were down a couple of players and Australia ran away with it in the end.

T

TOCC

Australia finish 3rd after losing to South Africa in the semi and beating Argentina in the 3rd place playoff..

An improved performance from the boys on day 2, came close to beating South Africa after leading 10-0 at half time..

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Some amazingly good performances by the Thinderbolts.

The good news is, the Saffers are probably as strong as they can be, whereas our squad could be strengthened with a couple of judicious imports from the Test squad.

The bad news is, the Keewees will also strengthen their team, and James Stannard will be a couple of years older.

T

TOCC

Olympic qualification for the men is looking good at the early point in the season, if Australia can't remain in the top 4 lets hope New Zealand and Fiji do, that would mean a significantly easier process to qualify through the Oceania region.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Olympic qualification for the men is looking good at the early point in the season, if Australia can't remain in the top 4 lets hope New Zealand and Fiji do, that would mean a significantly easier process to qualify through the Oceania region.

That would be good but no doubt the automatic qualifiers would get the favourable seedings for the draw; and if Australia is going to have a shot at the semis (after which anything could happen) then a good draw will help.

Was just looking at the current standings of 2014-15 after three rounds of nine, and comparing them with the final standings of 2013-14.

Outside of the top three teams the main countries who have lost ground - this year to date/(last year) - more than one place:

Kenya - 14th (7th)
Canada - 12th (6th)
England - 6th (4th)

Those who have gained ground:

Argentina - 5th (9th)
Scotland - 8th (12th)
USA - 9th (13th)

Australia has gained one place - 4th (5th).

Argentina is the most serious improver in the competition for the fourth spot as automatic qualifier and no doubt England (Great Britain) will pick up their game.

It will be fascinating for the remaining six Sevens' tournaments to see which of Australia, England and Argentina gained points on, or lost points to, the other two countries each weekend.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is it really important the Sevens for Australian rugby?

I think no, it's more important for the AOC (Australian Olympic Committee).

As a rugby supporter, I'm more concerned about the health of Australian rugby in their 3 most important levels: NRC, Super Rugby and Wallabies TBH

Before winning the Olympic gold in Sevens, I prefer a real and solid growth of NRC, larger audiences for TV and greater crowds in Super Rugby and the Wallabies return to their golden years, beating NZ repeatedly. :D

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is it really important the Sevens for Australian rugby?

I think no, it's more important for the AOC (Australian Olympic Committee).

As a rugby supporter, I'm more concerned about the health of Australian rugby in their 3 most important levels: NRC, Super Rugby and Wallabies TBH

Before winning the Olympic gold in Sevens, I prefer a real and solid growth of NRC, larger audiences for TV and greater crowds in Super Rugby and the Wallabies return to their golden years, beating NZ repeatedly. :D

I think most rugby fans would agree, but Sevens has more potential to reach the wider public than anything other than the world cup. If Australia can win a medal (especially a gold) in either men's or women's sevens it will be a huge boost for the game.

That would then flow on to boost sponsorship and hopefully the Australian leg of the world series. The HKRFU make big money from the Hong Kong sevens. To the point where it now has over AUD$42 million in assets. While it would take a long time to achieve, there's no reason why our leg couldn't one day be a big revenue winner for the ARU. First step - start hosting it in Sydney.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
7s is also a great introduction to the sport for new players. Particularly in those teenage years where we are losing players (as all sports are) and it's hard to attract new players.

T

TOCC

That would be good but no doubt the automatic qualifiers would get the favourable seedings for the draw; and if Australia is going to have a shot at the semis (after which anything could happen) then a good draw will help.

Was just looking at the current standings of 2014-15 after three rounds of nine, and comparing them with the final standings of 2013-14.

Outside of the top three teams the main countries who have lost ground - this year to date/(last year) - more than one place:

Kenya - 14th (7th)
Canada - 12th (6th)
England - 6th (4th)

Those who have gained ground:

Argentina - 5th (9th)
Scotland - 8th (12th)
USA - 9th (13th)

Australia has gained one place - 4th (5th).

Yep automatic qualification is indeed the preferred option, although the qualification process could make it a bit more dramatic!

Kenya has had pay disputes I believe, I don't think the current team is the best available..

I wonder if Canada's skip in rankings has anything to do with a certain coach leaving?